Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So the world didn't end after all...

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just looking through some old posts...remember all the outrage about the ICC in New York?  The one in Tennessee?  Temecula, CA?  Sheboygan, WI?

All these were built and opened quietly after all that controversy.  Now that it is over, do the people who were so outraged by it feel as though they were played?  Like they were led to their outrage, and the flames were fanned by people with an agenda, and now that it's over it's like it never happened.

Do you feel like people were played with these fake "controversies?"  Of course it isn't controversial to build a place of worship on land you own, with the proper zoning.  Do those of you who were against it feel differently now?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
Della529
by Matlock on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Yep.

Quoting stacymomof2:

It was a Fox News host?  Figures, lol.

From the link:

The Muslim American Society also questioned Gutfield's intent.  "Any mosque that's built in America is not built with the idea of having contentious or hostile relations with any other community around it," Human and Civil Rights program director Ibrahim Ramey told NBCNewYork. "We have our own faith and our own values but we certainly aren't going to attack other people even though they have values and orientations that are not necessarily of our faith and our religion."

"It's a free country...if [Gutfield] wanted to do that it would suggest that the idea of this location being some kind of quote-unquote sacred space...is obviously not true." Ramey added that "We doubt very seriously that the proposed initiative would have any direct connection with or patronage from people attending the mosque."

OOOOOO they were so fighting against it.

I think it's odd that the thing some people remember is that Muslims fought against it, even though that isn't true, rather than this guy's pointed baiting.  And yes, he was baiting, he SAID it was to bother them.

Quoting Della529:

Lol, Stacy.

Fox News Host Wants to Open Gay Bar Next to Ground Zero Mosque

Fox's Greg Gutfield says the bar will cater to Muslim gay men

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ah.  So you were one of them.

So, now what?  Where is your outrage now?

They "fought against a gay bar"?  Are you sure about that?  Because I don't think they did...I think some yahoo tried to get in their face by opening a gar bar that caters to Muslim homosexuals.  I don't remember them commenting about it.  Got a link?

Yes I am aware that Muslims believe homosexuality is a sin.  But unless the actually protested this guy's bar I'm gonna call bullshit on the comparison.

Quoting soonergirl980:

No I think that building a Islamic center a stones throw from where a radical Islamic sect killed thousands of Americans by a person that said while we didn't "deserve 9/11" "but we were an "accessory" to it, by someone who expects tolerance but refuses to be tolerant  is kind of bad taste but that's just me. Do you support Park51 knowing they fought against a gay bar who welcomed Islamic gays being built next to it? How hypocritical is that. You must tolerate our building to be built in an arguabaly insensitive area, you must not offend our "sensibilities" by building a gar bar next to it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh I remember the argument.  However that only makes sense if the people who committed the murders at the world trade center were the ones who were building the mosque.

I think they were manipulated for the 2010 elections, and I think they fell for it.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think people truely felt the one in New York was being insensitive to the tragedy that happened there by their location. I don't think it was "fake".

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

off topic but DELLA!!!!  *waves*  I miss you!

Quoting Della529:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

It was yahoo it was Greg Gutfeld. He posted it on his blog that he would and got backers and everything. He was ready to open it and when he asked them for their support they said "you can open it where ever you want but if you want true dialog and do not want to offend us then you would not build it". When questioned on twitter about they procceeded to make fun of other people and religions saying to one twitter who has amish in his twitter name "what are you doing on the computer you Amish. shouldn't you be out making butter".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/greg-gutfeld-im-opening-g_n_676699.html

"

The goal, however, is not simply to open a typical gay bar, but one friendly to men of Islamic faith. An entire floor, for example, will feature non-alcoholic drinks, since booze is forbidden by the faith. The bar will be open all day and night, to accommodate men who would rather keep their sexuality under wraps - but still want to dance.

Bottom line: I hope that the mosque owners will be as open to the bar, as I am to the new mosque. After all, the belief driving them to open up their center near Ground Zero, is no different than mine. My place, however, will have better music."

Their response

You're free to open whatever you like. If you won't consider the sensibilities of Muslims, you're not going to build dialog

and when asked on twitter would they support it or not to build dialog with Gay Muslims they replied
We're a community center. @GregGutfeld's baiting isn't really our issue.

Quoting stacymomof2:

They "fought against a gay bar"?  Are you sure about that?  Because I don't think they did...I think some yahoo tried to get in their face by opening a gar bar that caters to Muslim homosexuals.  I don't remember them commenting about it.  Got a link?

Yes I am aware that Muslims believe homosexuality is a sin.  But unless the actually protested this guy's bar I'm gonna call bullshit on the comparison.

Quoting soonergirl980:

No I think that building a Islamic center a stones throw from where a radical Islamic sect killed thousands of Americans by a person that said while we didn't "deserve 9/11" "but we were an "accessory" to it, by someone who expects tolerance but refuses to be tolerant  is kind of bad taste but that's just me. Do you support Park51 knowing they fought against a gay bar who welcomed Islamic gays being built next to it? How hypocritical is that. You must tolerate our building to be built in an arguabaly insensitive area, you must not offend our "sensibilities" by building a gar bar next to it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh I remember the argument.  However that only makes sense if the people who committed the murders at the world trade center were the ones who were building the mosque.

I think they were manipulated for the 2010 elections, and I think they fell for it.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think people truely felt the one in New York was being insensitive to the tragedy that happened there by their location. I don't think it was "fake".

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

It wasn't me but I do remember those posts. Some seemed to think that if a Mosque was built, they'd wake up one morning and find themselves in an Islamic nation. There are those who do like to "fan the flames", sensationalize things and get people riled up.(Limbaugh comes to mind) Of course, though, they wouldn't be able to do that if they didn't have an audience willing to believe and take up for or against whatever they throw out there

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

You tell me where a Christian religious sect has committed an act of atrocity in say the last 50 years and they want to build a church under the guise of "cultural centers" I will tell you if I agree or not.

Quoting krysstizzle:

That argument didn't fly then and it doesn't fly now. 

If, however, folks were equally upset about building a church anywhere near a place where any Christian committed an atrocity, then their personal argument would at least be consistent - even if it doesn't hold up generally.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a link to the wiki page on Christian terrorism, if you insist on referring to the lunatics that were involved in 9/11 as an Islamic sect (they were roundly denounced by Muslims, btw). 

Those terrorists don't represent Islam any more than Westboro Baptist represents Christianity. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

You tell me where a Christian religious sect has committed an act of atrocity in say the last 50 years and they want to build a church under the guise of "cultural centers" I will tell you if I agree or not.

Quoting krysstizzle:

If, however, folks were equally upset about building a church anywhere near a place where any Christian committed an atrocity, then their personal argument would at least be consistent - even if it doesn't hold up generally.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

So that you see as "fighting against it"?  

I don't think that the response was confrontational.  He was baiting them.  Yes, he was a host on Fox News' "Red Eye."  

The conversation he had on Glenn Beck's show shows the level of communication he was trying to open.

A snipped of the Glenn Beck transcript:

BECK: I mean — what I'm saying is — well, give me some of the names of the -

GUTFELD: Well, I like — I like Ji-Hot.

BECK: Ji-Hot?

GITFELD: Or Ji-Hunk. How about Infidelicious? Or Turban Cowboy?

BECK: Yes.

GUTFELD: You like Turban Cowboy?

BECK: My favorite?

GUTFELD: What?

BECK: Suspicious Packages.

GUTFELD: Yes. That's a nice one.

(LAUGHTER)

GUTFELD: Yes. Rama-Dam. Yes. There are other ones that I don't think I should mention.

BECK: You Mecca-Me-Hot?

(LAUGHTER)

GUTFELD: Yes.

BECK: So now, what would the — what would the — the idea again is you go in to "Suspicious Packages" —

GUTFELD: Yes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,599202,00.html#ixzz2O2CgciLm
Quoting soonergirl980:

It was yahoo it was Greg Gutfeld. He posted it on his blog that he would and got backers and everything. He was ready to open it and when he asked them for their support they said "you can open it where ever you want but if you want true dialog and do not want to offend us then you would not build it". When questioned on twitter about they procceeded to make fun of other people and religions saying to one twitter who has amish in his twitter name "what are you doing on the computer you Amish. shouldn't you be out making butter".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/greg-gutfeld-im-opening-g_n_676699.html

"

The goal, however, is not simply to open a typical gay bar, but one friendly to men of Islamic faith. An entire floor, for example, will feature non-alcoholic drinks, since booze is forbidden by the faith. The bar will be open all day and night, to accommodate men who would rather keep their sexuality under wraps - but still want to dance.

Bottom line: I hope that the mosque owners will be as open to the bar, as I am to the new mosque. After all, the belief driving them to open up their center near Ground Zero, is no different than mine. My place, however, will have better music."

Their response

You're free to open whatever you like. If you won't consider the sensibilities of Muslims, you're not going to build dialog

and when asked on twitter would they support it or not to build dialog with Gay Muslims they replied
We're a community center. @GregGutfeld's baiting isn't really our issue.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Yep. Willing and happy to spread the bullshit.
Quoting meriana:

It wasn't me but I do remember those posts. Some seemed to think that if a Mosque was built, they'd wake up one morning and find themselves in an Islamic nation. There are those who do like to "fan the flames", sensationalize things and get people riled up.(Limbaugh comes to mind) Of course, though, they wouldn't be able to do that if they didn't have an audience willing to believe and take up for or against whatever they throw out there

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That only makes sense if Al Qaeda was going to build a mosque there.

Just admit it, you think because they are Muslims they are terrorists.  You believe all Muslims should answer for the atrocity on 9/11.  Right?  Because that is your argument.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I will get back to you because the wiki link says nothing about Christian centers being built near these murders after they happened and I'm at work so I can't really research it.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Here's a link to the wiki page on Christian terrorism, if you insist on referring to the lunatics that were involved in 9/11 as an Islamic sect (they were roundly denounced by Muslims, btw). 

Those terrorists don't represent Islam any more than Westboro Baptist represents Christianity. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN