Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chase denies hacking in vanishing balances

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 5 Replies

Chase Bank experienced technical difficulties for over an hour Monday night, worrying customers who logged into their accounts and saw their balance at $0 or were unable to get any access to them at all.

A spokesman for the bank said it was strictly an internal technical issue and customers' accounts were not in danger.

"The problems are an issue with the checking account portion of chase.com, nothing to do with mortgage or credit banking. We have a technology problem regarding customers balance information that we are working to resolve," the spokesman to CBS News. "It has nothing to do with cyber threats or hacks. It is an internal issue. We are very sorry to our customers for the inconvenience."

Within two hours, the bank tweeted that the issue was resolved. Customers reported seeing their balances once again.

Still, hundreds of Chase users expressed their frustration on Twitter and Facebook. Many reported seeing their account balances listed as "$0" on mobile devices, while others said they got a "System Unavail" message when logged into the bank's website on their computers.

The hacking collective "Anonymous" said they were responsible for the vanishing balances on Twitter, but there is no evidence supporting their claim.

As CNET's Steven Musil notes, the scare was only natural given that the disappearing balances occurred "less than a week after a massive distributed-denial-of-service attack rendered Chase's Web sites useless for many hours." In that case, customers trying to use chase.com's banking tools were greeted with a note that the site was "temporarily down."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57575023/chase-denies-hacking-in-vanishing-balances/

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lga1965
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM
......and?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting lga1965:

......and?

You don't think there is an issue if people can hack a bank and make it so people can't remove their money? I wonder too if they had to do a roll back to saved data and some transactions might have been lost in the process. 

Also, who is going to want to bank with a bank that's having computer issues at least once a week. Hackers could put a company out of business if they decide to target the same people. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
The problem is fixed,over and done. This has happened at Wells Fargo and US Bank too.
If you dislike banks, you can put your money in a coffee can and bury it in your backyard, like one of our customers did down south in a bank where I worked....
Get a grip. You obviously lack trust.....if there is an error, they fix it . That was part of my job. Have you any knowledge of banking and finance at all? I bet not.....

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting lga1965:

......and?

You don't think there is an issue if people can hack a bank and make it so people can't remove their money? I wonder too if they had to do a roll back to saved data and some transactions might have been lost in the process. 

Also, who is going to want to bank with a bank that's having computer issues at least once a week. Hackers could put a company out of business if they decide to target the same people. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I don't bank with them directly so it doesn't affect me. I'm not quite sure why you thought I lost a grip. I was just saying if they're hacked a third time, then they're probably going to start loosing customers. I just thought it might be an interesting discussion on how hackers can affect businesses even if they don't actually steal any data. If the discussion doesn't interest you, I'm not sure why you replied. I am use to my posts not getting many replies where they do tend to involve finances. 

If you're looking for a fight, then you're probably responding to the wrong person because I'm not really interested. 

Quoting lga1965:

The problem is fixed,over and done. This has happened at Wells Fargo and US Bank too.
If you dislike banks, you can put your money in a coffee can and bury it in your backyard, like one of our customers did down south in a bank where I worked....
Get a grip. You obviously lack trust.....if there is an error, they fix it . That was part of my job. Have you any knowledge of banking and finance at all? I bet not.....

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting lga1965:

......and?

lga1965
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
And of course you were all calm and cool and not the least confrontational or anti-bank ,right.
Your post was panicky.
And this subject has been covered dozens of times on CM already.
Yawn.....
Bye now
Quoting smalltowngal:

I don't bank with them directly so it doesn't affect me. I'm not quite sure why you thought I lost a grip. I was just saying if they're hacked a third time, then they're probably going to start loosing customers. I just thought it might be an interesting discussion on how hackers can affect businesses even if they don't actually steal any data. If the discussion doesn't interest you, I'm not sure why you replied. I am use to my posts not getting many replies where they do tend to involve finances. 

If you're looking for a fight, then you're probably responding to the wrong person because I'm not really interested. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting lga1965:

......and?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)