Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Wave Feminists: Not Feminist?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to want/vote for abortion to be illegal, and be a feminist as well?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

What are your thoughts on New Wave Feminist? Basically, they are pro-life feminists.

Can it be possible for someone to be actively be/vote against abortion (a woman's right), and be a feminist as well?

I don't mean someone who is personally against abortion, but doesn't care what others do. I am talking about women who are against abortion being legal, which takes away a womans right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, but say they are for womens rights, a feminist.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

That is such a sad and sick idea.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope, not in my mind.  Feminism is about empowering woman.  This is going against empowering woman.  It is enslaving them to be an incubator when they don't want to be.  You are not a supporter of woman when you try to take their rights away.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I am perfectly happy letting women label themselves how ever they'd like. While there is certainly an English language definition, feminism is a loose term that is interpreted differently by different people.

Plenty of early feminists were racist...also contradictory to the definition many of us understand and ascribe to, but we still call them feminists.

Quoting pansyprincess:

No according to anti-choicers.  If we get pregnant, we can ONLY be baby making machines.  Which is why I think it goes directly against what being a feminist is. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Sure. Someone can believe in a theory and have a personal opinion on a single subject that contradicts that theory. Feminism isn't just about abortion, it's about women as a whole, who are more than baby making machines.

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Looking at their site, they are definitelly not feminists. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

nope

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Quoting autodidact:

they are "rightous"? feminism was "corrupted"?

how exactly are they feminists? 

Probably the same way that Christians that support  SSM are  Christians.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

next time you have nothing to say, say nothing. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting autodidact:

Liz132
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm somewhat of a feminist I guess, I'm all for women's rights and empowering women. I'm also pro life. I believe baby's should have basic human rights, they are a living beings even in the womb I think they should have the right to live. I feel that abortion is the killing of an inocent life which is far worse than a woman having to carry the baby for nine months. The baby which (in most cases) she had a say in creating, she choose to have sex knowing that it may produce a baby, perhaps she even chose not to use a from of protection or birth control. I'll never understand why my view somehow makes me anti women.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, being used as an inubator against one's will most certainly is sick and sad. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is such a sad and sick idea.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Nope, not in my mind.  Feminism is about empowering woman.  This is going against empowering woman.  It is enslaving them to be an incubator when they don't want to be.  You are not a supporter of woman when you try to take their rights away.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't agree with them on this issue, and I won't be working with them on any choice-limiting agenda, but I support their identifying as feminist.  The more people who are comfortable applying that word to themselves, the better.  I'd take a wait and see approach. 

Feminists arguing that other feminists aren't properly feminist always reminds me of the debates I see some Christians getting into where they call one another not Christian for having a different idea of the Trinity or a different stance on gay marriage.  It's entertaining, but not productive.  

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Chances are very slim that will ever happen, I'll let you know if it does.

Quoting autodidact:

next time you have nothing to say, say nothing. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting autodidact:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)