Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Steubenville don’t just show a girl being raped. They show that rape being condoned, encouraged, celebrated. This is a Rape culture

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 411 Replies
11 moms liked this

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2013/03/steubenville-rape-cultures-abu-ghraib-moment

The pictures from Steubenville don’t just show a girl being raped. They show that rape being condoned, encouraged, celebrated. What type of culture could possibly produce such pictures? Only one in which women's autonomy and right to safety counts for so little that these rapists, and those who held the cameras, felt themselves 'perfectly justified'. Only one in which rape and sexual humiliation of women and girls is so normalised that it does not register as a crime in the minds of the assailants. Only one in which victims are powerless, silenced, dismissed. It is impossible to imagine that in such a culture, assault and humiliation of this kind would not be routine - and indeed, the most conservative estimates suggest that ninety thousand women and ten thousand men are raped in the United States alone every year. That’s what makes the Steubenville case so very uncomfortable - and so important.

Here we have incontrovertible evidence of happy young people not only hurting and humiliating others, but taking pleasure in it, posing with their victims. The Abu Ghraib torture pictures were trophies. The Steubenville rape photos are trophies. They're mementoes of what must have felt, at the time, like everyone was having the sort of fun they'd want to remember, the sort of fun they'd want to prove to themselves and others later. The Steubenville rapists had fun, and they broadcast that fun to the world. They were confident that nothing could touch them, so baffled by the idea of punishment that they wept like children in court.

Pictures don't just record reality. They change it. They change us as we take them and consume them. It matters not just that we have photographic evidence of a girl being raped, but that someone took pictures of the assault happening to send to their friends as memories of a jolly night gone a bit hairy. The Ohio teenager who is now receiving death threats for reporting her rape is far from the only young woman to have her assault recorded for posterity. In the past five years, rapes and sexual assaults involving one or more attacker or involved bystander stepping back to pull out a smartphone have proliferated. What makes these men so sure of their inviolable right to stick their fingers and cocks into any part of any female they can hold down that they actually make and distribute images of each other doing so? Rape culture. That’s what rape culture is. The cultural acceptance of rape.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
24 moms liked this
It's absolutely disgusting and the comments that I have read from WOMEN on this site blaming the victim are even more sickening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

The article is longer but I often see people asking what a Rape Culture is (When it is brought up) and I often see people blaming the victim and defending the rapist.

I thought this was a perfect portrayal of what a Rape Culture is.

Students who think it is a joyous occasion to rape a young girl.
Who will brag about it and mock the girl at the same time.
Students will saw it laughing and giggling as he describes what happens.
Posting pictures on Facebook and tweeting about it.
A coach that will work with a city to hide/get rid of the problem.
Then people saying the punishment was too harsh despite that it was light and juvenile court.
Then people threatening the victim because she would dare point at the rapist.
And then instead of people saying, "Rape is wrong and we need to teach kids that they need consent before touching a woman" People say, "Well she was drunk! She shouldn't have been drunk! If she wasnt drunk this wouldn't have happened".

For anyone who has ever wondered why people say we have a rape cultural. This is it.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

eema.gray
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Best description I've read of rape culture.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
8 moms liked this

These "men"/"boys" took pictures of their crime and everyone is feeling sorry for them in that town. Talking about how the "poor young men's bright future is destroyed". Well THEY DID IT TO THEMSELVES.  (sorry for all caps, just makes me angry people think like that).  I mean they knew better.  Then they took pictures of it to brag about it and show off. They are sick indivituals not innocent little boys. Their lives are destroyed? That young woman can't go anywhere without ridicule and she was the victim.  These people need to rally around the victim and stop ostracizing her.  The boys CHOSE to do this and brag about it.  Let them pay for their crimes and do NOT feel sorry for them. Yes their family loves them.........BUT what they did was wrong. IF  I had a child who did such horrors (I am teaching my son women are to be treasured not abused) I would help close the jail door and say I love you son but what you did was horrid and YOU WILL pay for it.  

Caera
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

They're all disgusting low-lifes. Every single one of them. The boys who raped her, those who watched and did nothing, those who joked about it afterwards, and the girl herself, who crossed state lines to engage in underage drinking with people she didn't know. That was incredibly stupid. She's an idiot, and they are monsters, and all of them have parents who probably should've been sterlized at 16. DISGUSTING.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Caera:

They're all disgusting low-lifes. Every single one of them. The boys who raped her, those who watched and did nothing, those who joked about it afterwards, and the girl herself, who crossed state lines to engage in underage drinking with people she didn't know. That was incredibly stupid. She's an idiot, and they are monsters, and all of them have parents who probably should've been sterlized at 16. DISGUSTING.

Alrighty then.

Jcothrine
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

thanks for posting this..... 

JC

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Crazy that anyone would blame the victim. What those boys and the friends of the girl should have done is protect this girl from herself. Not take advantage of her self induced incapacitation.
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Caera:

Idiot/incredibly stupid mistake aside. Do you think she contributed to those guys carriering her from party to party, and sexually assaulting and raping her in the process? And any of the bragging/tweeting/facebooking about it. and then the city trying to sweep it under the rug?

No one is saying she is a smart/innocent girl. We are saying she is not responsible or to blame for her rape. The rapist are.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
4 moms liked this
9 comments and someone has allready put blame on the victim. Great to call a rape victim a disgusting low-life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)