Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why even atheists love Pope Francis

Even now, he prefers the bus

Never mind all the guff: it is a rare thing indeed for atheists and agnostics to be genuinely impressed and inspired by religious leaders. Speaking personally – as a man who is but two drinks short of atheism – although I try to view such leaders with respect, the reasons informing my lack of faith temper the depth of my admiration.

Traditionally, only the Dalai Lama, with his peculiar brand of cuddles, giggles and Gucci, has attracted such widespread acclaim. However, in the brief time since his selection, Pope Francis has attracted a remarkable level of affection from both the faithful and the faithless. Attacks from the Guardian and others have largely failed to stick; instead, the Pope has received a remarkable amount of accolades from a wide variety of sources.

It is all relative, of course. Francis's position on the Falklands has seriously irritated Britons – as the possible inauguration snub by our Royals and officials indicated – and campaigners for gay rights remain sceptical. But on the whole, in a short period of time he has become unusually well regarded, especially given the general unpopularity of the Catholic Church.

The reason is simple. This is a man who pays his own hotel bills, travels by bus and jeep, wades out into the crowds unguarded, and makes his own telephone calls. (Yesterday, he telephoned the main number of a Jesuit residence in Rome. The receptionist, upon hearing the identity of the caller, responded "yeah, and I'm Napoleon".) This might seem like no great shakes, but given the luxury normally showered upon his office, it takes guts.

In other words, whatever one may think of his views, the Pope has genuine humility. This is such an unusual quality these days that it is like a beacon, outshining our reservations about him. Indeed, the term "Jesuit", formerly associated with tyrannical school regimes and sadism in the public imagination, has started to be rehabilitated.

False humility can be spotted a mile off, of course, and we are all used to doing that. But Pope Francis has proved that authentic humility can be just as immediately visible. This most straightforward of qualities has been absent from public life for so long that we have almost forgotten it were possible. If our politicians had a bit of this to offer, the world would be a very different place.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100207974/why-even-atheists-love-pope-francis/

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (391-400):
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quoting KamWorthy:

Incorrect. Jew is also a ethnicity. If your mother is ethnically a Jew then so are you. It does not matter what your father is. If you only claim the traditions of the Jewish faith, then you are only Jewish by being graphed into the faith, not by blood.
Quoting romalove:

Jewish is not an ethnicity. It us a religion and a culture. I am born if Jewish parents. I will always be a Jew.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?

Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Pardon me if I don't consider the rants of an atheist on spiritual matters. Lol! I'm of Jewish ethnicity, therefore I am a Jew whatever I choose to practice, adorn my body with, eat, speak etc...everything else is semantics, thank you.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Wow...REALLY? Actually.....Messianic Jew is the name of the religion, Christianity is the name of the faith. I guess I should have specified.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Thanks! Im not nearly as dedicated as some others are to a religion, I'm of the Messianic Jewish faith, but I do appreciate individuals who conduct themselves in a civil manner. CM should make you a moderator, and add some class to the joint lol!!

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you.  I like your input also!!!!

Veronica

Quoting KamWorthy:

Bravo! Both you and BK are class acts!

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Here's how it looks to me, a person who replies, a Roman Catholic.

Put yourselves in my shoes and imagine what is going on here: 

I make a reply that is straight to begin with. 

In this case I admire the Pope and see that what blondkosmic has posted and intelligently agree with her.  That is a given.

I almost always quote blondekosmic or someone else, in a positive sort of way.

One of you women come in, calling what you do debating (???).  

I counter, and then I see on "my activity" that four or five of you have quoted me.  To me, knowing all of you well, you look like a PACK OF BUZZARDS.

Would you rather I describe you as a group of sharks at a feeding fest?

No matter what I say you are BULLIES!!!!

I know all of you and most of the time don't bother to read what you have to say anymore, because I know what to expect.

You use foul language, devalue what I have to say (even to blondekosmic), call me in so many words "stupid" , once again calling what you do debate??????...  

What else would you call women who do that? 

I call you buzzards.  

I see you are a moderator.

Isn't it your responsibility to keep all people in some sort of order so that debate is fair, and no one is being gone after?

You, Sekerei are very biased.  You give preference to your "friends" instead of being fair.

Prudence and good judgment...Please consider it, carefully.

I will finish by enlarging what blondekosmic has stated so eleoquently: 

Quoting Sekerei 

and I am a mod. I make posts to a maintain my count and while I don't care who is pope, his policies (sadly enough) affect me. So even if I go into a post I have no interest in, I will make at least one post in it, to bump it or some such :3

Quoting blondekosmic15:
. I question your sincerity because you are fine when some of your friends resort to filthy names, personal insults directed @ those whom they differ with politically or religiously. Interesting how some of you claim you don't care but make a point to address this issue. 

Do you know what a Messianic Jew is?

A Christian.

Jews are waiting for the Messiah.

Christians believe Jesus is the Messiah.

If you believe Christ is son of God and the Messiah, if you follow the teachings of Christ, you're a Christian.  

Everything else is semantics.

Since you think you're a Jew and follow Christ, I'm not really gonna pay much attention to the rest of the nonsense you spew.

You don't even admit who you really are, despite that it's common knowledge.

Wanna know one thing no one ever says to me?  That I say I am someone I am not.

Like me or don't, I yam who I yam.  Like Popeye.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Isn't ethnicity basically the same as culture?  

Quoting romalove:

Jewish is not an ethnicity. It us a religion and a culture. I am born if Jewish parents. I will always be a Jew.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?

Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I am KamWorthy, never been anyone else. I am Jewish in both ethnicity and Messianic Jew in faith. If you want to be like Popeye, well, ok. Consider yourself schooled!
Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Incorrect. Jew is also a ethnicity. If your mother is ethnically a Jew then so are you. It does not matter what your father is. If you only claim the traditions of the Jewish faith, then you are only Jewish by being graphed into the faith, not by blood.
Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?

Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Pardon me if I don't consider the rants of an atheist on spiritual matters. Lol! I'm of Jewish ethnicity, therefore I am a Jew whatever I choose to practice, adorn my body with, eat, speak etc...everything else is semantics, thank you.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Wow...REALLY? Actually.....Messianic Jew is the name of the religion, Christianity is the name of the faith. I guess I should have specified.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Thanks! Im not nearly as dedicated as some others are to a religion, I'm of the Messianic Jewish faith, but I do appreciate individuals who conduct themselves in a civil manner. CM should make you a moderator, and add some class to the joint lol!!

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you.  I like your input also!!!!

Veronica

Quoting KamWorthy:

Bravo! Both you and BK are class acts!

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Here's how it looks to me, a person who replies, a Roman Catholic.

Put yourselves in my shoes and imagine what is going on here: 

I make a reply that is straight to begin with. 

In this case I admire the Pope and see that what blondkosmic has posted and intelligently agree with her.  That is a given.

I almost always quote blondekosmic or someone else, in a positive sort of way.

One of you women come in, calling what you do debating (???).  

I counter, and then I see on "my activity" that four or five of you have quoted me.  To me, knowing all of you well, you look like a PACK OF BUZZARDS.

Would you rather I describe you as a group of sharks at a feeding fest?

No matter what I say you are BULLIES!!!!

I know all of you and most of the time don't bother to read what you have to say anymore, because I know what to expect.

You use foul language, devalue what I have to say (even to blondekosmic), call me in so many words "stupid" , once again calling what you do debate??????...  

What else would you call women who do that? 

I call you buzzards.  

I see you are a moderator.

Isn't it your responsibility to keep all people in some sort of order so that debate is fair, and no one is being gone after?

You, Sekerei are very biased.  You give preference to your "friends" instead of being fair.

Prudence and good judgment...Please consider it, carefully.

