Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen fatally shot when he mistakenly went into wrong house

Posted by   + Show Post

Teen fatally shot when he mistakenly went into wrong house

Family members hold photos of Caleb Gordley in Sterling, Va. (Associated Press/Ann Heisenfelt)

A 16-year-old who lived in Loudoun County, Va., was shot and killed when he accidentally entered the wrong house.

Caleb Gordley, a popular athlete who had been living in a brick house with his parents and sister for about a year, sneaked out of his house to go to a party with friends after he'd been grounded for not cleaning his room.

When he returned around 2 a.m. he slipped into the house he thought was his. Friends said he had been drinking and mistook his neighbor's similar house two doors down for his own and climbed in through the back window.

When the burglar alarm sounded, the homeowner treated Caleb as an intruder, and shot and killed him.

Caleb's father, Shawn Gordley, told The Washington Post, "They have the exact same staircase as us, the exact same carpet. Caleb clearly thought he was in his own house." He added, "He probably stumbled around and was just trying to go to his room."

At Sterling Park High school in Sterling, Va., students mourned the loss of a talented athlete. The coach of the basketball team, Mike Koscinski, who had advanced Caleb to varsity this year, said of the junior, "He was the hype man. He got everyone hyped up before games."

A statement from the family reads, "Between the darkness and him being under the influence of alcohol, his mistake turned into the ultimate tragedy."

Police are continuing to investigate the shooting, but Virginia law gives "wide latitude to people who fear for their safety when someone breaks into their homes," according to The Washington Post.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (211-213):
btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Well....I guess I am a bit confused at what you mean by *people like you*.  What exactly do you know about me.....please enlighten me?  I look forward to hearing all about it....I am sure you are currently backtracking to find out what else I posted, so you can actually find out a little about me, and my opinion on this subject.  I think you will be surprised at what you find out....

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Like the abortion "debates" on here, I find the topic of owning guns to protect the house to be equivalent to  beating a dead horse to death. I have made this argument so many times with people like you (no offense intended, truly!!!)  even "I" am sick and tired of hearing myself.......

Enjoy the thread btamilee!

Quoting btamilee:

The problem with that is......your own life could be taken if you stand around and ask the person breaking into your house at  2 am if they are there to play a game of cribbage...

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This is very sad. What's worse, I am not surprised. People are so ready to shoot first and ask questions later. SMH

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

ROTFL nah- I don;t work like that! I don;t stalk people and find out about what they post LOL although I am positive there are a fair share number of posters here who will do just that! LOL

The only thing i know about you is just what you wrote: your own life could be taken if you stand around and ask the person breaking into your house at  2 am if they are there to play a game of cribbage...

Generally speaking those who post such opinions are the shoot to kill type; kill home innvaders must be shot on sight, yada,yada...if you care to do your own "research" I have been involved in numerous threads with posters who have similar views as yours. You have every right to them- I'm just more than a little tired to beat a dead horse to death- as I mentioned prevuiously; been there, done that.....I was simply trying to be poite by responding to your quote of me but also letting you know, I do not care to argue with you.

I simply find the whole OP very sad. Very sad for what has occured. and I am saddened because I am not surprised at this occurenace. I think THAT is more disheartening than anythign else actually. The fact that I am not surprised......

Quoting btamilee:

Well....I guess I am a bit confused at what you mean by *people like you*.  What exactly do you know about me.....please enlighten me?  I look forward to hearing all about it....I am sure you are currently backtracking to find out what else I posted, so you can actually find out a little about me, and my opinion on this subject.  I think you will be surprised at what you find out....

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Like the abortion "debates" on here, I find the topic of owning guns to protect the house to be equivalent to  beating a dead horse to death. I have made this argument so many times with people like you (no offense intended, truly!!!)  even "I" am sick and tired of hearing myself.......

Quoting btamilee:

The problem with that is......your own life could be taken if you stand around and ask the person breaking into your house at  2 am if they are there to play a game of cribbage...

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This is very sad. What's worse, I am not surprised. People are so ready to shoot first and ask questions later. SMH

btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I get what you are saying, I just think it might be a good idea if you.....took a few minutes to get to know a little about me before you ASSUME that I am gun owner, or even like guns.  Which....just so you know...are NOT true of me. Never held a gun, don't own one....and never will.    I formed my personal opinion on the factsthat we know (which are actually not that many),  The young man was grounded, snuck out his bedroom window to meet his friends, went to a underage drinking party...proceeded to get so drunk that he could not tell his house from the neighbors, went through a window and set off the alarms...even after the alarms sounded proceeded into the house, was warned to stop...and still moved toward the home owner.  Although I am not a fan of guns.....this homeowner was within his legal rights, and I believe was fearing for his family.  For me its not so much about guns, as it is about a very tragic accident.  Which never would have happened, but for a teenager who made several very bad mistakes on that night,

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

ROTFL nah- I don;t work like that! I don;t stalk people and find out about what they post LOL although I am positive there are a fair share number of posters here who will do just that! LOL

The only thing i know about you is just what you wrote: your own life could be taken if you stand around and ask the person breaking into your house at  2 am if they are there to play a game of cribbage...

Generally speaking those who post such opinions are the shoot to kill type; kill home innvaders must be shot on sight, yada,yada...if you care to do your own "research" I have been involved in numerous threads with posters who have similar views as yours. You have every right to them- I'm just more than a little tired to beat a dead horse to death- as I mentioned prevuiously; been there, done that.....I was simply trying to be poite by responding to your quote of me but also letting you know, I do not care to argue with you.

I simply find the whole OP very sad. Very sad for what has occured. and I am saddened because I am not surprised at this occurenace. I think THAT is more disheartening than anythign else actually. The fact that I am not surprised......

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN