Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/o of rape culture

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 46 Replies

It's not just limited to athletics. I've been listening to this series while driving to work the past few days. Be warned: It very likely will piss you off.

http://www.npr.org/series/174842020/americas-woman-warriors

A sample: 

Off The Battlefield, Military Women Face Risks From Male Troops

Dora Hernandez gave a decade of her life to the U.S. Navy and the Army National Guard, but some of the dangers surprised her.

"The worst thing for me is that you don't have to worry about the enemy, you have to worry about your own soldiers," she says.

Sitting in a circle, a group of women nod in agreement. All are veterans, most have spent time in Iraq and Afghanistan, but they're also survivors of another war. According to the Pentagon's own research, more than 1 in 4 women who join the military will be sexually assaulted during their careers.

"I was assaulted while I was in boot camp in the Army, and I was raped when I went to the Navy," says Sabina Rangel, who is hosting the group in her living room outside El Paso, Texas.

-----------

Much more at the link, including a story on how the military handles (or doesn't handle) these cases. 22 years after Tailhook, what have we learned?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM

My husband is a 28 year veteran of the Army.  He is a dinosaur, in the kindest sense of the word.  While he does not disagree with a woman's ability to serve equally along side men, he does disagree with some training methods.  He HATES that 1 out of 4 servicewomen will be sexually assaulted during their careers.  It offends his sensibilities as a southern gentleman, a retired senior NCO, and as a serving police officer.  Because he works on a military post, he sees women reporting sexual assaults on an astonishingly regular basis.

The Marine Corps is doing one thing right.  They train women and men separate during basic training.  My husband talks about how familiarity breeds contempt.  During the most vulnerable period of a soldier's training, their initial basic training, putting men and women into the kind of close contact demanded creates an odd sort of contempt for women.  The Army, Air Force, and Navy intended for young men and women to understand that they are equals in training and ability by instituting co-ed basic training but somehow, the very opposite is happening.  So far, the Marine Corps is the only service that has managed to train women equal to men, but keeping the two separate during that initial vulnerable phase.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Do you think that this practice has lowered the risks of a female marine getting raped?  I would be very interested in the answer, and if it is positive, the my next question would be how to get this implemented in the other branches of military.

Quoting eema.gray:

My husband is a 28 year veteran of the Army.  He is a dinosaur, in the kindest sense of the word.  While he does not disagree with a woman's ability to serve equally along side men, he does disagree with some training methods.  He HATES that 1 out of 4 servicewomen will be sexually assaulted during their careers.  It offends his sensibilities as a southern gentleman, a retired senior NCO, and as a serving police officer.  Because he works on a military post, he sees women reporting sexual assaults on an astonishingly regular basis.

The Marine Corps is doing one thing right.  They train women and men separate during basic training.  My husband talks about how familiarity breeds contempt.  During the most vulnerable period of a soldier's training, their initial basic training, putting men and women into the kind of close contact demanded creates an odd sort of contempt for women.  The Army, Air Force, and Navy intended for young men and women to understand that they are equals in training and ability by instituting co-ed basic training but somehow, the very opposite is happening.  So far, the Marine Corps is the only service that has managed to train women equal to men, but keeping the two separate during that initial vulnerable phase.

babiesbabybaby development

eema.gray
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I haven't seen statistics on the Marines vs the other services. It's curious though that so far, female Marines haven't come forward in the same numbers as from the Army, Air Force, and Navy. That leads me to the uneducated conclusion that either the Corps is doing a better job of covering up the problem or else it's somehow less of a problem there. Maybe because the Corps is smaller than the other services? I know that the Coast Guard also conducts co-ed basic training and they also don't appear to have the same issues. Again, a smaller service, and a significantly different training philosophy and mission orientation. So maybe, it all comes down to mission and attitude, things that are very, very difficult to change in the immediate future. From my understanding, men and women train completely separate during Marine Corps basic training and effectively don't see each other until they go to individual training. I'm not sure how or why this seems to change how women are treated.
Quoting kailu1835:

Do you think that this practice has lowered the risks of a female marine getting raped?  I would be very interested in the answer, and if it is positive, the my next question would be how to get this implemented in the other branches of military.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I think it is a great idea to curb the resentment toward females.

I don't know how much it would do to stop a guy from raping a female though. :/

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting eema.gray:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Yeah...More than 1 in 4 men will be sexually assaulted (read: touched or approached in sexually-inappropriate means) during their adult lives.

The difference: they don't sit around acting surprised by it. It's been happening to them since they were toddlers.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM
I think it's the structure of the military! I would like to see how many higher up women are raped VS the lower enlisted/new officers. not every male shows the dominance in the same way, but some do show it by raping/abusing. And it doesn't have to be a CO it could be an E-4 and an E-3 It's also the fact that the higher ups tend to stick together, or they don't want other higher ups to know that something isn't right within their command/unit, so it's swept under the rug! There have been number of reports and some documentaries about this issue, but there is just this animosity towards women in the military! Men are heroes, women are ruining their children's lives! Men are heroes, the women are whores! Believe me I've heard it all! we need to change the image of the woman in the military! And I read a blog where former veterans wrote their stories, and it was heartbreaking!
I Also want to say that sometimes it's made to look like most males in the military must be rapists, but I disagree with that, and would like to know how many of these women were harassed/raped by the same men.
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM
I'm not sure how this ties into the op at all? Could you clarify please?

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah...More than 1 in 4 men will be sexually assaulted (read: touched or approached in sexually-inappropriate means) during their adult lives.

The difference: they don't sit around acting surprised by it. It's been happening to them since they were toddlers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

A woman is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than she is to be killed in battle.

That's beyond shameful.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

This is very sad!

gammie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

"The Invisible War" is a great documentary about rape in the military I posted about this a while back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN