Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How does a kid get this evil? Chardon Shooter Gets Life Without Parole

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 41 Replies

How does a kid get this evil?

Chardon Shooter Gets Life Without Parole

Posted by on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

LaneImage.jpg

TJ Lane was sentenced to three life sentences without parole, plus 17 years, for the Chardon shooting in February, 2012.

In the courtroom, Lane was wearing a white t-shirt with "KILLER" written in black marker across the chest. He was smirking through the duration of the proceedings and appeared to be fending off giggles as the family members of his victims made testimonials.

In general, he seemed delighted by the prospect of his notoriety and bored by the havoc he wreaked. Lane was bopping his head, rolling his eyes, and openly smiling through much of the judge's sentencing.

"You're evil," said the mother of one of the three boys killed in Lane's rampage. "Because of you our quiet little town will never be the same again."

The judge denied that Lane was ever mentally unstable or incompetent during the time of the incident. He said that Lane acted alone and has demonstrated and utter lack of remorse.

During his own statement, which his counsel advised against, Lane gave the courtroom the middle finger.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

From wiki on the shooting:

Chardon High School shooting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Chardon High School Shooting

Location of Chardon, Ohio
Location Chardon, Ohio, United States
Coordinates 41°35′28″N 81°12′1″WCoordinates: 41°35′28″N 81°12′1″W
Date February 27, 2012
7:30 am (EST)
Target Chardon High School
Attack type School shooting, murder
Weapon(s) Ruger MK III .22 caliber semi-automatic handgun[1][2]
Deaths 3
Injured (non-fatal) 3
Suspected perpetrator Thomas M. Lane, III (AKA: "T.J. Lane")[3][4]

The Chardon High School shooting occurred on February 27, 2012, at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio, United States. At the time of the incident, it was the deadliest shooting in a public high school in the United States since 2005. Three students died within the two days following the incident. Two others were hospitalized: one of whom sustained several serious injuries requiring extensive rehabilitation, the other with a minor injury. A sixth student sustained a superficial wound.

While rumors of a warning of the event having been posted on the internet circulated, student witnesses identified the shooter as Thomas "T.J." Lane.[3] The police apprehended one suspect in the case. Although they were initially hesitant to release the identification of the juvenile, by the evening of February 28 authorities confirmed that the suspect was Lane.

The weapon Lane used in the shooting was a .22 caliber handgun. At an initial court hearing, the prosecutor revealed that he admitted to shooting 10 rounds of ammunition from the gun during the shooting, which began in the school cafeteria at approximately 7:30 a.m., shortly after school began. Although Lane told police that he did not know the victims and that they were chosen randomly, witnesses stated that it appeared he targeted a specific student and the group he was sitting with in the cafeteria.

After the shooting occurred, the gunman left the building. Witnesses said that he was chased from the building by a teacher, and was arrested a short time later in a location outside the school. Thomas M. Lane, III was indicted on three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of aggravated attempted murder, and one count of felonious assault. He was initially detained as a juvenile pending further court action.

Reaction to the event prompted a statement from Ohio Governor, John Kasich. Several prayer vigils were held and a fund for the victims was established. Thousands of people attended one of the vigils, at which the Governor spoke, the night after the attack. When the Westboro Baptist Church announced that they would demonstrate at the funeral of one of the victims, thousands more turned out to counter-protest. President Barack Obama gave his condolences to the school principal in a telephone call following the incident. Analysis of the crime and comparisons to similar attacks began immediately following the shooting.

4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

My personal opinion is that what his father became has something to do with it.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Quoting 4music:

What did his father become?

4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Shortly after we graduated high school he became a junkie, violent criminal, fathered children across the county with complete disregard for their upbringing/support and attempted to murder-strangle and drown his wife (briefly TJs step mother).  Basically a violent sociopath.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting 4music:

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality”
furbabymum
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Poor lawyer who had to defend him. I bet he had to drink a lot!

furbabymum
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Well that could certainly screw a kid up!

Quoting 4music:

Shortly after we graduated high school he became a junkie, violent criminal, fathered children across the county with complete disregard for their upbringing/support and attempted to murder-strangle and drown his wife (briefly TJs step mother).  Basically a violent sociopath.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting 4music:

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

There are some people, who, while competent, are simply "wrong". They have no remorse, no ability for empathy, they are simply unable to even understand what it is to be a decent person.

Some learn to fake it. Some don't bother.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My ex was a violent sociopath and my children saw some very horrible violence, though they were young, and thus far at 28-32 they have not become violent sociopaths.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting 4music:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting 4music:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Soulless comes to mind.  Scary does too.

Quoting GLWerth:

There are some people, who, while competent, are simply "wrong". They have no remorse, no ability for empathy, they are simply unable to even understand what it is to be a decent person.

Some learn to fake it. Some don't bother.

furbabymum
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I assume they had you to counter act the bad. Who did this kid have? I'm not saying it's an excuse but everyone copes differently. Some people get depressed, some angry, some shut off emotion, etc. Plus I have to wonder if his mother drank when she was pregnant and he could have FAS. It has some amazing mental consequences.

Quoting survivorinohio:

My ex was a violent sociopath and my children saw some very horrible violence, though they were young, and thus far at 28-32 they have not become violent sociopaths.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting 4music:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting 4music:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN