Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Wave Feminists: Not Feminist?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to want/vote for abortion to be illegal, and be a feminist as well?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

What are your thoughts on New Wave Feminist? Basically, they are pro-life feminists.

Can it be possible for someone to be actively be/vote against abortion (a woman's right), and be a feminist as well?

I don't mean someone who is personally against abortion, but doesn't care what others do. I am talking about women who are against abortion being legal, which takes away a womans right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, but say they are for womens rights, a feminist.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (81-90):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Yup, and also empowered to decide when and if they want to become a mother.  You want to take that choice away from a woman, I think you are not a feminist.  It doesn't make it true or not true, it just makes it my opinion on this question.  I don't know that there is a right answer, so I just answer in the way that I see it.

Quoting kailu1835:

Women are very empowered.  They are empowered to make their own choices about sex and conception.  Nobody should be empowered to take the life of an innocent human being.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope, not in my mind.  Feminism is about empowering woman.  This is going against empowering woman.  It is enslaving them to be an incubator when they don't want to be.  You are not a supporter of woman when you try to take their rights away.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I've always thought that feminists desired and fought for equality. Meaning; they only want what men have no more, no less. If this is true, then they wouldn't want any reproductive rights that men don't currently have as well, right? So until men have the right for their voice to be heard, and have their voice make a difference, then women should not have the right to something like an abortion unless the father agrees. I mean if we are discussing equality.
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Well heres the thing, I agree with you.  I think that feminism is about thinking and chosing for yourself.  So please explain to me how an anti-choice woman can be a feminist??  I think woman should have all available choices, and pick the best one for them.  I would fight for every single one of those choices for woman.  That's what a feminist does.  I would fight for you to be able to chose to stay home with your kids, or go to work.  It doesn't matter.  Woman should be in charge of their lives, their decisions, and very importantly, their bodies.  That's my definition of a feminist.  As soon as you want to start limiting the choices of woman, you lose that title in my book.

Quoting talia-mom:

I love how people who believe feminism is about letting women think and choose for themselves think that some women can't be feminists because they would dare think differently than they

AnastasiaKorsh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM
If your trying to take away the right women fought for, you are not a feminist. New age or otherwise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AnastasiaKorsh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Biology isn't equal. When a man can carry a pregnancy to term, then he has a right to make decisions about reproduction.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I've always thought that feminists desired and fought for equality. Meaning; they only want what men have no more, no less. If this is true, then they wouldn't want any reproductive rights that men don't currently have as well, right? So until men have the right for their voice to be heard, and have their voice make a difference, then women should not have the right to something like an abortion unless the father agrees. I mean if we are discussing equality.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Well said. A feminist is a woman who says "I want what a man has, no more no less". A feminist says "I believe in equality for all, including the unborn" A feminist says...."I will work from home while my husband works outside the home, and when the kids are older, he will work from home while I go to work outside the home". A feminist believes they are no more superior or powerful or important than men and children.
Quoting kailu1835:

Women are very empowered.  They are empowered to make their own choices about sex and conception.  Nobody should be empowered to take the life of an innocent human being.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope, not in my mind.  Feminism is about empowering woman.  This is going against empowering woman.  It is enslaving them to be an incubator when they don't want to be.  You are not a supporter of woman when you try to take their rights away.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I agree.  I am more than just my uterus.  I will not be held hostage to it.  And I don't need a bunch of random people telling me that I need to have a baby when I don't want one.

As someone who developed HELLP syndrome during my  last pregnancy, my OB told me no more babies.  I had given birth to 4, and that was enough, since once you get hellp, it raises your chances of getting it again.  We now have a more permanent form of BC.  If it failed, I would have an abortion.  There is no way I am going to support someone playing chicken with my life, and the life of my kids mom.  I have kids I want to be here for.  No potential life is worth losing the one I have.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is such a sad and sick idea.

Quoting pansyprincess:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
And until a woman can grow a penis, ejaculate, and fertilize her own egg she should NOT be the sole decision maker when it comes to the reproduction of another life.
Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

Biology isn't equal. When a man can carry a pregnancy to term, then he has a right to make decisions about reproduction.

Quoting KamWorthy:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Sure.

I don't really associate abortion with feminism. Feminism is about equal rights and pay. Abortion is a separate and non related issue. Imo.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM
The right to take the life of someone's child is not a law that should have ever been passed in the first place. It was born from lies, deception, and legal loop- holes. Women should have no more rights than men are afforded period!
Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

If your trying to take away the right women fought for, you are not a feminist. New age or otherwise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)