Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doing things for Easter in public school

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
Would you have a problem with art class painting eggs this week and next week and making confetti eggs?

The syllabus says they are painting clay Easter eggs and making confetti Easter eggs?

Or is it secular enough you can ignore it says Easter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM
It wouldn't bother me, honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Easter is entirely secular to me and to many. Eggs, bunnies, chocolate, no problem. If they were making crucifixes, or empty tombs, that'd be a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyme63
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I don't even know what the eggs and the bunny have to do with Jesus, so I can't imagine why it would matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Next year is going to be a challenging year for my son.  I hope, in a good way.  He is going to be confronted head on with Christmas an Easter in K.  I can't shield him from "the holidays other children celebrate" as we've explained to him for forever and I certainly can't expect his teachers to change the ciriculum for him.  As long as specifically relgious commentary stays out of the narrative, I can deal with it and give him context from our perspective.  Hopefully, I've been doing my job and he'll be excited about Hanukkah and Passover and it won't matter.

In short, I don't think decorating eggs is going to be much to my son's detrimet.  We make special eggs for our passover celebrations anyway, though not in the same fashion as "easter eggs."

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I don't think it matters.

I do think they wouldn't do it in my child's public school.  They are highly sensitive to anything that might even be the teeniest bit religiously controversial.

KKmommy3
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised Christian, I am Catholic.   I would not mind,  I also do not mind if they were to learn about other religions and holidays, which they occasionally do.  Oh well.  I am not afraid of letting my kids learn that there are many different beliefs in this world, and there are many different traditions.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Easter eggs are more Pagan than anything. The vast majority of kids at my son's public school are Muslim and yet they all showed up to school dressed in green for St. Patrick's day. However, I think that might be more of a Chicago thing. We celebrate that holiday really hard since there's a huge Irish population here. 19% of the voting block is Irish. That's huge. 

I honestly don't care. As long as they aren't teaching my son and his Muslim classmates that Jesus died for their sins and rose again on the third day like a zombie, I'm fine with it. 

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

this...

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Easter is entirely secular to me and to many. Eggs, bunnies, chocolate, no problem. If they were making crucifixes, or empty tombs, that'd be a problem.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM
No it wouldn't bother me.
PamR
by Pam on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I wouldn't mind.  The whole bunny/egg thing isn't religious anyway.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured