Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why even atheists love Pope Francis

Even now, he prefers the bus

Never mind all the guff: it is a rare thing indeed for atheists and agnostics to be genuinely impressed and inspired by religious leaders. Speaking personally – as a man who is but two drinks short of atheism – although I try to view such leaders with respect, the reasons informing my lack of faith temper the depth of my admiration.

Traditionally, only the Dalai Lama, with his peculiar brand of cuddles, giggles and Gucci, has attracted such widespread acclaim. However, in the brief time since his selection, Pope Francis has attracted a remarkable level of affection from both the faithful and the faithless. Attacks from the Guardian and others have largely failed to stick; instead, the Pope has received a remarkable amount of accolades from a wide variety of sources.

It is all relative, of course. Francis's position on the Falklands has seriously irritated Britons – as the possible inauguration snub by our Royals and officials indicated – and campaigners for gay rights remain sceptical. But on the whole, in a short period of time he has become unusually well regarded, especially given the general unpopularity of the Catholic Church.

The reason is simple. This is a man who pays his own hotel bills, travels by bus and jeep, wades out into the crowds unguarded, and makes his own telephone calls. (Yesterday, he telephoned the main number of a Jesuit residence in Rome. The receptionist, upon hearing the identity of the caller, responded "yeah, and I'm Napoleon".) This might seem like no great shakes, but given the luxury normally showered upon his office, it takes guts.

In other words, whatever one may think of his views, the Pope has genuine humility. This is such an unusual quality these days that it is like a beacon, outshining our reservations about him. Indeed, the term "Jesuit", formerly associated with tyrannical school regimes and sadism in the public imagination, has started to be rehabilitated.

False humility can be spotted a mile off, of course, and we are all used to doing that. But Pope Francis has proved that authentic humility can be just as immediately visible. This most straightforward of qualities has been absent from public life for so long that we have almost forgotten it were possible. If our politicians had a bit of this to offer, the world would be a very different place.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100207974/why-even-atheists-love-pope-francis/

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (651-655):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It's by Howard Goodall who composes a lot of music for various BBC programmes. I had heard it at the beginning of the Vicar of Dibley and thought it was really pretty and shared it with my friend who is going to use it for her choir next school year.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Did you like it?

Never heard of it til now. It's origin, Rain?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Hey blonde-totally off topic, but, I found this today- well, not today, but I found the full piece today, which I'd been meaning to do for a choir director friend of mine- I thought you might enjoy it- wink mini

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

By my understanding he is not yet the Pope seeing as Benedict hasn't died yet. You know, the whole spirit of Peter thing.

Can the Pope Retire?

The Holy Father may retire if he chooses. The Code of Canon Law states, "If it should happen that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that he makes the resignation freely and that it be duly manifested, but not that it be accepted by anyone" (Canon 332, No. 2). Nevertheless, when a pope is elected as the Successor of St. Peter, the Church expects that he will remain in office until his death.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0786.html

blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quoting Raintree:

It's by Howard Goodall who composes a lot of music for various BBC programmes. I had heard it at the beginning of the Vicar of Dibley and thought it was really pretty and shared it with my friend who is going to use it for her choir next school year.

Thank you for sharing. I certainly do not mind off topic comments esp when they are positive and worthy of discussion.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Did you like it?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Hey blonde-totally off topic, but, I found this today- well, not today, but I found the full piece today, which I'd been meaning to do for a choir director friend of mine- I thought you might enjoy it- wink mini

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

By my understanding he is not yet the Pope seeing as Benedict hasn't died yet. You know, the whole spirit of Peter thing.

Can the Pope Retire?

The Holy Father may retire if he chooses. The Code of Canon Law states, "If it should happen that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that he makes the resignation freely and that it be duly manifested, but not that it be accepted by anyone" (Canon 332, No. 2). Nevertheless, when a pope is elected as the Successor of St. Peter, the Church expects that he will remain in office until his death.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I just figured you'd enjoy it:)

He has a Christmas choral album that's quite nice - and a seasons thing that's nice, too. It isn't all just for television. 

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Thank you for sharing. I certainly do not mind off topic comments esp when they are positive and worthy of discussion.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Did you like it?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Can the Pope Retire?

blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Raintree:

I just figured you'd enjoy it:)

He has a Christmas choral album that's quite nice - and a seasons thing that's nice, too. It isn't all just for television. 

simple smilethank you.  singing

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Did you like it?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Can the Pope Retire?

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Yes you have the right to think what you want and so do I.  And I stand by the same thing I said, whenever everybody else does the same then the catholic church can also do it.  And I don't fucking care if you are catholic or not, I am saying let everybody do it.  Lots of churches, temples are rich.  Let them all share the wealth. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Actually, I have every right to think whatever I want. If I think that the pope should walk around in a loincloth while every other preacher on earth seats gold embellished robes, I have every right to think that.

However, your ridiculous assumptions aside, I don't think that.

And truthfully, as I'm not catholic or christian, I dint give a flying fuck. *shrug*

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Well I would be impressed if all ministers, imans, etc. do the same.  If you are waiting for the catholic church to do this, you better expect everyone to do it, but guess what it won't happen.  This is someone who is trying at least.  He is making an effort. When is Pat Robertson going to do this?  Uh, never. 

I am impressed that the guy isn't into all the rich stuff, the red shoes, pope mobile, etc.  So until all religious leaders do this, you have no right to demand only the pope does it. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Blech.

I'll be impressed when a pope comes along, liquidates all of the church's assets, gives away all the gold and wealth to the poor, and tells people they can talk to god on their own if they'd like.

Until then, I don't give a rat's patootie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)