Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Couple Charged With Child Endangerment For Keeping Autistic Son In A Cage

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

Terry and Victoria Smith Charged With Child Endangerment For Keeping Autistic Son In A Cage

article image
By Evan Bleier, Tue, March 19, 2013

Missouri residents Terry and Victoria Smith have been charged with endangering the welfare of a child for allegedly keeping their severely autistic six-year-old son in a cage.

Authorities were alerted to what was going on when someone called in an anonymous tip to the Missouri Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline about two years ago. The boy and his five siblings were taken away from their parents but later returned.

The cage that the boy was kept in was a converted metal crib covered with plywood and held together with zip ties and bungee cords. The Smiths claim that he was put in the cage for his own protection.

When the boy was rescued, he was naked, sitting in his own urine and feces, but had several toys with him and appeared content. It has been reported that conditions in the rest of the house were also filthy, according to The Daily Mail. The boy's siblings told police they would rarely be allowed to play with their brother. They said that the boy was often fed hot dogs and chicken nuggets through the bars of the cage.

"We certainly understand that any parent is going to have stressful times, especially parents with severely developmentally disabled children," St. Charles County Prosecutor Tim Lohmar said. "But our view is that this was a completely inappropriate way to handle this particular situation."

"That is just terrible and so hard to understand," Neighbor Theresa Brightwell said. "Everything seemed normal, but you never know what is going on behind closed doors."

She continued:

"That child deserves a good life," Brightwell said. "I would see him out here sometimes, but we just did not know. They should be in jail for a really long time,"

The parents were charged Friday with one felony count each of first-degree endangering the welfare of a child. Bail was set at $2,500 for each. The Smiths could face seven years in prison if convicted of first-degree child endangerment

Sources: (The Daily Mail); (Fox 8)

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

These stories break my heart...

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I hope they get the seven years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I hope they get 7 X 7 years.  This is inhuman and unforgivable.

Rach91o
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
what has this world come to.. stories like this make me so angry. They should rott in jail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM
So very sad.
mamaBerg85
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I'm patiently waiting for someone to come defend these parents. I will flip out on that person this happened about 5 miles from my home!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)