Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So the world didn't end after all...

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just looking through some old posts...remember all the outrage about the ICC in New York?  The one in Tennessee?  Temecula, CA?  Sheboygan, WI?

All these were built and opened quietly after all that controversy.  Now that it is over, do the people who were so outraged by it feel as though they were played?  Like they were led to their outrage, and the flames were fanned by people with an agenda, and now that it's over it's like it never happened.

Do you feel like people were played with these fake "controversies?"  Of course it isn't controversial to build a place of worship on land you own, with the proper zoning.  Do those of you who were against it feel differently now?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Maybe fighting was a bad choice of words, but they certainly were TOLERENT of the idea. Shutting him down and not even willing go to have open dialogue about it. In fact there own words were the very idea offended their sensibilities therefore they would not entertain dialogue about it. The fact is they wanted tolerance but are in no way open to tolerance themselves.

Quoting stacymomof2:

That only makes sense if Al Qaeda was going to build a mosque there.

Just admit it, you think because they are Muslims they are terrorists.  You believe all Muslims should answer for the atrocity on 9/11.  Right?  Because that is your argument.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You tell me where a Christian religious sect has committed an act of atrocity in say the last 50 years and they want to build a church under the guise of "cultural centers" I will tell you if I agree or not.

Quoting krysstizzle:

That argument didn't fly then and it doesn't fly now. 

If, however, folks were equally upset about building a church anywhere near a place where any Christian committed an atrocity, then their personal argument would at least be consistent - even if it doesn't hold up generally.

Quoting soonergirl980:

No I think that building a Islamic center a stones throw from where a radical Islamic sect killed thousands of Americans by a person that said while we didn't "deserve 9/11" "but we were an "accessory" to it, by someone who expects tolerance but refuses to be tolerant  is kind of bad taste but that's just me. Do you support Park51 knowing they fought against a gay bar who welcomed Islamic gays being built next to it? How hypocritical is that. You must tolerate our building to be built in an arguabaly insensitive area, you must not offend our "sensibilities" by building a gar bar next to it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh I remember the argument.  However that only makes sense if the people who committed the murders at the world trade center were the ones who were building the mosque.

I think they were manipulated for the 2010 elections, and I think they fell for it.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think people truely felt the one in New York was being insensitive to the tragedy that happened there by their location. I don't think it was "fake".

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Do you really think he wanted to engage in a tolerant dialogue?  I don't think you are that dim.  It was a joke meant to annoy.  Did you read the transcript from Beck's show?  

Why should they open a dialogue with him about gay muslims?  Is he a gay Muslim?  Does he want to attend the mosque?  No, he was teaching them a lesson by doing something he figured was offensive.  Just like he was offended by their religion.  That is not a diologue, that is baiting.  Please don't preted you took him at his literal word, he didn't intend to be and didn't make that a secret.  pssshhht.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

Maybe fighting was a bad choice of words, but they certainly were TOLERENT of the idea. Shutting him down and not even willing go to have open dialogue about it. In fact there own words were the very idea offended their sensibilities therefore they would not entertain dialogue about it. The fact is they wanted tolerance but are in no way open to tolerance themselves.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Just admit it, you think because they are Muslims they are terrorists.  You believe all Muslims should answer for the atrocity on 9/11.  Right?  Because that is your argument.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You tell me where a Christian religious sect has committed an act of atrocity in say the last 50 years and they want to build a church under the guise of "cultural centers" I will tell you if I agree or not.

Quoting krysstizzle:

If, however, folks were equally upset about building a church anywhere near a place where any Christian committed an atrocity, then their personal argument would at least be consistent - even if it doesn't hold up generally.

Quoting soonergirl980:

No I think that building a Islamic center a stones throw from where a radical Islamic sect killed thousands of Americans by a person that said while we didn't "deserve 9/11" "but we were an "accessory" to it, by someone who expects tolerance but refuses to be tolerant  is kind of bad taste but that's just me. Do you support Park51 knowing they fought against a gay bar who welcomed Islamic gays being built next to it? How hypocritical is that. You must tolerate our building to be built in an arguabaly insensitive area, you must not offend our "sensibilities" by building a gar bar next to it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh I remember the argument.  However that only makes sense if the people who committed the murders at the world trade center were the ones who were building the mosque.

