Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Steubenville Rapist Is Appealing & He Could Get Off! Do you think this appeal could be successful?

Posted by   + Show Post

Steubenville Rapist Is Appealing & He Could Get Off!

by Jeanne Sager

arrestedThe ink is still drying on the sentence for the Steubenville rapists, and already one of them is appealing. Ma'lik Richmond, the younger of the two football players convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl, has mounted an appeal of the guilty verdict on a claim that his "brain isn't fully developed." Somehow we're supposed to believe that a 16-year-old boy's brain couldn't handle the fact that rape is wrong.

And now for the scary part: as backward and ridiculous as the claim sounds, what's more ridiculous is that people might believe it. The appeal could work.

How do I know? The same way that Richmond's lawyers do. I took a test reading of the temperature in America right now, and it left me cold.

This week we have had reporters and hosts on major American television networks sympathetically discussing the fates of Richmond and his fellow rapist, Trent Mays, 17. This week we have had the name of a child rape victim reported by careless journalists.

This week average Americans have said the following about a child who was raped:

It wasnt a brutal rape and although these young men took advantage of her and fingered her she put herself in that position especially drinking to the point of no memory. When it comes down to it , it's on you.

Brutally raped? Hardly. She was finger banged.

seriously the girl shoulnt be out drinking at 15-16 and she should know.if shes drinking to stay with friends i feel bad for her but in a way i dont... Whoooo reallly knows thats she was raped girls consent to sexxx everyyyydayyyyyy and thennn alll of a sudden there raped when daddy or mommy finds out and who knows ive heard of parenta paying there kids bribeing there kids to claimmmm rape

Those were all comments posted yesterday, right here on The Stir. They all blame a young victim of sexual assault for the atrocities that happened to her.

They all make excuses for the boys who raped her.

So what's another excuse?

According to Richmond's attorney, Walter Madison, he's mounting an appeal for his client because:

I don't believe that a person at 75 years old should have to explain for something they did at 16 when scientific evidence would support your brain isn't fully developed ... when evidence in the case would suggest that you were under the influence.

Ridiculous?

Of course. If a 16-year-old's brain isn't yet developed enough to know that rape is wrong, why do we allow 16-year-olds to drive cars, get jobs ... 

But when the whole world is telling this kid he deserves sympathy, it's no wonder he believes it.

Do you think this appeal could be successful? What do you think of his reasons?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
parentalrights1
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Oh please. If it were that hard to understand that rape is wrong as 16 then we'd have way more rapists (although there are likely more than we know of)

Even if this were some alternate universe where that was a legitimate excuse, he obviously knew he was doing SOMETHING wrong when he was trying to be sneaky and not get caught. They didnt think "oh it's totally cool to drug someone and drag them from party to party"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM

that's why he was tried as a juvenile, unfortunately. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

No, I do not believe that this will be a successful appeal challenge.  If he violated the statutory elements for rape in Ohio, he will remain convicted. 

I know that 16 year old's brains are not fully developed.  But you should know right and wrong far before then.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Exactly right.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Oh please. If it were that hard to understand that rape is wrong as 16 then we'd have way more rapists (although there are likely more than we know of)

Even if this were some alternate universe where that was a legitimate excuse, he obviously knew he was doing SOMETHING wrong when he was trying to be sneaky and not get caught. They didnt think "oh it's totally cool to drug someone and drag them from party to party"

wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I think it will fail, it's a bunch of crap. The third commenter should learn to speak proper English before acting like they know everything. 

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Really? No punishment? Just oh well they didn't know better... they're just teens.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Perhaps.

Quoting macbudsmom:

Kids younger than him have been tried and convicted as adults.  Should they all be released due to their undeveloped brains?

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM
They shouldn't have been tried as adults in the first place. I'd be inclined to say , but it's obviously dependent

Quoting macbudsmom:

Kids younger than him have been tried and convicted as adults.  Should they all be released due to their undeveloped brains?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope.  Not a chance.  He is trying to claim that he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong and is incapable of controlling his actions.  Unless he's so developmentally delayed that he's behind my 6 year old, he's a complete moron if he thinks this will hold any kind of water.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This is disturbing. Whether your brain is fully developed or not, if you don't have any mental disabilities you should know at 16 that it is NOT ok to rape someone.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM
It could work, after all that was the excuse given by many here for the teen that strangled her newborn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)