Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And so it begins, 2 girls arrested in Steubenville for threats

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is the latest in the Steubenville Ohio case.  http://news.msn.com/us/2-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-rape-victim

2 arrested for allegedly threatening Steubenville rape victim

WTOV9 reported that two juveniles were arrested for allegedly making threats against the victim in the Steubenville rape case.

Two juvenile girls have been arrested for allegedly threatening the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, teen rape case.

Steubenville's WTOV9 reported that the two juveniles made the alleged threats on social media websites. According to WTOV9, they face aggravated menacing charges.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said the girls arrested Monday posted threatening Facebook and Twitter comments Sunday, the day the players were convicted in Steubenville. DeWine says the girls are being held in juvenile detention on allegations of aggravated menacing after an investigation by state and local authorities. They have not yet been charged.

According to CNN, the girls are both Steubenville residents. Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla told CNN that one of the girls threatened to beat the victim, and another threatened to kill her.

DeWine says he hopes the arrests end harassment of the alleged victim.

Speaking to the station, Steubenville police Chief Bill McCafferty said the girls were arrested about 4 p.m. Monday.

A judge sentenced the players to at least a year in juvenile prison. A grand jury will look into whether others broke the law by not speaking up after the attack last summer.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting valhallaarwen:

As I said, I want to see the adults arrested as well.  That will be great.

Quoting autodidact:

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousness little psychos. 

In the one article I read about it, it appeared that the party is an annual event and adults (parents?) supplied the alcohol. I've wondered if they ever charged those adults or will charge them. People really need to get past the idea that the misdeeds, horrible actions, etc. by some should somehow be overlooked because said perpetrator happens to be good at playing a game.
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Wow, how sick are these girls?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting valhallaarwen:

As I said, I want to see the adults arrested as well.  That will be great.

Quoting autodidact:

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousness little psychos. 

I didn't hear this part of the story.  What happened?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
4 moms liked this
I am overwhelmingly impressed with the law enforcement involved in this whole incident. It may have taken anonymous to get the ball rolling, but it must have been eye-opening. No-one should get away with demonizing this victim. No-one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

From what I understand, the STATE attourney general's office and state patrol are running the prosecutions and investigations, on the grounds that the local authorities are too biased to effectively investigate or prosecute.  And the state only got involved after Anonymous started posting stuff and making a stir.  At least the state officials have some semblance of a conscious, even if the locals don't.  :-(

Quoting stringtheory:

I am overwhelmingly impressed with the law enforcement involved in this whole incident. It may have taken anonymous to get the ball rolling, but it must have been eye-opening. No-one should get away with demonizing this victim. No-one.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Good...perhaps holding these little brats responsible for their actions might send a message to some of the other idiots.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I was wondering about how the community planned to protect the victim. I guess not very well.

It is such a shame that this girls' life is completely turned upside down.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I completely agree with this. This whole case makes me sick and angry and society just sucks.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Glad they arrested them.

But I really need to get off of the internet. Rape apologists are rampant. This culture we live in...fuck, this fucking culture. My head almost exploded reading some of the tripe from the lowest common denominator of what I'll loosely term humanity. 

I can't even...

gammie
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would move if I was the family, I would not want to live where they make their football players into Gods.

SICK PEOPLE!!

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is good.  The AG is sending a message loud and clear that cyber bullying will not be tolerated.  If only the school officials and police had done their jobs in South Hadley, MA Phoebe Prince might still be alive.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)