Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hackers Got a Woman Fired by a Startup After She Called Out Sexual Harassment?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok this is biased but there is a rebuttal

Today in the tech world's warped view of gender "norms": The cloud-based e-mail service SendGrid just fired Adria Richards, apparently for speaking out about sexual harassment after hackers made it clear they didn't approve of her complaining. 

The termination apparently came as the result of an unknown group of people — presumably men — who descended on the SendGrid website following an incident in which Richards, a (former) developer relations "evangelist," called out a man who made what she deemed sexist remarks during a presentation at PyCon, a conference for Python coders. She sent out the following tweet in addition to a post she wrote on her personal site

One of the men in that photo ended up getting fired for his "dongle" joke. Though, he claims, "the sexual context was applied by Adria," with regards to the "forking" jab. Since a certain type Internet crowd hates the idea of losing anonymity at the expense of sexist remarks — creepshots, anyone? — hackers shut down her employer's website. As a result and for similar reasons, SendGrid started losing some customers, like one person who tweeted: "Canceled my accout with @sendgrid today. I cannot do business with someone who supports a woman who gets a father fired over a joke #freedom." In addition, Richards also received a barrage of threats on Twitter. All of that seems to have resulted in the termination of Richards.

SendGrid says it will release more information on the decision today. Perhaps it "terminated" Richards's employment for other reasons. But it sure looks like she got fired because SendGrid was losing too much credibility in the very male-heavy developer community, which: Ugh. VentureBeat's John Kostler justifies SendGrid's move, saying: "There is legitimate concern over the public outing of a developer for what even by Richards’ account are fairly innocuous jokes." Except, well, she didn't appear to "out him" so much as he outed himself by saying inappropriate things out loud and at a very public event. Perhaps he didn't deserve to get fired for those remarks, but that's up to his employer. Richards merely pointed out to a larger audience what this guy said in public. 

However from the other side ....

Quoting from comments: 

Your piece is incredibly biased. What actually happened is that she overheard a joke in a private conversation that was not even sexist (she mistakenly ascribed sexist meaning to it), she then made a picture of the guys without their consent and posted it on Twitter (this is ACTUALLY against the conference rules FYI) to publicly humiliate them. Even that was not enough for her, she then called organisers to throw them out. Organisers of course believed her that the joke was sexist at the time (female privilege?) so they asked them to leave. One of them lost his job later because of it (a father of three). The last straw was her incredibly arrogant blog and tweets, comparing herself to brave Joan from Arc for this whole immature tantrum over a silly joke. Add her racist tweets to the mix and you can understand why people became upset.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/03/adria-richards-sendgrind-fired/63400/

First, can it be harasseement when you eavsdrop on a private conversation?

Second, does this type of article do more harm than good all things considered? 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

shes a bitch.  After her 15minutes

and NO you should not be able to scream sexism or harrasment from a private conversation.  If I was talking to my friends complaining about my husbands brain stays in his dick most of the day....does that mean that a male overhearing it could use that as a point to scream sexism?!  and to lose my job over it...that is jsut stuffed. 

My employers would be expecting a wrongful termination lawsuit!!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

oh and the article is just poor journalism, the tone is of personal preference...it writes like a blog which is something I read with a raised eyebrow anyway.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM
If it was a private conversation she shouldnt have been able to over hear it.

I thought that harrassment was something that occured more than once. I don't see how one joke is harassment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I don't know about the private conversation not being something one can overhear. It seems to me if I were having a conversation with a friend in a booth at a restaurant I would consider it a private conversation, that does not necessarily mean another person in the booth next to me could not overhear it if they tried.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I thought that harrassment was something that occured more than once. I don't see how one joke is harassment.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not consider a conversation in a resturant private. I don't think you can have a private conversation in a public place.

Quoting stormcris:

I don't know about the private conversation not being something one can overhear. It seems to me if I were having a conversation with a friend in a booth at a restaurant I would consider it a private conversation, that does not necessarily mean another person in the booth next to me could not overhear it if they tried.

Quoting UpSheRises:

AmberRose1122
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I think it sounds a little far fetched that she did this all to humiliate them.
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Well if you check out her twitter, she called them out and continued to do so after the situation was reported and handled, she then further called herself Joan of Arc, she continued on and on about it. She also seems to go on and on about diversity and correcting various people at the conference.

She snapped a picture and tweeted it before reporting it.

She also told a guy to stuff socks in his pants for TSA on her twitter page before this.

and...

Call a developer a liar about a diversity panel mistake.

I think this is where they got the idea.

Quoting AmberRose1122:

AmberRose1122
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I just suspect an underlying reason, such as mental instability on her part or ongoing bullying on their part.

Quoting stormcris:

Well if you check out her twitter, she called them out and continued to do so after the situation was reported and handled, she then further called herself Joan of Arc, she continued on and on about it. She also seems to go on and on about diversity and correcting various people at the conference.

She also told a guy to stuff socks in his pants for TSA on her twitter page before this.

and...

Quoting AmberRose1122:

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Perhaps

Quoting AmberRose1122:

I just suspect an underlying reason, such as mental instability on her part or ongoing bullying on their part.

Quoting stormcris:

and...

Quoting AmberRose1122:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)