Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Steubenville Rapist Is Appealing & He Could Get Off! Do you think this appeal could be successful?

Posted by   + Show Post

Steubenville Rapist Is Appealing & He Could Get Off!

by Jeanne Sager

arrestedThe ink is still drying on the sentence for the Steubenville rapists, and already one of them is appealing. Ma'lik Richmond, the younger of the two football players convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl, has mounted an appeal of the guilty verdict on a claim that his "brain isn't fully developed." Somehow we're supposed to believe that a 16-year-old boy's brain couldn't handle the fact that rape is wrong.

And now for the scary part: as backward and ridiculous as the claim sounds, what's more ridiculous is that people might believe it. The appeal could work.

How do I know? The same way that Richmond's lawyers do. I took a test reading of the temperature in America right now, and it left me cold.

This week we have had reporters and hosts on major American television networks sympathetically discussing the fates of Richmond and his fellow rapist, Trent Mays, 17. This week we have had the name of a child rape victim reported by careless journalists.

This week average Americans have said the following about a child who was raped:

It wasnt a brutal rape and although these young men took advantage of her and fingered her she put herself in that position especially drinking to the point of no memory. When it comes down to it , it's on you.

Brutally raped? Hardly. She was finger banged.

seriously the girl shoulnt be out drinking at 15-16 and she should know.if shes drinking to stay with friends i feel bad for her but in a way i dont... Whoooo reallly knows thats she was raped girls consent to sexxx everyyyydayyyyyy and thennn alll of a sudden there raped when daddy or mommy finds out and who knows ive heard of parenta paying there kids bribeing there kids to claimmmm rape

Those were all comments posted yesterday, right here on The Stir. They all blame a young victim of sexual assault for the atrocities that happened to her.

They all make excuses for the boys who raped her.

So what's another excuse?

According to Richmond's attorney, Walter Madison, he's mounting an appeal for his client because:

I don't believe that a person at 75 years old should have to explain for something they did at 16 when scientific evidence would support your brain isn't fully developed ... when evidence in the case would suggest that you were under the influence.

Ridiculous?

Of course. If a 16-year-old's brain isn't yet developed enough to know that rape is wrong, why do we allow 16-year-olds to drive cars, get jobs ... 

But when the whole world is telling this kid he deserves sympathy, it's no wonder he believes it.

Do you think this appeal could be successful? What do you think of his reasons?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
PestPatti
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM

BULLSHIT...  I am so tired of the "under 25" brain excuse.  

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Oh good fucking grief I knew what I was doing at 16 and I will be damned if he didn't!

neveensaffron
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
My sons father raped a 16 year old girl when he was 21 because "I made him."

We broke up 3 hours before because he was abusing me and I finally told my family who got me out.

If my son EVER rapes anyone, he better hope the cops get him before I do.
I mean this from my soul, I'll be the main person demanding his prosecution.

These guys obviously know it's okay to drug and rape a girl because they know their parents will take their side.

Quoting Momniscient:

This is just fucking horrifying.

No wonder Americans have such a problem with rape and violence. We silently condone it...

Look at ALL the people who claimed that girl somehow deserved being raped and defended these boys.

If it were my boy I wouldn't pay for his appeal.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
neveensaffron
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM
They might rape their babysitter.

Quoting meriana:

I would hope it would fail big time. If one doesn't know right from wrong by age 16, they shouldn't be allowed in public without a babysitter.  Unfortunatly, this kid is also considered something of a "star" of his football team, had such a bright future, etc. and a lot of people are all too willing to excuse, over-look and make excuses for the bad and horrible behavior of those they see as "stars"

AnastasiaKorsh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I hope not.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
It is 100% true that all teens have less impulse control than adults. Some have neurobehavioral issues which cause even worse impulse control & rages than the typical teen. I work with these exact kind of teens. However, the rapists' behaviors sound like conduct disorder with emerging antisocial features. I see no proof of poor impulse control or rage. They were tried as juveniles. If he wins this appeal, that's a sham.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I agree

Quoting SuperChicken:

They were tried in juvenile court instead of as adults, that already takes into account that they are teens.   I think this appeal will fail.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:10 AM

OH MY! That "16 year old argument blows my mind. It's not the first time I've heard that. I've even heard it from friends... it shows thier lack of parenting ability and morality to me.

Like I said before as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets off. This town is steeped with problems. Maybe they are trying to rectify it now... long term bootleggers, not enforcing curfews, apparently coaches involved... not sure how much worse. They will certainly support him. I guess I'd be surprised if he doesn't get off.

MsMcWithey
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Well then, how can they blame the girl for "putting herself in that situation," her brain isn't fully developed either....

Just sayin'....

Btw, I think those boys deserve to go to jail. They probably used a finger because they thought they could get away with it. For some reason, people think "fingers" and "oral" aren't really sex....
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:46 AM
Putting herself in that position" means the boys didn't really rape her?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)