Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

MA High School Principle decides to punish the top achievers, because it wouldn't be fair.....

Posted by   + Show Post

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school's Honors Night, saying it could be 'devastating' to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Some parents disagree with his philosophy.

"It's been a tradition in Ipswich, and you're very proud as a parent to see your child, as well as some of the other children who made, really, some great efforts," Dave Morin, a parent, told the station.

Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

Click for more from MyFoxBoston.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20/massachusetts-principal-calls-off-honor-night-because-it-could-be-devastating/?test=latestnews#ixzz2O8D4FY9J

grandma B

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (81-86):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Ah, but I'll bet the sports teams still get their special night, besides the assembly at the end of the school year.

The problem here is the attitude that some people's feelings might get hurt, so therefore, no one gets honored.  It's as ludicrous as all little kids get trophies in little league, not just the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place "teams".  I don't believe kids should get trophies just for being there.  They should get recognition for outstanding performance.  So, using this crackpot's reasoning, I guess none of the little kids on little league should get a trophy, not even the winning team.

Not recognizing a person's outstanding accomplishments, hard work, and efforts breads mediocrity.  Extrapolate that to the work place.  Is the hard worker going to continue to bust his ass, put in overtime when needed, be there all of the time, etc. if there is no benefit to him in the end such as a raise or promotion?

As for them still being recognized, yes they will be, along with possibly a hundred or more kids in a general assembly.  It's hardly the same as a "special" night with your parents and relatives in attendance. 

Quoting Sisteract:

They are still being honored and recognized.

How come life is not fair does not apply to all?

I guess only having one acknowledgment is not enough...life isn't fair, right?

Quoting grandmab125:

He cancelled the honor's night dinner and ceremony, which was an anual event at the school.  Instead, the kids will just get recognized at an assembly at the end of the school year.  It's hardly the same thing.  In fact, he could do both, kwim?

Quoting autodidact:

the article says both that he's cancelling it, and that it will be held later in a different format. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Try again.....It's the principal who makes no sense, not the article.

Quoting autodidact:

This article makes no sense

grandma B

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting grandmab125:

Ah, but I'll bet the sports teams still get their special night, besides the assembly at the end of the school year.

The problem here is the attitude that some people's feelings might get hurt, so therefore, no one gets honored.  It's as ludicrous as all little kids get trophies in little league, not just the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place "teams".  I don't believe kids should get trophies just for being there.  They should get recognition for outstanding performance.  So, using this crackpot's reasoning, I guess none of the little kids on little league should get a trophy, not even the winning team.

Not recognizing a person's outstanding accomplishments, hard work, and efforts breads mediocrity.  Extrapolate that to the work place.  Is the hard worker going to continue to bust his ass, put in overtime when needed, be there all of the time, etc. if there is no benefit to him in the end such as a raise or promotion?

As for them still being recognized, yes they will be, along with possibly a hundred or more kids in a general assembly.  It's hardly the same as a "special" night with your parents and relatives in attendance. 

And again, how come "life is not fair"  does not apply to those kids who are only being honored once as opposed to having an entire evening dedicated to them? Perhaps this is a money thing; funding issue?

You do realize that sports programs make money, right?

Aren't you a Repub;fiscally conservative? These things are generally about $$$$-

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The principal said it was because other students would be "devestated" that they weren't honored too.  He said nothing about the decision being a financial one, now did he?  Sorry, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting grandmab125:

And again, how come "life is not fair"  does not apply to those kids who are only being honored once as opposed to having an entire evening dedicated to them? Perhaps this is a money thing; funding issue?

You do realize that sports programs make money, right?

Aren't you a Repub;fiscally conservative? These things are generally about $$$$-

grandma B

iuangina
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Really?!?!?! This is so stupid. What a nanny society we live in. I hate to these people who think that we are hurting self-esteem....society doesn't care about that. The real world is going to crush these kids like a little bug.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Don't know.  We're not close like that.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

What problems?

SoKamele
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

More entitlement crap....No sense of pride for anything. Just give everybody a ribbon...so nobody's feelings get hurt.

Crap.....just crap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN