Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Not a hot topic but didn't want to derail the other post:

I broke out in a rash after taking Penicillin as an infant and have always been told I'm allergic. How allergic, I have no idea. I may not really even be.

Anyway....

Today I saw some brie that was infused with mushrooms and since I have Celiac I'm always scanning labels.

On it was listed penicillin. I'm sure its a bacteria in the cheese. Never seen this before...

Should I avoid it or go get some? It sure looks good! Would this set off a penicillin allergy?

 Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!
  

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Yes, but you could have a lot of fun with an unassuming nurse sitting in a cubicle somewhere on a Wednesday night. Tell her you're trying a piece and you want her on the line so she can call 911 when you start gasping. Do it!!!

Quoting Woodbabe:

Who needs expert, licensed, professional medical advice when I have CM? I'll be told I'm pregnant by the 50th response!

Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Use the ask a nurse hotline.



Quoting Woodbabe:


Quoting TruthSeeker.:

 



Quoting Bieg9093:



 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 



   This. LOL.



 No, really try a small amount and see how you do. Allergies can go away.

You guys are cracking me up...do I call Tricare first or afterwards if I get admitted?


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

 As much as I love this answer, not all EMTs have epis on their rigs.  If you must go this route, take along a mom whose kid has food allergies.  She'll have an epipen in her purse.

Quoting tscritch:

 Or to make it a little more fun...go sit at a fire station with really hot fire fighters and try it...they are first responders..a little mouth to mouth never hurt anyone wink

Quoting Bieg9093:

 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 

 

 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM

 I found this at europarchive.org.....eatwell.gov/uk.:


 

I'm allergic to penicillin and read about a person with a penicillin allergy who went into anaphylactic shock after eating blue cheese. Is it true there is penicillin in blue cheese? And if so, why isn't it labelled?

It should be safe for people with an allergy to penicillin to eat blue cheese. This is because the type of mould used to make blue cheese, although it is part of the Penicillium family, isn't able to produce penicillin. There are some types of mould in the Penicillium family that can produce the antibiotic penicillin, but these aren't used to produce food.

There have been rare reports of people who are sensitive to penicillin having an allergic reaction after drinking milk that contained very small amounts of penicillin. In these rare cases, the penicillin had passed into the milk through animals that had been treated with antibiotics.

However, to stop veterinary medicines, such as antibiotics, getting into foods there are rules which mean that after treating animals with antibiotics, a certain amount of time must pass before either the milk or meat from the animals is allowed into the food chain. These rules mean these products should be safe for people with an allergy to penicillin.
 
I like the suggestion of trying it at a fire house.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Make sure you aren't alone if you're going to try it, take some Benadryl first, and make sure the person with you is aware of the potential for anaphylaxis. Then enjoy! I love brie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tscritch
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

 Yay!!!!   If you are feeling REALLY frisky...you can have them check out that prostate while they are at it!! fingers crossed

Quoting Woodbabe:


Quoting tscritch:

 Or to make it a little more fun...go sit at a fire station with really hot fire fighters and try it...they are first responders..a little mouth to mouth never hurt anyone wink

Quoting Bieg9093:

 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 

 

Ooh you and I are going to be great friends! :) Best answer yet!

 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

And THIS folks...is why I've been addicted to CM all these years! You guys are the best!

Quoting tscritch:

 Yay!!!!   If you are feeling REALLY frisky...you can have them check out that prostate while they are at it!! fingers crossed

Quoting Woodbabe:


Quoting tscritch:

 Or to make it a little more fun...go sit at a fire station with really hot fire fighters and try it...they are first responders..a little mouth to mouth never hurt anyone wink

Quoting Bieg9093:

 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 

 

Ooh you and I are going to be great friends! :) Best answer yet!

 


 Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!
  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe I'll tell her I'm wanting to put it in my vag....would it cure what ails me?

Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Yes, but you could have a lot of fun with an unassuming nurse sitting in a cubicle somewhere on a Wednesday night. Tell her you're trying a piece and you want her on the line so she can call 911 when you start gasping. Do it!!!

Quoting Woodbabe:

Who needs expert, licensed, professional medical advice when I have CM? I'll be told I'm pregnant by the 50th response!

Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Use the ask a nurse hotline.



Quoting Woodbabe:


Quoting TruthSeeker.:

 



Quoting Bieg9093:



 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 



   This. LOL.



 No, really try a small amount and see how you do. Allergies can go away.

You guys are cracking me up...do I call Tricare first or afterwards if I get admitted?



 Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!
  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Or....I could get extended mouth to mouth by the firemen under the sparking emergency lights of the ambulance? *googles how to fake it*

Quoting Bieg9093:

 As much as I love this answer, not all EMTs have epis on their rigs.  If you must go this route, take along a mom whose kid has food allergies.  She'll have an epipen in her purse.

Quoting tscritch:

 Or to make it a little more fun...go sit at a fire station with really hot fire fighters and try it...they are first responders..a little mouth to mouth never hurt anyone wink

Quoting Bieg9093:

 Go sit in your loal emergency room on a slow night and give it a tiny taste.  Then if you're still alive 20 minutes later, try a slightly bigger taste. 

 

 


 Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!
  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This actually makes sense...otherwise wouldn't brie and blue cheese be used by natural doctors as a natural antibiotic?

Quoting grandmab125:

 I found this at europarchive.org.....eatwell.gov/uk.:


 

I'm allergic to penicillin and read about a person with a penicillin allergy who went into anaphylactic shock after eating blue cheese. Is it true there is penicillin in blue cheese? And if so, why isn't it labelled?

It should be safe for people with an allergy to penicillin to eat blue cheese. This is because the type of mould used to make blue cheese, although it is part of the Penicillium family, isn't able to produce penicillin. There are some types of mould in the Penicillium family that can produce the antibiotic penicillin, but these aren't used to produce food.

There have been rare reports of people who are sensitive to penicillin having an allergic reaction after drinking milk that contained very small amounts of penicillin. In these rare cases, the penicillin had passed into the milk through animals that had been treated with antibiotics.

However, to stop veterinary medicines, such as antibiotics, getting into foods there are rules which mean that after treating animals with antibiotics, a certain amount of time must pass before either the milk or meat from the animals is allowed into the food chain. These rules mean these products should be safe for people with an allergy to penicillin.
 
I like the suggestion of trying it at a fire house.


 Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!
  

AMBG825
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

 I have a severe allergy to penicillin and have eaten brie with no issues. I didn't even know it had penicillin in it to be honest.

 

And the best way to serve brie is to cover it with vanilla caramels then wrap it all in phyllo dough and bake it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)