Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People who smoke weed are lazy and stay in their parents basement. Or become Presidents, Billionaires, Mayors, Athlete, movie stars, etc.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 38 Replies
5 moms liked this

I seen that assertion made a few times. However, I don't believe that is the case. Lets look at people in our world today.

President Barack Obama
: "When I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point."

President George W. Bush: "I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried.".

President Bill Clinton: "I experimented with marijuana a time or two.".

Newt Gingrich: "That was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era.". (New York Magazine, May 1995 p.42)

Jon Stewart: "Do you know how many movies I wrote when I was high?"

Bill Gates: "As for drugs-well, Gates was certainly not unusual there. Marijuana was the pharmaceutical of choice...". (Gates: how Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry and made himself the Richest Man in America).

Stephen King: "I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine".

Michael Bloomberg: When asked about marijuana use he said, "You bet I did. And I enjoyed it".

President Candidate Gargy Johnson: "In that state somebody came by and said, 'Gary? Would marijuana help do you think?' And my response was immediately, 'Yes, I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I think that would help immensely.' And it did."

Sarah Palin: "I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled.".

Al Gore: "Mr. Gore had said his cannabis consumption was 'infrequent and rare.'".

Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger: "I did smoke a joint and I did inhale."

David Letterman: "I went through one period when I smoked a surprising, a really breath-taking, amount of grass almost every night"

Conan O'Brien "I've tried pot, but it doesn't do much for me."

Morgan Freeman: "Never give up the ganja.".

Jennifer Aniston:
"I enjoy it once in a while. There is nothing wrong with that. Everything in moderation."

Former Gov. Jesse Ventura: "I grew up in the 60's. If you grew up in the 60s and say you didn't smoke pot, you are either a liar or you really didn't grow up in the 60s".

John F. Kennedy: Close acquaintances say Kennedy used cannabis regularly to control his back pain.

This is barely scratching the surface. There are many many many more people. And I am not saying smoking weed will make you become the next President, athlete, or movie star, or a billionaire.

I am just pointing out that not everyone that smokes weed stays home and never does anything.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Thank you for this post.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

My sister sat next to the pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals in high school and I remember how she would talk about what a loser pothead he was and that he would always be a loser. Lol. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

As a parent, I never condemned MJ to the kids because that would have made me a hypocrite in doing so.  I smoked it, enjoyed it and think nothing of others smoking it. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Bill Clinton promised us that he didn't inhale!  We all laughed our butts off at the time.  I guess he's come clean.

The difference is that lots of people try it, and then they grow up and move on.  If you make a lifestyle choice to get high regularly, especially if you are genetically sensitive and likely to become a habitual user, you are more likely to end up in your parent's basement. 

Pain is another matter.  It does relieve terrible pain, statistics show. 

delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You'd never know my 31 year old cousin was a huge pothead. He is an IT at a tec company for the past 10 years..Right out of college, He just bought a house with his wife and wonderful 2 year old little girl. He works hard makes great money and is an all around awesome person.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I know many very successful individuals who use marijuana every now and again.  Yes, loser potheads exist, but the majority of users are still self sufficient members of society. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Interesting

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Anything taken to an extreme can be a problem.

Alcohol for example. You could drink once a day and no one would really say anything about it. But you drink to the point of drunk every day and you are going to have a problem.

The same is true for even 'harmless' things like food. Eat three times a day and you are healthy. Eat all day excessively and you will have a problem.

But lots of time people assert that if you smoke pot (Not excessively but in general) that you will end up lazy, and living in a basement with mom and dad. Or they will assume if you are pro-legalization that you are lazy and live with your parents.

My point is that is not the case.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Bill Clinton promised us that he didn't inhale!  We all laughed our butts off at the time.  I guess he's come clean.

The difference is that lots of people try it, and then they grow up and move on.  If you make a lifestyle choice to get high regularly, especially if you are genetically sensitive and likely to become a habitual user, you are more likely to end up in your parent's basement. 

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that it is the same as alcohol and should be treated similarly.  It's illogical and hypocritical that one is legal and the other is not (though I don't want any smoking around me of any kind because it makes breathing more difficult). 

The only reason it is still illegal is that the feds are still working out how to make more money from it. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Anything taken to an extreme can be a problem.

Alcohol for example. You could drink once a day and no one would really say anything about it. But you drink to the point of drunk every day and you are going to have a problem.

The same is true for even 'harmless' things like food. Eat three times a day and you are healthy. Eat all day excessively and you will have a problem.

But lots of time people assert that if you smoke pot (Not excessively but in general) that you will end up lazy, and living in a basement with mom and dad. Or they will assume if you are pro-legalization that you are lazy and live with your parents.

My point is that is not the case.

Quoting TranquilMind:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If you get high constantly, there is something psychologically wrong with you. Just because someone becomes famous doesn't mean they're mentally sound.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)