Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And so it begins, 2 girls arrested in Steubenville for threats

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is the latest in the Steubenville Ohio case.  http://news.msn.com/us/2-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-rape-victim

2 arrested for allegedly threatening Steubenville rape victim

WTOV9 reported that two juveniles were arrested for allegedly making threats against the victim in the Steubenville rape case.

Two juvenile girls have been arrested for allegedly threatening the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, teen rape case.

Steubenville's WTOV9 reported that the two juveniles made the alleged threats on social media websites. According to WTOV9, they face aggravated menacing charges.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said the girls arrested Monday posted threatening Facebook and Twitter comments Sunday, the day the players were convicted in Steubenville. DeWine says the girls are being held in juvenile detention on allegations of aggravated menacing after an investigation by state and local authorities. They have not yet been charged.

According to CNN, the girls are both Steubenville residents. Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla told CNN that one of the girls threatened to beat the victim, and another threatened to kill her.

DeWine says he hopes the arrests end harassment of the alleged victim.

Speaking to the station, Steubenville police Chief Bill McCafferty said the girls were arrested about 4 p.m. Monday.

A judge sentenced the players to at least a year in juvenile prison. A grand jury will look into whether others broke the law by not speaking up after the attack last summer.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I am sorry this is happening to your friend and I hope your friend first whips that ass for what she did after she gets her arrested for attempted murder, solicitation, etc. 

Quoting DanaG70:

I have four teens, and I have access to their facebook pages, and no, a lot of people don't think about that ahead of time, I'm beginning to think that a lot of times they don't think at all. They didn't think they would be caught.

My best friends niece just did something simular, only instead of harassing her sister, whom she lives with, she offered two guys, via twitter, money to either "mess" her sister up by punching her in the face with brass knuckles, or to kill her sister, even offered them money, and no she wasn't kidding. Sad part to the whole thing? My best friend was the only one that cared enough to do something about it. The girls dad just kind of blew it off and his "girlfriend" doesn't have a backbone and doesn't want "to get involved", even though she lives there.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Their mothers are probably the idiots supporting the "A finger f--k is not rape" post.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Consequences of your actions is a good lesson for these little twatwaffles

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Right it is  good thing no matter what. I acutally hope far more people are charged as accessories, kids and adults.

It seems to me though this town is particularly steeped in issues (high crime rates as compared to other cities across the country, it scored a 4 out of 100,with 100 bein the safest). I can't say that about where I live at all (top 20 out of 100 in terms of low crime rates). We have really strict curfews on kids, and it's enforced, DUI's published in the paper, expulsions for drunk teens zero tolerance, etc. Three high schools, 100,000 people. The crime rate was something we looked at closely before selecting this city.

As for teens drinking though/ social media, kids without morals, a concience or adequate parental supervision, it's still a problem, everwhere. I totally agree.

Quoting NWP:

It isn't just this town. This happens every weekend all over the country. Social media played an important role in not allowing this instance to be swept under the rug as it usually is. Social media is holding these people accountable for their actions. Now people may think twice before engaging in this kind if behavior. It can no longer be hidden. I see thus as a good thing.

Quoting Ziva65:

I've read a few more news stories on this. Seems to me, the kids were out until 2-3-4 in the morning. This is an Applachian town with a long history of crime, booze, etc. A bunch of kids were in on it.

I think the parents should be charged as accessories (not just providing alcohol to minors) and perhaps everyone else who was there- as accessories. There was a boy who offered three $ for someone to urinate on the girl, another who removed her shirt and left her in her bra, on and on. The coaches apparently covered it up.. all sorts of things are coming out now.

It's a serious and deep problem there, the town, the football team, the adults... I think I'd move if I were the girls family. It's not going to get better.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

WTF - I don't even want to read that crazy bullshit trash.

Quoting macbudsmom:

Their mothers are probably the idiots supporting the "A finger f--k is not rape" post.

Mcelly
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Stupid teen bisches going to jail!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

And I am sure more people will be arrested.  In the old days, we had a thing known as a slam book, I don't have to describe it.  That was one of the worst things I've ever done in high school, when it came to certain questions.  Well I was only confront once about something  I wrote and someone's name that I mentioned on something (most likely who do you have a crush on, and the person had a girlfriend who confronted me). But that is about it.  Or if you gossiped too much.  But you learned how to keep your mouth shut. Now, the internet has no boundaries and folks are quick to blab all over and that is a problem.

Now don't get upset when I say this, but one of the reasons why these things will continue to happen, drinking out of control is that folks, especially teens in the US don't know how to drink ( I am not in favor of underage drinking at all) but the majority of times, there is no food, real food when one choses to drink.  If you have a full stomach or near full, the alcohol will not affect you as much.  That is a problem.  That is what I observed as a kid growing up, black folks would have food where as white folks would have chips and dips, which don't fill you up.  I am not saying white folks don't have real food, because I've been to white folks who have real food (okay, southerners have real food)  and I am sure some black folks have finger foods too. If you don't eat, you will get drunk faster.  I am not being a racist, I am simply observing what I see/have seen.  That is why I sometimes hate mardi gras because you will see all these drunk ass college kids woozy and you can tell that all they do is drink. 

Quoting Ziva65:

Right it is  good thing no matter what. I acutally hope far more people are charged as accessories, kids and adults.

It seems to me though this town is particularly steeped in issues (high crime rates as compared to other cities across the country, it scored a 4 out of 100,with 100 bein the safest). I can't say that about where I live at all (top 20 out of 100 in terms of low crime rates). We have really strict curfews on kids, and it's enforced, DUI's published in the paper, expulsions for drunk teens zero tolerance, etc. Three high schools, 100,000 people. The crime rate was something we looked at closely before selecting this city.

As for teens drinking though/ social media, kids without morals, a concience or adequate parental supervision, it's still a problem, everwhere. I totally agree.

Quoting NWP:

It isn't just this town. This happens every weekend all over the country. Social media played an important role in not allowing this instance to be swept under the rug as it usually is. Social media is holding these people accountable for their actions. Now people may think twice before engaging in this kind if behavior. It can no longer be hidden. I see thus as a good thing.

Quoting Ziva65:

I've read a few more news stories on this. Seems to me, the kids were out until 2-3-4 in the morning. This is an Applachian town with a long history of crime, booze, etc. A bunch of kids were in on it.

I think the parents should be charged as accessories (not just providing alcohol to minors) and perhaps everyone else who was there- as accessories. There was a boy who offered three $ for someone to urinate on the girl, another who removed her shirt and left her in her bra, on and on. The coaches apparently covered it up.. all sorts of things are coming out now.

It's a serious and deep problem there, the town, the football team, the adults... I think I'd move if I were the girls family. It's not going to get better.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
They all mess up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
They are convening a grand jury as we speak.

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Ziva65:

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
The poor girl will suffer for awhile. Probably have to move somewhere far away from this town and those people in order to have a decent life. I feel for her. And her parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)