Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And so it begins, 2 girls arrested in Steubenville for threats

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 116 Replies

Here is the latest in the Steubenville Ohio case.  http://news.msn.com/us/2-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-rape-victim

2 arrested for allegedly threatening Steubenville rape victim

WTOV9 reported that two juveniles were arrested for allegedly making threats against the victim in the Steubenville rape case.

Two juvenile girls have been arrested for allegedly threatening the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, teen rape case.

Steubenville's WTOV9 reported that the two juveniles made the alleged threats on social media websites. According to WTOV9, they face aggravated menacing charges.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said the girls arrested Monday posted threatening Facebook and Twitter comments Sunday, the day the players were convicted in Steubenville. DeWine says the girls are being held in juvenile detention on allegations of aggravated menacing after an investigation by state and local authorities. They have not yet been charged.

According to CNN, the girls are both Steubenville residents. Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla told CNN that one of the girls threatened to beat the victim, and another threatened to kill her.

DeWine says he hopes the arrests end harassment of the alleged victim.

Speaking to the station, Steubenville police Chief Bill McCafferty said the girls were arrested about 4 p.m. Monday.

A judge sentenced the players to at least a year in juvenile prison. A grand jury will look into whether others broke the law by not speaking up after the attack last summer.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carlyshort
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I knew it would happen. Stubenville is a city with a prominent football team. Teens are vicious when it comes to popular people. Sad. They need to be made an example of. Sadly this poor girl will be victim to this for awhile
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM
11 moms liked this

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousless little psychos. 

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Well I am saying this is just the beginning and I am waiting for the adults to be arrested for supplying alcohol.  But I am sure that this happens all over the country.  I am in New Orleans and I see how people just love their football team.  I know how the catholic schools will recruit from the public schools and playgrounds just to get a player.  Public schools do it to with other parishes to get the good players.  It's a shame. 

Quoting carlyshort:

I knew it would happen. Stubenville is a city with a prominent football team. Teens are vicious when it comes to popular people. Sad. They need to be made an example of. Sadly this poor girl will be victim to this for awhile

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

As I said, I want to see the adults arrested as well.  That will be great.

Quoting autodidact:

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousness little psychos. 

DanaG70
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I read something about this earlier, I say it's good they are going to do something about the bullying.

Unfortunately it probably won't stop the harassment.

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

But at least they are trying to do something.  I don't understand why these two girls are that stupid to put something out there via social media that can be traced.  I mean, I am not that old, but are you really telling me that these girls don't realize that things can be traced?  I don't know much about apple products, but I can figure things out and there are things I will never put on the internet, facebook, etc. 

And one of the facebook pages I do have  that I look at once in a while only have the weird music I listen to (I listen to movie soundtracks, and I look up music from movie trailers that I like), stores I shop at and a knitting group. 

Quoting DanaG70:

I read something about this earlier, I say it's good they are going to do something about the bullying.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
What crazy little twits!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM
15 moms liked this

Glad they arrested them.

But I really need to get off of the internet. Rape apologists are rampant. This culture we live in...fuck, this fucking culture. My head almost exploded reading some of the tripe from the lowest common denominator of what I'll loosely term humanity. 

I can't even...

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

That's why I had to stop reading a lot of it where they were blaming her.  I am waiting for them to arrest many of the fine citizens of Steubenville. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Glad they arrested them.

But I really need to get off of the internet. Rape apologists are rampant. This culture we live in...fuck, this fucking culture. My head almost exploded reading some of the tripe from the lowest common denominator of what I'll loosely term humanity. 

I can't even...

DanaG70
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I have four teens, and I have access to their facebook pages, and no, a lot of people don't think about that ahead of time, I'm beginning to think that a lot of times they don't think at all. They didn't think they would be caught.

My best friends niece just did something simular, only instead of harassing her sister, whom she lives with, she offered two guys, via twitter, money to either "mess" her sister up by punching her in the face with brass knuckles, or to kill her sister, even offered them money, and no she wasn't kidding. Sad part to the whole thing? My best friend was the only one that cared enough to do something about it. The girls dad just kind of blew it off and his "girlfriend" doesn't have a backbone and doesn't want "to get involved", even though she lives there.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

But at least they are trying to do something.  I don't understand why these two girls are that stupid to put something out there via social media that can be traced.  I mean, I am not that old, but are you really telling me that these girls don't realize that things can be traced?  I don't know much about apple products, but I can figure things out and there are things I will never put on the internet, facebook, etc. 

And one of the facebook pages I do have  that I look at once in a while only have the weird music I listen to (I listen to movie soundtracks, and I look up music from movie trailers that I like), stores I shop at and a knitting group. 

Quoting DanaG70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)