Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

MA High School Principle decides to punish the top achievers, because it wouldn't be fair.....

Posted by   + Show Post

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school's Honors Night, saying it could be 'devastating' to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Some parents disagree with his philosophy.

"It's been a tradition in Ipswich, and you're very proud as a parent to see your child, as well as some of the other children who made, really, some great efforts," Dave Morin, a parent, told the station.

Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

Click for more from MyFoxBoston.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20/massachusetts-principal-calls-off-honor-night-because-it-could-be-devastating/?test=latestnews#ixzz2O8D4FY9J

grandma B

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
AlliviasMommy
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the whiney parents whose kids didn't make the honor roll can use the ceremony as motivation for their kids instead of ruining it for those who worked hard. This just like yesterdays post of children not allowed to have friends and banning EVERYTHING where an unfortunate child would feel left out.A progressives utopian philosophy: No one ever loses, everyone wins something, we're all equal, feel GUILTY for being successful and having things the other kids don't.

bless4more
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I are both teachers and you would not believe some of the outrageous things that parents want us to do.  We should not use red pen because that looks too disturbing to the child who is receiving that mark, we should not count undone work as late or incomplete because it could hurt the self esteem of the children.  So we should use purple markers and let the kids hand in their work only if they feel like it.  We tell the kids that you need to complete your work, for instance, if I was a waitress and was great at all aspects of it except I never cleaned the tables how long do you think you would have that job.  We need to push these children to achieve to the best they can and if they get an award for it that is great, as long as they are doing the best to their ability.  To take away from those who strive for excellence is a slap in their face and also shows those who do not try that mediocre is fine.  Sorry to go off but I just got done with a child who is only in school because she is forced to, another one just like her mom that my tax money will take care of someday.  

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

What will they do away with next,Valedictorian/Salutatorian, national honor society!This is stupid my DD works hard for her grades and should be recognized

Mystres
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry, but I think that kids need to learn that Not everyone is a winner. 
That you will loose and not be the best all the time. 
So he did a dis-service to the kids by not letting them learn this life lesson.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't they just add awards for kids who busted thier asses?

I remember getting an invitation to honors night...i was so surprised and excited. I'm smart but i have ADD so i don't get very good grades (well...as good as they should be). I got an award for writing and for this my senior project that only 2 other kids got. Honestly, it was the first time I understood that despite my grades, i wasn't mediocre...i actually was talented, school work just didn't suit me.

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting meriana:

Quoting btamilee:

I wonder if the are cancelling the sports awards night, and pep rallies or any other sports oriented school functions?  After all....we wouldn't want those who don't excel in sports to get hurt feelings...

I wouldn't look for any award nights, etc. involving sports to be cancelled. Sports, after all, are pretty much a "sacred cow", especially football. Athletes are to be looked up to, admired and honored...a top notch student with high grades...not so much.

A look at any public school shows that sports are far more important than actually learning anything.  Just think how much money could be saved if sports were taken out and students actually concentrated on learning like many other countries who now run circles around the U.S. students.

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Peronally, I really like the idea of taking the kids who are not A students, but really try.  Those are the ones who should be honored and encouraged the most, but are totally ignored.

Those so-called honor students will be just fine because they get all the scholarships and awards.

Those students who need the scholarships and recognition the most will not get a damn thing, but are the ones who would benefit more from even a little attention.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why don't they just add awards for kids who busted thier asses?

I remember getting an invitation to honors night...i was so surprised and excited. I'm smart but i have ADD so i don't get very good grades (well...as good as they should be). I got an award for writing and for this my senior project that only 2 other kids got. Honestly, it was the first time I understood that despite my grades, i wasn't mediocre...i actually was talented, school work just didn't suit me.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

lamest shit I've ever heard...The parents of all top achievers should get together and plan something super awesome for the kids.

Due9
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like what the government is doing to the successful people in this country.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I was wondering who would defend this.

The honor students were probably too white.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

The Principal best knows the students, and so is in the best position to make these kinds of decisions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN