Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Explain why the Pope is closer to God then you think I can be?

Posted by   + Show Post
Worshiping a man, albeit the pope, seems in conflict with the teachings of Moses. That shall not worship false idols.

In Jesus's own words did he not say. I am the way and the light?

Isn't it contradictory to worship the teachings of Christ while giving a earthy man so much credit?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM
2 moms liked this

She obviously doesn't know much about Catholicism.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yup.  This is why I am not a Catholic.  I have a direct link to God, using the Name of Jesus...I don't need to be absolved of my sins by anyone but Christ. 

What makes you think Catholics don't have a direct link to God?  What makes you think Christ isn't who is absolving their sins?

You are mistaking having a conduit for the conduit being the absolver.

You may "prefer" it your way but that doesn't mean your way is "the" way.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Christ is the one absolving them of sins.  He is doing it through them as he has sent them.

John 20:21-23

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yup.  This is why I am not a Catholic.  I have a direct link to God, using the Name of Jesus...I don't need to be absolved of my sins by anyone but Christ. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I think you're right OP. The Pope is just a man.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Ask him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

What makes you think Catholics don't have a direct link to God?  What makes you think Christ isn't who is absolving their sins?

"A direct link to God".....huh? Sorry...it just seems people assume too much,know what I mean?

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM

In my belief, he isn't.  But that is their faith.  I know Catholics who believe in Jesus the way we do but still love the traditions and what not of their Catholic faith.  I think people can find a balance. I am  not Catholic just for the benefit of knowing my stance.

blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM

then what would a religion be purposelessly doing on a ceremony on television only to get followers or response or just noticed , what is the pomp and circumstance all about?  It seems very wasteful if unnecessary to promote something nobody is really paying attention to anyway.

What is a conduit?

And so far Jesus was the only one to make a statement about ..."if you see someone who likes to be sitting at the head of the table;;''', and .....

-   when  ....'' you they wearing garments that are full of garnishings and excess for showiness, than they are not to be trusted''.  

I would think that they are trying in any attempt to make themselves holier than they are to get respect.  But going for a position as head of anything religious isn't something I'd bank on just because it's on t.v. or has a huge magnanamous building behind it ...    the proper building that will be built will be the one for Jerusalem and it's permanance.  

we all make mistakes, but I think that when we just judge ourselves usually it's for our own growth with God personally.  not that even nobody judges anyone, since we all do at times.   We're judged also.

I hope that everyone somehow will just come to trust Jesus as Gods' son and the future king of the whole earth...  that is so complete. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Christ made Peter the foundation of the Church. The Pope is in the line of Peter. Catholics do not worship the Pope and that's where they get it from. Now, bowing and kissing his ring and such ........ wellllllllllllllllllllll.............. your point is duly noted :)

blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Yes Jesus said he was AND IS the way the truth and the life,.... it's all there, he is the light and the life.  The way to follow, the true guide,  truthful...  never lying or misleading with hype, or standards of mankind,  but a promise that is forever. 

He is the one and only potentate,... or the strength that will never be brought down.  He is for ever king over us as his believers.   If we will even only believe on his name, Jesus, he said he will save us. 

With that being known true, than, other things are mere mortals, like us, they don't have power above all else.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

The sacrement of reconcilliation aka Confession is based upon James 5:16

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)