Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So the world didn't end after all...

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just looking through some old posts...remember all the outrage about the ICC in New York?  The one in Tennessee?  Temecula, CA?  Sheboygan, WI?

All these were built and opened quietly after all that controversy.  Now that it is over, do the people who were so outraged by it feel as though they were played?  Like they were led to their outrage, and the flames were fanned by people with an agenda, and now that it's over it's like it never happened.

Do you feel like people were played with these fake "controversies?"  Of course it isn't controversial to build a place of worship on land you own, with the proper zoning.  Do those of you who were against it feel differently now?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Replies (51-55):
Della529
by Matlock on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Love you, Peanut!  BIG {{{HUGS}}} 

Quoting Peanutx3:

off topic but DELLA!!!!  *waves*  I miss you!

Quoting Della529:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You are right, they were not stopped, of course there is no legal reason and their rights were upheld.  I didn't really think they would be able to stop the one in New York, but the one in Tenessee was touch and go for a while, with the local politicians being what they were.  But there were (are?) people who felt that their rights should not have been respected, that they shouldn't have been allowed.  That was who I am talking about.  Not you.  :)

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

You won't get an argument from me, but it doesn't look like civil rights were lost. It seems the ICC's when up anyway? Is that correct?

Quoting stacymomof2:

There is no difference between the mosque in New York and the mosque in Tenessee.  There can only be "salt in the wound" if you make a connection between the terrorists and some other Muslims who aren't terrorists.  It is not an insult for a group of Muslims to build a place of worship.  The insult is when people pin the actions of terrorists on innocent people because of their own preconieved ideas.

I for one think it's bullshit that people think that Muslims should lose civil rights because AL Qaeda are terrorists.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I think some felt it was salt in a wound. So, why were the people protesting in the other areas? Just anti-Muslim?

I wonder how far the America people have come in the tolerance area towards Muslims since 2001? It's been over 12 yrs since the attacks.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Well said.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Some people are scared by things they don't understand and would prefer to remain ignorant.

And I highly doubt that type of person would admit that they were wrong...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tscritch
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Dammit!!! First Y2K, then the Mayans...now this!!!!  

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Your link didn't prove any hostility. The previous link demonstrated just how non-hostile the Muslims were concerning the gay bar.

So, did he build his bar, or was he simply an Islamophobe Islamobaiting like someone else is attempting?

Keep in mind y'all, me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Quoting soonergirl980:

It was yahoo it was Greg Gutfeld. He posted it on his blog that he would and got backers and everything. He was ready to open it and when he asked them for their support they said "you can open it where ever you want but if you want true dialog and do not want to offend us then you would not build it". When questioned on twitter about they procceeded to make fun of other people and religions saying to one twitter who has amish in his twitter name "what are you doing on the computer you Amish. shouldn't you be out making butter".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/greg-gutfeld-im-opening-g_n_676699.html

"

The goal, however, is not simply to open a typical gay
bar, but one friendly to men of Islamic faith. An entire floor, for
example, will feature non-alcoholic drinks, since booze is forbidden by
the faith. The bar will be open all day and night, to accommodate men
who would rather keep their sexuality under wraps - but still want to
dance.

Bottom line: I hope that the mosque owners will be as open to the bar,
as I am to the new mosque. After all, the belief driving them to open up
their center near Ground Zero, is no different than mine.

My place, however, will have better music."

Their response

You're free to open whatever you like. If you won't consider the sensibilities of Muslims, you're not going to build dialog

and when asked on twitter would they support it or not to build dialog with Gay Muslims they replied
We're a community center. @GregGutfeld's baiting isn't really our issue.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ah.  So you were one of them.

So, now what?  Where is your outrage now?

They "fought against a gay bar"?  Are you sure about that?  Because I don't think they did...I think some yahoo tried to get in their face by opening a gar bar that caters to Muslim homosexuals.  I don't remember them commenting about it.  Got a link?

Yes I am aware that Muslims believe homosexuality is a sin.  But unless the actually protested this guy's bar I'm gonna call bullshit on the comparison.

Quoting soonergirl980:

No I think that building a Islamic center a stones throw from where a radical Islamic sect killed thousands of Americans by a person that said while we didn't "deserve 9/11" "but we were an "accessory" to it, by someone who expects tolerance but refuses to be tolerant  is kind of bad taste but that's just me. Do you support Park51 knowing they fought against a gay bar who welcomed Islamic gays being built next to it? How hypocritical is that. You must tolerate our building to be built in an arguabaly insensitive area, you must not offend our "sensibilities" by building a gar bar next to it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh I remember the argument.  However that only makes sense if the people who committed the murders at the world trade center were the ones who were building the mosque.

I think they were manipulated for the 2010 elections, and I think they fell for it.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think people truely felt the one in New York was being insensitive to the tragedy that happened there by their location. I don't think it was "fake".

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured