Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why even atheists love Pope Francis

Even now, he prefers the bus

Never mind all the guff: it is a rare thing indeed for atheists and agnostics to be genuinely impressed and inspired by religious leaders. Speaking personally – as a man who is but two drinks short of atheism – although I try to view such leaders with respect, the reasons informing my lack of faith temper the depth of my admiration.

Traditionally, only the Dalai Lama, with his peculiar brand of cuddles, giggles and Gucci, has attracted such widespread acclaim. However, in the brief time since his selection, Pope Francis has attracted a remarkable level of affection from both the faithful and the faithless. Attacks from the Guardian and others have largely failed to stick; instead, the Pope has received a remarkable amount of accolades from a wide variety of sources.

It is all relative, of course. Francis's position on the Falklands has seriously irritated Britons – as the possible inauguration snub by our Royals and officials indicated – and campaigners for gay rights remain sceptical. But on the whole, in a short period of time he has become unusually well regarded, especially given the general unpopularity of the Catholic Church.

The reason is simple. This is a man who pays his own hotel bills, travels by bus and jeep, wades out into the crowds unguarded, and makes his own telephone calls. (Yesterday, he telephoned the main number of a Jesuit residence in Rome. The receptionist, upon hearing the identity of the caller, responded "yeah, and I'm Napoleon".) This might seem like no great shakes, but given the luxury normally showered upon his office, it takes guts.

In other words, whatever one may think of his views, the Pope has genuine humility. This is such an unusual quality these days that it is like a beacon, outshining our reservations about him. Indeed, the term "Jesuit", formerly associated with tyrannical school regimes and sadism in the public imagination, has started to be rehabilitated.

False humility can be spotted a mile off, of course, and we are all used to doing that. But Pope Francis has proved that authentic humility can be just as immediately visible. This most straightforward of qualities has been absent from public life for so long that we have almost forgotten it were possible. If our politicians had a bit of this to offer, the world would be a very different place.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100207974/why-even-atheists-love-pope-francis/

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting -Celestial-:

Eh. The Pope is useless.

Maybe for you but NOT for millions of Catholics thru out the world. The Pope is a beloved figure who guides the Church with prayer & humility~+

On the flip side, he's largely irrelevant to non-Catholics, i.e. everyone else.

You do not speak for all non-Catholics. I have many friends who are not Christian or they are of various denominations. Several have expressed their respect for the Pope. They share similar moral beliefs and admire his perseverance in the midst of the challenges the Church faces. You don't have to believe in God nor practice daily prayer to acknowledge compassion & wisdom. Humility, a virtue rarely witnessed today~

Well, since we're speaking anecdotally, most (if not all) of non-catholics that responded to this post so far just don't care. 

I never said I spoke for all non-catholics. Do you speak for all catholics? I assumed no, as that's the most logical assumption. 

Great for your friends. But the OP is silly, imo, and...wait for it...irrelevant. 

A few comments on an all women forum hardly represents the majority~

Your 'friends' are hardly the majority, either...

but.. but,.. they are friends with her!!! which makes their opinion mean more

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM

no prob 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Thank You! I tried googling and it wouldn't pull up anything :-)

Quoting glitterteaz:

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/03/pope-francis-the-real-deal-has-audience-with-cardinals/

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

When was this supposedly said?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I doubt atheists are impressed bc Pope Francis is already quoted saying if you don't have a good prayer life, you worship the Devil. Don't know any praying atheists.

blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Quoting krysstizzle:

I don't expect the catholic church to ever do that. It would just be a nice thing to do. 

Is the smithsonian in the business of souls while at the same time accumulating vast amounts of wealth, aka worldly goods and all that? 

But. It's not my church, so I don't have much to say beyond what I have. If catholics are fine with it, that's their business.

You forgot to mention 1000's of Priests who live in poverty willingly to share the Gospel in dangerous regions of the world. They risk their lives daily for the salvation of souls. Many are tortured, even martyred for their love of God and the Church. Of course the secular media will never reveal this~

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

None of that will ever be liquidated or given away because it is historically archived. The Vatican Musesums are just like the Smithsonian... Full of amazing art, history, & culture open to the public.

Do you expect the Smithsonian to liquidate their assets as well?

Quoting krysstizzle:

Blech.

I'll be impressed when a pope comes along, liquidates all of the church's assets, gives away all the gold and wealth to the poor, and tells people they can talk to god on their own if they'd like.

Until then, I don't give a rat's patootie.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget the ability to hide pedophile priest that is a must in the job description!

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting -Celestial-:

Eh. The Pope is useless.

Maybe for you but NOT for millions of Catholics thru out the world. The Pope is a beloved figure who guides the Church with prayer & humility~+

On the flip side, he's largely irrelevant to non-Catholics, i.e. everyone else.

You do not speak for all non-Catholics. I have many friends who are not Christian or they are of various denominations. Several have expressed their respect for the Pope. They share similar moral beliefs and admire his perseverance in the midst of the challenges the Church faces. You don't have to believe in God nor practice daily prayer to acknowledge compassion & wisdom. Humility, a virtue rarely witnessed today~

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I didn't forget to mention anything. 

I simply had one point and I made it. I wasn't trying to give an overview of the entrirety of the catholic church and its various components. 

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting krysstizzle:

I don't expect the catholic church to ever do that. It would just be a nice thing to do. 

Is the smithsonian in the business of souls while at the same time accumulating vast amounts of wealth, aka worldly goods and all that? 

But. It's not my church, so I don't have much to say beyond what I have. If catholics are fine with it, that's their business.

You forgot to mention 1000's of Priests who live in poverty willingly to share the Gospel in dangerous regions of the world. They risk their lives daily for the salvation of souls. Many are tortured, even martyred for their love of God and the Church. Of course the secular media will never reveal this~

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

None of that will ever be liquidated or given away because it is historically archived. The Vatican Musesums are just like the Smithsonian... Full of amazing art, history, & culture open to the public.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Blech.

I'll be impressed when a pope comes along, liquidates all of the church's assets, gives away all the gold and wealth to the poor, and tells people they can talk to god on their own if they'd like.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If you had you would have had to add the liquidation should begin by paying restitution to the victims of the pedophile priest!

Quoting krysstizzle:

I didn't forget to mention anything. 

I simply had one point and I made it. I wasn't trying to give an overview of the entrirety of the catholic church and its various components. 

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Blech.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting blondekosmic15:

Why even atheists love Pope Francis

I have no objections to him as a private individual.  No doubt he's a nice bloke, if a bit fixated.  :-)

I can admire the courage it takes for him to walk in crowds, given the number of previous popes who have been shot at.

But love?  The good and evil that he influences the Catholic church to do, via his role of pope, will vastly outweigh any of his acts as a private individual, in magnitude.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I am not an Atheist nor am I an Agnostic.

My verdict is still out on the Pope.  I am, however, pleased that Benedict is gone. 

Benedict XVI 
“Agnostics, who are constantly exercised by the question of God, those who long for a pure heart but suffer on account of our sin, are closer to the Kingdom of God than believers whose life of faith is 'routine' and who regard the Church merely as an institution, without letting their hearts be touched by faith.”

Okay............and??

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I think outside of the Catholic faith, he isn't really relevant to most people.  I don't know too many people who aren't Catholic who have an opinion of him either way yet.  I think there needs to be a little time to see how he handles the issues in that church before anyone can judge him.

Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM

SO far I am with you on that... I tohught the other pope gave m the creps hugely!  I am so not  Chrisitian  but  I tihnk they picked him for a reason.... They knew whatthey was , doing long beofre the other pope resigned!  They our trying to clean up the  bad bafd bad bad bad  imagine and bring back followers ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)