I think they were manipulated for the 2010 elections, and I think they fell for it.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think people truely felt the one in New York was being insensitive to the tragedy that happened there by their location. I don't think it was "fake".

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You obviously do not read or know anything about Greg Gutfeld. If you don't believe he was absolutely sincere I doubt I can change you mind. I do suggest you read his books the Bible of Unspeakable Truths or The Joy of Hate very thought provoking.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Do you really think he wanted to engage in a tolerant dialogue?  I don't think you are that dim.  It was a joke meant to annoy.  Did you read the transcript from Beck's show?  

Why should they open a dialogue with him about gay muslims?  Is he a gay Muslim?  Does he want to attend the mosque?  No, he was teaching them a lesson by doing something he figured was offensive.  Just like he was offended by their religion.  That is not a diologue, that is baiting.  Please don't preted you took him at his literal word, he didn't intend to be and didn't make that a secret.  pssshhht.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Did people in those posts not want them built or did they not want them built near ground zero?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Uh, isn't his gig that no one should be offended about anything?  To "Triumph over Whiners, Hurt Feelings, and Spineless Liberals in the Age of Phony Outrage"?

Yeah, I don't think you are getting it.  He wasn't opening a dialogue.  He was mocking them, baiting them.  If you honestly can't see that you just don't get it.  This guy isn't about open communication.  He's about that whole "I'm anti-PC, I don't care which whiners I offend."  Oh yeah I get him.  You are the one who doesn't.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You obviously do not read or know anything about Greg Gutfeld. If you don't believe he was absolutely sincere I doubt I can change you mind. I do suggest you read his books the Bible of Unspeakable Truths or The Joy of Hate very thought provoking.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting soonergirl980:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Both.  There were protests about Mosques i California, Wisconsin, and Tenessee, too, all around the same time.

But the whole "near ground zero" doesn't matter, because the people who crashed the planes were not building any mosques.  So what does the location have to do with anything?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Did people in those posts not want them built or did they not want them built near ground zero?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I think some felt it was salt in a wound. So, why were the people protesting in the other areas? Just anti-Muslim?

I wonder how far the America people have come in the tolerance area towards Muslims since 2001? It's been over 12 yrs since the attacks.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Both.  There were protests about Mosques i California, Wisconsin, and Tenessee, too, all around the same time.

But the whole "near ground zero" doesn't matter, because the people who crashed the planes were not building any mosques.  So what does the location have to do with anything?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Well said.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Some people are scared by things they don't understand and would prefer to remain ignorant.

And I highly doubt that type of person would admit that they were wrong...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

There is no difference between the mosque in New York and the mosque in Tenessee.  There can only be "salt in the wound" if you make a connection between the terrorists and some other Muslims who aren't terrorists.  It is not an insult for a group of Muslims to build a place of worship.  The insult is when people pin the actions of terrorists on innocent people because of their own preconieved ideas.

I for one think it's bullshit that people think that Muslims should lose civil rights because AL Qaeda are terrorists.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I think some felt it was salt in a wound. So, why were the people protesting in the other areas? Just anti-Muslim?

I wonder how far the America people have come in the tolerance area towards Muslims since 2001? It's been over 12 yrs since the attacks.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You won't get an argument from me, but it doesn't look like civil rights were lost. It seems the ICC's when up anyway? Is that correct?

Quoting stacymomof2:

There is no difference between the mosque in New York and the mosque in Tenessee.  There can only be "salt in the wound" if you make a connection between the terrorists and some other Muslims who aren't terrorists.  It is not an insult for a group of Muslims to build a place of worship.  The insult is when people pin the actions of terrorists on innocent people because of their own preconieved ideas.

I for one think it's bullshit that people think that Muslims should lose civil rights because AL Qaeda are terrorists.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN