Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

MA High School Principle decides to punish the top achievers, because it wouldn't be fair.....

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 86 Replies

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school's Honors Night, saying it could be 'devastating' to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Some parents disagree with his philosophy.

"It's been a tradition in Ipswich, and you're very proud as a parent to see your child, as well as some of the other children who made, really, some great efforts," Dave Morin, a parent, told the station.

Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

Click for more from MyFoxBoston.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20/massachusetts-principal-calls-off-honor-night-because-it-could-be-devastating/?test=latestnews#ixzz2O8D4FY9J

grandma B

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

What a bunch of Bologna!! What about those kids that worked hard and DID achieve good grades. They deserve recognition. 

So they are still honoring them in front of the school at the end of the year? This makes no sense at all. 

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh please!

banging head into wall

Mama2Spencerninja

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Bunch of bullshit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this

This is a disgrace.  Recognition for a job well done is a powerful testament to build on those achievements.  I feel bad for these students, and hope  their parents stand up to the principal on behalf of their children. 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I guess it's like little league baseball....everyone gets a trophy, or no one does.  And they wonder why kids don't want to achieve.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with him.

Those who have achieved such honors should indeed be rewarded for their accomplishments.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting grandmab125:

I guess it's like little league baseball....everyone gets a trophy, or no one does.  And they wonder why kids don't want to achieve.

My first thought went to little league.....then on to soccer.  When my daughter played, she was between the ages of 5-8......every child had to have the same trophy, no matter what.  I was team mom for two years.  It was ridiculous. 

The children seldom learn all they can when they are praised for nothing more than showing up.

But let me tell you, some parents want that damn trophy for their kid for doing just that.......merely showing up. *sigh*

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Yuck! Life isn't always easy, perfect, fair, or easy to attain. Kids need to learn how to deal with it.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
5 moms liked this

So not having good enough grades to attend Honors Night will make others feel badly but honoring those students at the year end assembly in front of the entire school won't make those who didn't quite make the grades feel badly.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Stupid. Just plain stupid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)