Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PETA Euthanized 90% Of The Animals They Sheltered In 2012

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 15 Replies

article image
By Jonathan Wolfe, Wed, March 20, 2013

Many people are accusing well-known animal rights charity PETA of hypocrisy today.

The criticism is in response to documents obtained from the Virginia Department of Agricultural and Consumer Services revealing that the charity euthanized 90% of the animals brought into its Virginia HQ last year.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, famous for campaigning against all forms of animal abuse and exploitation, euthanized 1,647 cats and dogs last year while only placing 19 in new homes.

According to the report, PETA took in 1,110 cats and 733 dogs in 2012. 22 cats and 108 dogs were transferred to another shelter, and two cats and three dogs were reclaimed by their owner. Meanwhile, 1,045 cats and 602 dogs were euthanized.

The documents also reveal that PETA has euthanized 29,398 animals since 1998.

The statistics are being promoted by the Center for Consumer Freedom, a restaurant advocacy coalition that has had issues with PETA in the past. Justin Wilson, a Senior Research Analyst at the coalition, accused PETA of reaching "the height of hypocrisy" in light of the findings.

"It seems PETA is more dedicated to publicity stunts than to keeping the animals in its own care alive. It's the height of hypocrisy for PETA to demonstrate for the 'rights' of rats and pigs, while killing tens of thousands of pets. It's time that the Commonwealth of Virginia finally reclassifies PETA's pet shelter for what it is - a slaughterhouse," he said.

A PETA spokeswoman responded to the criticism, saying the organization has no choice but to euthanize many of the animals it takes.

"We have a small division that does hands-on work with animals, and most of the animals we take in are society's rejects; aggressive, on death's door, or somehow adoptable," she said.

The spokeswoman also criticized the Center for Consumer Freedom, saying "CCF's goal is to damage PETA by misrepresenting the situation and the number of unwanted and suffering animals."

An additional statement from PETA said that "PETA refers adoptable animals to the high-traffic open-admission shelters where they have the best chance of being seen and finding a new home."

Previously, PETA has said euthanasia is a last resort for the animals they bring into shelters. "Euthanasia is not a solution to overpopulation but rather a tragic necessity given the present crisis," they said.

However, critics are not buying PETA's reasoning, saying the organization should be able to achieve higher adoption rates with its $37 million annual budget.

Although PETA euthanizes around 90% of the animals they take in, the charity estimates that only 50% of animals taken into shelters nationwide are euthanized.

(Daily Mail, Daily Caller)

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I have read this before, I think its a long term problem and I think PETA is totally crazy.  Very sad story though :(

hockytwndhampyr
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
LOL...took the words right out of my mouth. Totally sad story.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I have read this before, I think its a long term problem and I think PETA is totally crazy.  Very sad story though :(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this
PETA is made up of wack jobs. The fact that they euthanized so many is old news. Our local shelter has one of the best adoption rates in the nation. The head of animal control here is a regular customer of mine. He consults on cases all over the state. We were just talking about this. He hates PETA.
4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Peta believes that "pet keeping"  should never have happened in the first place.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
How sad :(
gammie
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I never liked them or supported them.

My son told me about the killing years ago.

happymama2D
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I have heard this before as well. I very much agree with a lot of what PETA stands for, especially in regards to the fur industry, animals used for entertainment, etc., but they have become nothing short of a joke with their extreme,in your face antics and hypocrisy. Some people just don't care about animals enough to change their ways and the other people, who love animals, but probably just don't understand the reality of it all, need to be educated so that they feel compassion and want to change their ways. PETA accomplishes none of that with their lunacy.
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
It's also hilarious that the head of PETA is only alive because of animal testing.... Yet doesn't want anyone else to get the benefits.....
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Euthanizing pets nobody wants isn't inhumane.

We just got a new dog and i visited a number of shelters to find the dog we wanted. We visited one shelter...a no kill shelter that was like dog hell. I was so disturbed by the time we left i was in tears (and i'm not a crybaby). I can guarantee those dogs would rather be dead than living in that horrible place.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

This does not surprise me at all.

I have never, nor will I ever, support PETA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)