Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And so it begins, 2 girls arrested in Steubenville for threats

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is the latest in the Steubenville Ohio case.  http://news.msn.com/us/2-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-rape-victim

2 arrested for allegedly threatening Steubenville rape victim

WTOV9 reported that two juveniles were arrested for allegedly making threats against the victim in the Steubenville rape case.

Two juvenile girls have been arrested for allegedly threatening the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, teen rape case.

Steubenville's WTOV9 reported that the two juveniles made the alleged threats on social media websites. According to WTOV9, they face aggravated menacing charges.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said the girls arrested Monday posted threatening Facebook and Twitter comments Sunday, the day the players were convicted in Steubenville. DeWine says the girls are being held in juvenile detention on allegations of aggravated menacing after an investigation by state and local authorities. They have not yet been charged.

According to CNN, the girls are both Steubenville residents. Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla told CNN that one of the girls threatened to beat the victim, and another threatened to kill her.

DeWine says he hopes the arrests end harassment of the alleged victim.

Speaking to the station, Steubenville police Chief Bill McCafferty said the girls were arrested about 4 p.m. Monday.

A judge sentenced the players to at least a year in juvenile prison. A grand jury will look into whether others broke the law by not speaking up after the attack last summer.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'm just floored by this whole thing.  I'm floored by the blame the victim mentality.  I'm floored that these girls are such jerks.  I keep looking at my kids (who are only 5) and thinking how utterly disappointed I would be in them if they chose to support rapists.  How does this happen??

I would move as well, if I could.  This poor girl has been through so much ... and then to not even have the support of the other people in town?  Every single one of them should be protecting her, caring for her, and telling her it's ok, she's not to blame.  Instead, you have these jerkwads behaving this way.  What are we teaching our young people?

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM

For many of them, it starts with a parent saying, "Keep your legs closed."  Then, anyone who is no longer virginal, through their own actions or actions forced on them is damaged goods deserving of whatever happened.  It's truly sad.

Quoting pansyprincess:

I'm just floored by this whole thing.  I'm floored by the blame the victim mentality.  I'm floored that these girls are such jerks.  I keep looking at my kids (who are only 5) and thinking how utterly disappointed I would be in them if they chose to support rapists.  How does this happen??

I would move as well, if I could.  This poor girl has been through so much ... and then to not even have the support of the other people in town?  Every single one of them should be protecting her, caring for her, and telling her it's ok, she's not to blame.  Instead, you have these jerkwads behaving this way.  What are we teaching our young people?

Mama2Spencerninja

TerriAnne2606
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Arrest them and throw them in jail.  

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I've read a few more news stories on this. Seems to me, the kids were out until 2-3-4 in the morning. This is an Applachian town with a long history of crime, booze, etc. A bunch of kids were in on it.

I think the parents should be charged as accessories (not just providing alcohol to minors) and perhaps everyone else who was there- as accessories. There was a boy who offered three $ for someone to urinate on the girl, another who removed her shirt and left her in her bra, on and on. The coaches apparently covered it up.. all sorts of things are coming out now.

It's a serious and deep problem there, the town, the football team, the adults... I think I'd move if I were the girls family. It's not going to get better.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This truly makes me sick.. What ever happened to compassion, respect and protection of the victim.. I hope these girls are in jail for a while and kicked out of school! I would also like to hear what their parents do to them,

zoniechick
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Oh my gosh, is this true? No wonder some of these kids have no morals. One thing to have a beer with your 17 yr old. Totally diffrent to supply dozens of(today's) teens  with hard alcohol.  Wow. I am at a loss.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting valhallaarwen:

As I said, I want to see the adults arrested as well.  That will be great.

Quoting autodidact:

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousness little psychos. 

In the one article I read about it, it appeared that the party is an annual event and adults (parents?) supplied the alcohol. I've wondered if they ever charged those adults or will charge them. People really need to get past the idea that the misdeeds, horrible actions, etc. by some should somehow be overlooked because said perpetrator happens to be good at playing a game.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

I am overwhelmingly impressed with the law enforcement involved in this whole incident. It may have taken anonymous to get the ball rolling, but it must have been eye-opening. No-one should get away with demonizing this victim. No-one.

I agree in the sense of this specific incident. I have to wonder though, news reports have stated this was at 2-3-4 in the morning. minors, drinking...

Where were the officers with curfew enforcement? This is apparently not a new problem there. What about all the adults allowing kids ot be out at that hour. Something is amiss there.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
It isn't just this town. This happens every weekend all over the country. Social media played an important role in not allowing this instance to be swept under the rug as it usually is. Social media is holding these people accountable for their actions. Now people may think twice before engaging in this kind if behavior. It can no longer be hidden. I see thus as a good thing.

Quoting Ziva65:

I've read a few more news stories on this. Seems to me, the kids were out until 2-3-4 in the morning. This is an Applachian town with a long history of crime, booze, etc. A bunch of kids were in on it.

I think the parents should be charged as accessories (not just providing alcohol to minors) and perhaps everyone else who was there- as accessories. There was a boy who offered three $ for someone to urinate on the girl, another who removed her shirt and left her in her bra, on and on. The coaches apparently covered it up.. all sorts of things are coming out now.

It's a serious and deep problem there, the town, the football team, the adults... I think I'd move if I were the girls family. It's not going to get better.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear1978
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
You are so not alone in your sentiments.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Glad they arrested them.

But I really need to get off of the internet. Rape apologists are rampant. This culture we live in...fuck, this fucking culture. My head almost exploded reading some of the tripe from the lowest common denominator of what I'll loosely term humanity. 

I can't even...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

From my understanding they were at either a coach's house of one of the player's house and the alcohol was provided.  I don't know where the adults were. But these girls threatened after the case I believe because one of the girls is the cousin of one of the boys.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting valhallaarwen:

As I said, I want to see the adults arrested as well.  That will be great.

Quoting autodidact:

GOOD. that they were arrested, not that they are consciousness little psychos. 

I didn't hear this part of the story.  What happened?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN