Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Explain why the Pope is closer to God then you think I can be?

Posted by   + Show Post
Worshiping a man, albeit the pope, seems in conflict with the teachings of Moses. That shall not worship false idols.

In Jesus's own words did he not say. I am the way and the light?

Isn't it contradictory to worship the teachings of Christ while giving a earthy man so much credit?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I did not say catholics.   It's a reference to those garments worn, whomever wears , them....  for showiness, like in the way garments are worn at funerals, or processions fringed or embellished for show only...  like the garment is more of an item then the persons' preaching of faith...

I am referring to the ones who preach catholic religion in the church ,   not to judge them in any way but judging the garments..  we aren't here to downplay anyones' beliefs, what I am doing is having a conversation with you ( since you're the only one responding)   In this way I am still learning but not bashing to learn against the differences or profit somehow myself, I am forgiving, but it's not a sin....

it's just that the bible was saying this ... to beware of people that have long flowing robes with embellishings and tassles, and flowy garments with too much fancy attire just to gain some type of attention as though they are getting some undeserved persuasion from the ones who are listening to their preaching.   It's not about what we wear, in other words,

'................listen to what God does, and Jesus ''more'', than what we see in people, their attire, excess, etc.  IT's just all showy.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

then what would a religion be purposelessly doing on a ceremony on television only to get followers or response or just noticed , what is the pomp and circumstance all about?  It seems very wasteful if unnecessary to promote something nobody is really paying attention to anyway.

What is a conduit?

And so far Jesus was the only one to make a statement about ..."if you see someone who likes to be sitting at the head of the table;;''', and .....

-   when  ....'' you they wearing garments that are full of garnishings and excess for showiness, than they are not to be trusted''.  

I would think that they are trying in any attempt to make themselves holier than they are to get respect.  But going for a position as head of anything religious isn't something I'd bank on just because it's on t.v. or has a huge magnanamous building behind it ...    the proper building that will be built will be the one for Jerusalem and it's permanance.  

we all make mistakes, but I think that when we just judge ourselves usually it's for our own growth with God personally.  not that even nobody judges anyone, since we all do at times.   We're judged also.

I hope that everyone somehow will just come to trust Jesus as Gods' son and the future king of the whole earth...  that is so complete. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yup.  This is why I am not a Catholic.  I have a direct link to God, using the Name of Jesus...I don't need to be absolved of my sins by anyone but Christ. 

What makes you think Catholics don't have a direct link to God?  What makes you think Christ isn't who is absolving their sins?

You are mistaking having a conduit for the conduit being the absolver.

You may "prefer" it your way but that doesn't mean your way is "the" way.

Um what?

Catholics have it as "right" as anyone.

Don't believe me?

Prove it.

Oh right, you can't....

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Actually it is not the same as they were not given the power to forgive sins as the apostles were.  Reconciliation is based on John 21-23.  Talking to someone about your sins and being forgiven are two different things.

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting candlegal:

Christ is the one absolving them of sins.  He is doing it through them as he has sent them.

John 20:21-23

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yup.  This is why I am not a Catholic.  I have a direct link to God, using the Name of Jesus...I don't need to be absolved of my sins by anyone but Christ. 

I gave Poodles the Scripture behind Reconcilliation above. It's the same way as going to your Pastor to talk to him about what you've done. The pastor doesn't absolve you, the pastor can confirm to you that in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit that you are absolved of sin. That is consistent in the Catholic faith as well. They do not say, in the name of the Pope or the name of the Catholic Church. 

It is different in ritual but the theology is very similar to protestants in terms of who grants forgivness of sin, that's a huge part of mass. Christ died for our sins. 

There is a reverence for the Pope ... humans have a way of creating hierarchy. 

Who is they?

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Quoting blurp:

I did not say catholics.   It's a reference to those garments worn, whomever wears , them....  for showiness, like in the way garments are worn at funerals, or processions fringed or embellished for show only...  like the garment is more of an item then the persons' preaching of faith...

I am referring to the ones who preach catholic religion in the church ,   not to judge them in any way but judging the garments..  we aren't here to downplay anyones' beliefs, what I am doing is having a conversation with you ( since you're the only one responding)   In this way I am still learning but not bashing to learn against the differences or profit somehow myself, I am forgiving, but it's not a sin....

it's just that the bible was saying this ... to beware of people that have long flowing robes with embellishings and tassles, and flowy garments with too much fancy attire just to gain some type of attention as though they are getting some undeserved persuasion from the ones who are listening to their preaching.   It's not about what we wear, in other words,

'................listen to what God does, and Jesus ''more'', than what we see in people, their attire, excess, etc.  IT's just all showy.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

then what would a religion be purposelessly doing on a ceremony on television only to get followers or response or just noticed , what is the pomp and circumstance all about?  It seems very wasteful if unnecessary to promote something nobody is really paying attention to anyway.

What is a conduit?

And so far Jesus was the only one to make a statement about ..."if you see someone who likes to be sitting at the head of the table;;''', and .....

-   when  ....'' you they wearing garments that are full of garnishings and excess for showiness, than they are not to be trusted''.  

I would think that they are trying in any attempt to make themselves holier than they are to get respect.  But going for a position as head of anything religious isn't something I'd bank on just because it's on t.v. or has a huge magnanamous building behind it ...    the proper building that will be built will be the one for Jerusalem and it's permanance.  

we all make mistakes, but I think that when we just judge ourselves usually it's for our own growth with God personally.  not that even nobody judges anyone, since we all do at times.   We're judged also.

I hope that everyone somehow will just come to trust Jesus as Gods' son and the future king of the whole earth...  that is so complete. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

What makes you think Catholics don't have a direct link to God?  What makes you think Christ isn't who is absolving their sins?

Um what?

Don't believe me?

Prove it.

Oh right, you can't....

So what are you saying?  That because the Pope wears "showy garments" that's against the Bible?

You should know in having this discussion with me I am not a Catholic.

blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

so we are to forgive them .   this way we are enduring to the end, within the contexts of scripture.    Forgiveness isn't a pathway though.   IT's to me like this. . .  when someone deliberately sins to get forgiven, just to score points, as though it's a way to manipulate another person,.... is still forgiven... absolutely,..... since it's 70 X7 we are to go on forgiving. 

It's exhausting if we THINK about it.

It's exhausting when we try to take it as our own strength. 

It's not exhausting though when we know that forgivenss originates with God, and not us.

Although we say .." I FORGIVE YOU"..   it's still GOD HIMSELF who sticks the forgivenss onto that person directing his love to them... but we are in it as part of WITNESSING GOD'S POWER>

Quoting candlegal:

We have to forgive the trespasses of others against us if we expect to  be forgiven by God.

Quoting blurp:

I get thrown so much from (in red) ...  because it also says in the same bible scriptures within and around different books (for what it's worth)   that as God forgave us we are to forgive others as well,  in comparing the ''our father''.. prayer.    FORGIVE our TRESSPASSES as we forgive those who've trespasses against us.

So didn't or doesn't this measure out to be, .... if nobody forgives anyone, than those who are not doing the forgivenesses to others, will indeed NOT GET forgiven for their trespasses..... as well.  ((again, forgive as I have forgiven you. ))

So the **pun** cardinal law or creed should be in all faiths and in ALL.... L I F E......

to forgive as we are forgiven..  

and I don't mean paying it forward like in the cashier line.. totally diff. situation. !! lol.

Quoting candlegal:

Actually it is based on the followiing.

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

The sacrement of reconcilliation aka Confession is based upon James 5:16

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

they is whoever you are talking to about your transgressions if they are not a Priest.   Only a Priest can forgive sins in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting candlegal:

Actually it is not the same as they were not given the power to forgive sins as the apostles were.  Reconciliation is based on John 21-23.  Talking to someone about your sins and being forgiven are two different things.

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting candlegal:

Christ is the one absolving them of sins.  He is doing it through them as he has sent them.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I gave Poodles the Scripture behind Reconcilliation above. It's the same way as going to your Pastor to talk to him about what you've done. The pastor doesn't absolve you, the pastor can confirm to you that in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit that you are absolved of sin. That is consistent in the Catholic faith as well. They do not say, in the name of the Pope or the name of the Catholic Church. 

It is different in ritual but the theology is very similar to protestants in terms of who grants forgivness of sin, that's a huge part of mass. Christ died for our sins. 

There is a reverence for the Pope ... humans have a way of creating hierarchy. 

Who is they?

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Quoting loverbug75:

Worshiping a man, albeit the pope, seems in conflict with the teachings of Moses.

Not sure who worships the pope, but are you suggesting people worship Moses? 

blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

unless I am interpreting it the entire wrong way,  the bible says not to give credence to those who sit at the head of tables and wearing showy attire as though it has merit in God's kingdom.  They are just looking to see others' have more attention to them,

in other words, we are all just like they are sometimes, and we aren't getting any more credit or merit for our looks or way out dressing as though it's a pathway to righteousness or something like that.

Our hearts are the thing that matter.   Our behavior and attitude toward others,  even if we cannot heal them, or cast out a devil.  God sees our intentions, and how sincere our intentions are.   

Since the world tries its; hardest to cast aside those things that are really for benefit.   IT's hard to undo it's effects.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

What is a conduit?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Um what?

Don't believe me?

Prove it.

Oh right, you can't....

So what are you saying?  That because the Pope wears "showy garments" that's against the Bible?

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Quoting blurp:

unless I am interpreting it the entire wrong way,  the bible says not to give credence to those who sit at the head of tables and wearing showy attire as though it has merit in God's kingdom.  They are just looking to see others' have more attention to them,

in other words, we are all just like they are sometimes, and we aren't getting any more credit or merit for our looks or way out dressing as though it's a pathway to righteousness or something like that.

Our hearts are the thing that matter.   Our behavior and attitude toward others,  even if we cannot heal them, or cast out a devil.  God sees our intentions, and how sincere our intentions are.   

Since the world tries its; hardest to cast aside those things that are really for benefit.   IT's hard to undo it's effects.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting blurp:

What is a conduit?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Um what?

Don't believe me?

Prove it.

Oh right, you can't....

I can see why you don't want to be interpreted as Catholic bashing.  LOL

blurp
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

It seems all in all we have to need a personal relationship with God through JEsus Christ, and trust the whole idea .

on cafemom it's not about being right or getting points, I am only seeing this as a comparison from other religions as the world gets trapped daily in or about them. 

Sometimes knowing the truth is not as simple as the world ensnarls it.    The truth is there no matter what. It's never changed.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting candlegal:

they is whoever you are talking to about your transgressions if they are not a Priest.   Only a Priest can forgive sins in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

My Uncle is a Chaplain's assistant in the Army, he goes on the battlefield with the Eucharist, etc...  I will ask him what authority he has (which would include desperate situations). Interesting question for him. 

I do agree that the power of the priest is different than the "power" seen in the Protestant churches. Surely they reply with: 

1 Timothy 2:5

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN