Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I read a story earlier about Obama's limo breaking down in Israel due to the wrong fuel. The Article said the limo was brought From Washington?? WTH??? Whether or not this is long standing practice, I do not know. But it is ridiculous!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Then we simply disagree. I have no problem ensuring the safety of our leader to the nth, regardless of who it may be at the time. Hauling a limo around in a plane that massive likely would add only minimal costs.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I see no reason he heeds anything but armored/bulletproof metal and glass for a drive. We waste way too much money one having a Pres constantly in a mobile office. I do not think it is necessary. The article said another limo was brought in from Jordan to replace "The Beast" and my guess is it worked just fine to get him from point A to point B.

Quoting LauraKW:

As the Secret Service does not list specifications for any vehicles that transport the President, any comparisons will be at best guesstimations. I think it is safe to say the security modifications will be massive, highly technical, and extremely extensive. Temporarily modifying a borrowed vehicle is sure to be very time and labor intensive, if the appropriate parts and technology were even available. Then tthere is always the possibility that the Secret Service could run into potential security breaches from any non-American assisting with those vehicle modifications. Faster / cheaper / easier to take the secure transportation with them Han try to modify different cars at each stop.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I highly doubt it but if you can find a source that shows checking out an existing armored limo is cheaper than flying a limo across the ocean, I am open to considering it.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

It should not be standard practice, it is a waste of money. You can not tell me Israel does not have armored limos that meet with SS approval. Just more unnecessary government waste.

It would cost extra to have those limos checked out and outfitted to SS approval and then remove all of the crap the SS put in. 

Cheaper to bring the cars.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

It should not be standard practice, it is a waste of money. You can not tell me Israel does not have armored limos that meet with SS approval. Just more unnecessary government waste.

And of course with your background and education in politics and vast experience with traveling dignitaries, we shoould listen and heed your advice,right?

eye rollingyeah,right.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  Not just President Obama, but any president.  They really need a special car everywhere they go?  The SS can't go before him and make sure the rental is  OK?  I think some of the presidential needs are just extreme. 

They are a President, not a King.  They are a public servant. No wonder every president in modern history has been so out of touch with the American public once they get elected.  They deserve protection, no doubt about it,but some things are just overboard.

Quoting LoveMyBoys

I see no reason he heeds anything but armored/bulletproof metal and glass for a drive. We waste way too much money one having a Pres constantly in a mobile office. I do not think it is necessary. The article said another limo was brought in from Jordan to replace "The Beast" and my guess is it worked just fine to get him from point A to point B.

Quoting LauraKW:

As the Secret Service does not list specifications for any vehicles that transport the President, any comparisons will be at best guesstimations. I think it is safe to say the security modifications will be massive, highly technical, and extremely extensive. Temporarily modifying a borrowed vehicle is sure to be very time and labor intensive, if the appropriate parts and technology were even available. Then tthere is always the possibility that the Secret Service could run into potential security breaches from any non-American assisting with those vehicle modifications. Faster / cheaper / easier to take the secure transportation with them Han try to modify different cars at each stop.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I highly doubt it but if you can find a source that shows checking out an existing armored limo is cheaper than flying a limo across the ocean, I am open to considering it.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

It would cost extra to have those limos checked out and outfitted to SS approval and then remove all of the crap the SS put in. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM
You know nothing about my background. In any case, I am every bit as entitled to share my opinions as anyone else and do not need your stamp of approval to do so, despite what your ego tells you.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

And of course with your background and education in politics and vast experience with traveling dignitaries, we shoould listen and heed your advice,right?

eye rollingyeah,right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

the Presidential limos travel with them, that's not unusual.  The cars are fortified for additional protection.   Doesn't sound ridiculous to me.  

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Precisely, and not just the Pres office, either, but many in Congress and numerous high level officials are treated like royalty on our dime. It is unnecessarily wasteful.

Quoting tooptimistic:

I agree with you.  Not just President Obama, but any president.  They really need a special car everywhere they go?  The SS can't go before him and make sure the rental is  OK?  I think some of the presidential needs are just extreme. 

They are a President, not a King.  They are a public servant. No wonder every president in modern history has been so out of touch with the American public once they get elected.  They deserve protection, no doubt about it,but some things are just overboard.

Quoting LoveMyBoys

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Did someone say limo trip? Let's go!!

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Totally agree with you!!  It used to not be that way. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Precisely, and not just the Pres office, either, but many in Congress and numerous high level officials are treated like royalty on our dime. It is unnecessarily wasteful.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting LoveMyBoys

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

katy_kay08
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't help laughing at people suggesting they just rent a limo there like there is a vast line up of heavily armoured limos waiting at the airport.  

Just one more thing no one bitched about before Obama.  

katy_kay08
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/The-Presidential-Motorcade-Explained-115569854.html

If you've lived in the D.C. area for any length of time, you've probably been caught up in traffic associated with a presidential motorcade.

The flashing lights. The all-black convoy. The emergency vehicles.

They're quite exciting the first time you spot them, but once that initial thrill is gone, well, you find yourself cursing the motorcade's existence as you wait for the long flow of vehicles to pass by.

So why are all those vehicles necessary? And what the heck do all of them do?

These are questions now answered by a cool infographic put together by The Atlantic. Check it out by clicking here.

And if you're as curious as we are, The Atlantic says it isn't giving away any secrets by publishing this information. It says it was "gleaned from open sources and years of watching motorcades."

We'll take them at their word on that one.

The graphic is part of a much larger story The Atlantic published on the Secret Service. It's a great look into what the agency does -- and how world leaders view it. It also includes some little-known information about assassination attempts on both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

For example, The Atlantic said the Secret Service saved President Clinton's life in 1996 while he was attending a summit in Manila:

According to (historian Ken) Gormley, just moments before the motorcade was about to move, agents using a special intelligence-gathering capacity -- one that remains classified -- picked up radio chatter mentioning the words wedding and bridge. Knowing well that weddingwas often a code word for a terrorist hit, Merletti changed the route, which happened to include a bridge. Clinton was angry at the decision, which would cause further delay, but he did not override it. When agents arrived at the bridge, they indeed found explosives: had Clinton taken the prescribed route, he very likely would have been killed.

Intriguing stuff, and definitely worth the read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured