Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Wave Feminists: Not Feminist?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to want/vote for abortion to be illegal, and be a feminist as well?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

What are your thoughts on New Wave Feminist? Basically, they are pro-life feminists.

Can it be possible for someone to be actively be/vote against abortion (a woman's right), and be a feminist as well?

I don't mean someone who is personally against abortion, but doesn't care what others do. I am talking about women who are against abortion being legal, which takes away a womans right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, but say they are for womens rights, a feminist.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (211-215):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I agree. I just think they're pretty rare :D

And they're not the people who are ever likely to have a freak out based on 100% purely right vs. 100% purely evil...

Quoting KamWorthy:

No, I just believe the two can go hand in hand. The individual who is scusessful in pairing both faith and critical thinking is a well rounded, enhanced person.
Quoting LindaClement:

I don't think you are seeing the strength of belief to obliterate critical thinking ... 

Quoting KamWorthy:

I don't think you are giving those of faith enough credit.
Quoting LindaClement:

Because it's about belief, not reason.

When half of your belief is rooted in 'see how different we are from THEM' it's not a position the adherents will let go of because of some pesky matching documentation...

Quoting KamWorthy:

I don't know why. Anyone who can read and has any sembalance of intelligence can see that the OT and the NT go hand in hand, and play off of one another.
Quoting LindaClement:

You'd be amazed at how many Jewish and Christian folk disagree with you.

Well, and political history, too...

Quoting KamWorthy:

Jewish traditions, and Christianity have gone hand in hand for centuries. Read The Tanakh, and the B'Rit Hadashah for wisdom.
Quoting LindaClement:

100% of the roots of Christianity are in heathen philosophy: every single doctrine is a direct ripoff, as is virutally every symbol. Every practice of every sect of Christianity is a mimic of earlier pagan and Jewish rituals, with a huge pile cobbled together over the millennia since as more and more converts were enticed in with familiarity.

If Jesus didn't die for your sins (because you and every other human were born perfect) what, exactly did he die for?

Quoting kailu1835:

I do not believe that anyone is responsible for anyone else's sin.  This is affirmed in scripture after scripture throughout the Bible.  We are born perfect and without sin.  It is not until we are older and capable of making conscious decisions that we are capable of sin.  Without knowing what is right or wrong, how can any child be held accountable?  An infant doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, all he or she knows is whether or not he or she is uncomfortable for whatever reason (wet, hungry, tummy ache, etc).  Original Sin is a complete fabrication perpetuated by the Roman Catholic church back in the 5th century, and is not supported anywhere in the Bible.  In fact, its very roots are in heathen philosophy.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I think the discrimination is in those assuming that it's more rare than it really is.
Quoting LindaClement:

And they're not the people who are ever likely to have a freak out based on 100% purely right vs. 100% purely evil...

Quoting KamWorthy:

No, I just believe the two can go hand in hand. The individual who is scusessful in pairing both faith and critical thinking is a well rounded, enhanced person.
Quoting LindaClement:

I don't think you are seeing the strength of belief to obliterate critical thinking ... 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

When half of your belief is rooted in 'see how different we are from THEM' it's not a position the adherents will let go of because of some pesky matching documentation...

Quoting KamWorthy:

I don't know why. Anyone who can read and has any sembalance of intelligence can see that the OT and the NT go hand in hand, and play off of one another.
Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Jewish traditions, and Christianity have gone hand in hand for centuries. Read The Tanakh, and the B'Rit Hadashah for wisdom.
Quoting LindaClement:

100% of the roots of Christianity are in heathen philosophy: every single doctrine is a direct ripoff, as is virutally every symbol. Every practice of every sect of Christianity is a mimic of earlier pagan and Jewish rituals, with a huge pile cobbled together over the millennia since as more and more converts were enticed in with familiarity.

If Jesus didn't die for your sins (because you and every other human were born perfect) what, exactly did he die for?

Quoting kailu1835:

I do not believe that anyone is responsible for anyone else's sin.  This is affirmed in scripture after scripture throughout the Bible.  We are born perfect and without sin.  It is not until we are older and capable of making conscious decisions that we are capable of sin.  Without knowing what is right or wrong, how can any child be held accountable?  An infant doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, all he or she knows is whether or not he or she is uncomfortable for whatever reason (wet, hungry, tummy ache, etc).  Original Sin is a complete fabrication perpetuated by the Roman Catholic church back in the 5th century, and is not supported anywhere in the Bible.  In fact, its very roots are in heathen philosophy.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It's rare in public discourse.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I think the discrimination is in those assuming that it's more rare than it really is.
Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting kailu1835:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Freedom from the majority.
Quoting LindaClement:

It's rare in public discourse.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting kailu1835:

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

The website doesn't really tell you anything.  It says they want to take back feminism from those who corrupted it with birth control pills, posing in playboy and abortion, and it wants to go back to the Anthony/Stanton ideals. 

They need to be more specific before you can tell if they are feminists or not.  I think it's just a cover for another anti-choice club.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN