Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NEED HELP QUICK

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 18 Replies

my ds just ate piece of raw chicken i was cutting it up and went to answer the phone came back and he was eating a peice of raw chicken uggg so will it make him or will one piece like 1 inch cube be ok 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

IDK...I'd call poison control if your doctor's office is closed, just to be sure.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Id just watch him....Just me though.  My kids ate dirt and it never hurt them. 

Unless its an actual poisonous substance...there is a lot worse things that they can eat than raw meat.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If it were me, I'd make him drink a 1/4 cup or so of vinegar or lemon juice and that'd be the end of my worries. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Chicken is very likely to have salmonella.  Something like 80% of all chicken is tainted with salmonella.  I would probably call poison control...although I just noticed this post is a couple hours old.  Can you come back op and tell us what you did?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I suppose you are worried about a bacterial infection. I would call the nurse hotline for the peds office and ask their advice.

DD ate one of those little packets of stuff you find in packaging to control moisture when she was four. She thought it was a pack of nerds. The nurse hotline was very helpful.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM
There is no way to know if it had salmonella. Chances are he will be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

Chicken is very likely to have salmonella.  Something like 80% of all chicken is tainted with salmonella.  I would probably call poison control...although I just noticed this post is a couple hours old.  Can you come back op and tell us what you did?

I agree with this...I don't trust chicken...I don't even eat chicken anymore. 

I'd call to be on the safe side...but people DO eat raw meat and survive.

Hope she checks in soon because I'm concerned for her kiddo. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes, well salmonella is very easy to kill and many strains don't even make you that sick.  Many times people who have a little tummy trouble for a few days, but nothing to keep you from going about your day, have some strain of salmonella.

I am just curious if poison control even had any advice.  Maybe just watching the baby to see if they get sick, and treating the symptoms, is all you can really do.

I like chicken but I treat it like contamination until it is cooked.  I have a spray bottle of bleach and spray down my whole kitchen when I am prepping chicken.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting stacymomof2:

ammiemarie0307
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this

he ended up ok called dr office they said look for vomiting diarrhea ect and there has been none thank you ladies so much for you help

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes, well salmonella is very easy to kill and many strains don't even make you that sick.  Many times people who have a little tummy trouble for a few days, but nothing to keep you from going about your day, have some strain of salmonella.

I am just curious if poison control even had any advice.  Maybe just watching the baby to see if they get sick, and treating the symptoms, is all you can really do.

I like chicken but I treat it like contamination until it is cooked.  I have a spray bottle of bleach and spray down my whole kitchen when I am prepping chicken.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting stacymomof2:

You are wise. 

Hope the baby is okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)