I will finish by enlarging what blondekosmic has stated so eleoquently: 

Quoting Sekerei 

and I am a mod. I make posts to a maintain my count and while I don't care who is pope, his policies (sadly enough) affect me. So even if I go into a post I have no interest in, I will make at least one post in it, to bump it or some such :3

Quoting blondekosmic15:
. I question your sincerity because you are fine when some of your friends resort to filthy names, personal insults directed @ those whom they differ with politically or religiously. Interesting how some of you claim you don't care but make a point to address this issue. 

Do you know what a Messianic Jew is?

A Christian.

Jews are waiting for the Messiah.

Christians believe Jesus is the Messiah.

If you believe Christ is son of God and the Messiah, if you follow the teachings of Christ, you're a Christian.  

Everything else is semantics.

Since you think you're a Jew and follow Christ, I'm not really gonna pay much attention to the rest of the nonsense you spew.

You don't even admit who you really are, despite that it's common knowledge.

Wanna know one thing no one ever says to me?  That I say I am someone I am not.

Like me or don't, I yam who I yam.  Like Popeye.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
No...culture is a part of ethnicity, but so is nationality, race. Many are misinformed about what ethnicity really is.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?

Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don't think myself as an atheist or agnostic or any of that, I don't know if there is a God and that's where I leave it.  I don't find myself too interested in the new pope but it would be nice if he could give the church a moral cleansing.  I actually think people are going to be turning back to religion, we are having this wave of people who joined the I'm not religious club but I don't think they can make it without their beliefs. 

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?

Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.

No

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not Catholic. Never have been, never will be. I like this POPE, why? Because when I think about the Cathloic church and what it needs right now for its billions of faithful, I appreciate what this new pope might be able to offer to them. How does this affect me you say? It affects me because I'm a human being, I care about wrongs being righted, I care about the billions who follow this POPE, that's why. Now, I'm not comparing the two, but if the Mormon church were to appoint a leader who was the opposite of Warren Jeffs, I'd like that guy too. Do you now see how it doesn't make you a Catholic nor even an instant believer to say you like this Pope, or even someone who is religious?
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I thought the ethnicity was termed "Semitic" ?

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Religeon or ethnicity?
Quoting romalove:

I am a Jew.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting KamWorthy:

No...but you'll continue to support a country that kills innocent children and calls it legal mercy killing....guess there are just dirty little secrets everywhere huh? Ad hominem, via red herring. But that's to be expected. The whole existence of people like this is based on living and breathing logical fallacies.
Quoting Goodwoman614:
Quoting KamWorthy:
Dicernment is not the same as possessing a crystal ball.
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting VeronicaTex:
Quoting Clairwil:
Discernment is indistinguishable from people interpreting the Bible so that it agrees with the prejudices they have internalised as their 'conscience'.

Discernment and interpreting the Bible are two very distinct things.

Discernment is a gift of the Holy Spirit, given as a special grace from God, for His purpose.

So what good is discernment, if it didn't tell all those American preachers that slavery was wrong, and if it didn't tell all those Catholic bishops that covering up after pedophile priests was wrong?

Discernment, dishmernment...

more prevaricating, equivocating, hair splitting, obfuscating.

It really is pretty simple: thou shalt not abuse one's power/position/access to anally rape little boys.

Thou shalt not then aid, abett, cover up, lie about, and ensure child raping pedophile priests continue to perpetrate the raping of little boys.

Which is what the CC has done, and continues to do. 

I could google on this, but then the issue for me would become which ones in a f*cking Mount Everest of incidents I bring back to this post. 

And that is just one way the CC is corrupt to the core, and why I WILL NEVER, EVER support such an institution.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Quoting 12hellokitty:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting VeronicaTex:

Shaking the dust from my feet, searching for uplifting souls with whom to communicate.

If you want uplifting, try Shane Claiborne

Why do you find him uplifting?

Sincere, genuine, practices what he preaches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)