Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Wave Feminists: Not Feminist?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to want/vote for abortion to be illegal, and be a feminist as well?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

What are your thoughts on New Wave Feminist? Basically, they are pro-life feminists.

Can it be possible for someone to be actively be/vote against abortion (a woman's right), and be a feminist as well?

I don't mean someone who is personally against abortion, but doesn't care what others do. I am talking about women who are against abortion being legal, which takes away a womans right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, but say they are for womens rights, a feminist.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM

oh I bet it will : )

Quoting ashellbell:

No. Will it piss me off?

Quoting autodidact:

did you look at their site? I'm just trying to figure out where the feminism is. 

Quoting ashellbell:

Sure. All feminists aren't the same.

rgba
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM
YOU don't believe a fetus under 24 weeks is a child. I am simply trying to explain another viewpoint.

By the way, I am also prochoice and a feminist.

Quoting lga1965:

A fetus under 24 weeks is not viable and certainly not a child. I would not have an abortion and wouldn't tell anyone elsewhat to.do so I guess I wouldbe a pro choice feminist. I can't imagine any feminist being pro life.

Quoting rgba:

I believe so, yes.

The abortion debate is typically centered on whether you think a fetus is a "baby" with its own set of rights.

One can believe that a child's rights supercede those of a woman and still be a feminist.

Prochoicers typically don't consider a fetus to be a child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I don't disagree with you at all, I'm guess I'm just grasping at what their logic might be.

Quoting pansyprincess:

People may have a different definition of feminism than me ... but I think being anti-choice goes against everything that feminism is.  Forcing a woman to do something just because her body is capable of doing it, but she doesn't want to do it is just wrong to me regardless.  I get that people think innocent life trumps all else.  And they are welcome to make that decision in their life and with their body.  But they can't make it with mine.  And a true feminist IMO wouldn't try to make it in someone else's body.

Quoting ashellbell:

If a feminist believes in life at conception she probably thinks innocent life trumps that. That's the only conclusion I can come to.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope, not in my mind.  Feminism is about empowering woman.  This is going against empowering woman.  It is enslaving them to be an incubator when they don't want to be.  You are not a supporter of woman when you try to take their rights away.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It's probably a group of fundies trying to recruit by saying 'hey, look we're feminists too, it's what all the cool kids are doing.'

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting ashellbell:

No. Will it piss me off?

Quoting autodidact:

did you look at their site? I'm just trying to figure out where the feminism is. 

Quoting ashellbell:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Bingo. and they have the ovaries to call other women "fauxminists." 

Quoting ashellbell:

It's probably a group of fundies trying to recruit by saying 'hey, look we're feminists too, it's what all the cool kids are doing.'

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting ashellbell:

No. Will it piss me off?

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting ashellbell:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Sure. Someone can believe in a theory and have a personal opinion on a single subject that contradicts that theory. Feminism isn't just about abortion, it's about women as a whole, who are more than baby making machines.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

so OP, what about them is feminist? 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM
It amazes me the bullshit people come up with.

Quoting autodidact:

Bingo. and they have the ovaries to call other women "fauxminists." 

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting ashellbell:

No. Will it piss me off?

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting ashellbell:

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

No according to anti-choicers.  If we get pregnant, we can ONLY be baby making machines.  Which is why I think it goes directly against what being a feminist is. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Sure. Someone can believe in a theory and have a personal opinion on a single subject that contradicts that theory. Feminism isn't just about abortion, it's about women as a whole, who are more than baby making machines.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I am prochoice, but hate abortions. I think they are totally wrong and murder, but the reason why I call myself pro choice because I know how the government works. If they start taking away some rights they will try to take away more rights. I don't vote on anything relating to abortions.

I think feminist can be pro-life. The reason why I think this is because they probably believe on all the other parts of pro choice stance just the abortions they just can't agree on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN