Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why even atheists love Pope Francis

Even now, he prefers the bus

Never mind all the guff: it is a rare thing indeed for atheists and agnostics to be genuinely impressed and inspired by religious leaders. Speaking personally – as a man who is but two drinks short of atheism – although I try to view such leaders with respect, the reasons informing my lack of faith temper the depth of my admiration.

Traditionally, only the Dalai Lama, with his peculiar brand of cuddles, giggles and Gucci, has attracted such widespread acclaim. However, in the brief time since his selection, Pope Francis has attracted a remarkable level of affection from both the faithful and the faithless. Attacks from the Guardian and others have largely failed to stick; instead, the Pope has received a remarkable amount of accolades from a wide variety of sources.

It is all relative, of course. Francis's position on the Falklands has seriously irritated Britons – as the possible inauguration snub by our Royals and officials indicated – and campaigners for gay rights remain sceptical. But on the whole, in a short period of time he has become unusually well regarded, especially given the general unpopularity of the Catholic Church.

The reason is simple. This is a man who pays his own hotel bills, travels by bus and jeep, wades out into the crowds unguarded, and makes his own telephone calls. (Yesterday, he telephoned the main number of a Jesuit residence in Rome. The receptionist, upon hearing the identity of the caller, responded "yeah, and I'm Napoleon".) This might seem like no great shakes, but given the luxury normally showered upon his office, it takes guts.

In other words, whatever one may think of his views, the Pope has genuine humility. This is such an unusual quality these days that it is like a beacon, outshining our reservations about him. Indeed, the term "Jesuit", formerly associated with tyrannical school regimes and sadism in the public imagination, has started to be rehabilitated.

False humility can be spotted a mile off, of course, and we are all used to doing that. But Pope Francis has proved that authentic humility can be just as immediately visible. This most straightforward of qualities has been absent from public life for so long that we have almost forgotten it were possible. If our politicians had a bit of this to offer, the world would be a very different place.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100207974/why-even-atheists-love-pope-francis/

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
6 moms liked this

Blech.

I'll be impressed when a pope comes along, liquidates all of the church's assets, gives away all the gold and wealth to the poor, and tells people they can talk to god on their own if they'd like.

Until then, I don't give a rat's patootie.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

according to what religious website?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Sekirei:

Sorry, same ratzinger views... just in a shiney new package. (well, newer) I would be surprised if atheists actually gave a Hel about the pope anyway

Actually Benedict's vast knowledge and understanding of science converted many Atheists.  

blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Quoting -Celestial-:

Eh. The Pope is useless.

Maybe for you but NOT for millions of Catholics thru out the world. The Pope is a beloved figure who guides the Church with prayer & humility~+

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting -Celestial-:

Eh. The Pope is useless.

Maybe for you but NOT for millions of Catholics thru out the world. The Pope is a beloved figure who guides the Church with prayer & humility~+

On the flip side, he's largely irrelevant to non-Catholics, i.e. everyone else.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/03/pope-francis-the-real-deal-has-audience-with-cardinals/

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I doubt atheists are impressed bc Pope Francis is already quoted saying if you don't have a good prayer life, you worship the Devil. Don't know any praying atheists.

I have never read this about Pope Francis. Pls provide a link to confirm this. Thank you. You can admire a leader even if you don't agree with his personal views. His profound humility & love for the poor are deeply admired by many~

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
"Yesterday, he telephoned the main number of a Jesuit residence in Rome. The receptionist, upon hearing the identity of the caller, responded "yeah, and I'm Napoleon"

This made me giggle...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I can't imagine anyone who isn't Catholic caring one way or another about who's Pope.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
When was this supposedly said?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I doubt atheists are impressed bc Pope Francis is already quoted saying if you don't have a good prayer life, you worship the Devil. Don't know any praying atheists.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/03/pope-francis-the-real-deal-has-audience-with-cardinals/

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

When was this supposedly said?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My MIL is an Athiest and she loved Pope John Paul II but that's because she's Polish :-)

Quoting romalove:

I can't imagine anyone who isn't Catholic caring one way or another about who's Pope.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN