Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This has got to stop

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 30 Replies
SOUTHGATE — A little more than three hours after a 13-year-old student took his life at Davidson Middle School Thursday morning, the city’s public safety director said authorities were trying to figure out why.

Speaking at a press conference at Veterans Memorial Library, Thomas Coombs said the boy, an eighth-grader, shot himself once in the head with a .40-caliber Glock handgun at about 8:15 a.m. in a second-floor restroom.

Police have not released the student’s name.

“We are not finding anything that would indicate there was a reason, whether he was suffering from some sort of depression or feeling bad about an incident or anything like that,” Coombs said. “We have not been able to determine that and obviously we’re still attempting to determine why.”

School Supt. William Grusecki said bullying did not appear to be a factor.

Another student found the boy and alerted a female staff member before police were called. No one else was in the bathroom at the time of the shooting and there were no other injuries.

From speaking with other students and staff, Coombs said it did not appear that the boy had any problems with anyone nor were there any indicators he was planning anything like this. Coombs said police had spoken with his parents and there did not seem to be any family problems that would have led to the incident.

The boy was taken to Oakwood Southshore Medical Center in Trenton and was brain dead on arrival. He was pronounced dead shortly after.

A note was found on the boy at the hospital. It is unclear what it said, but it appeared to be a suicide note and included a goodbye message to another student, Coombs said.

Authorities don’t yet know how the boy got the weapon. Charges could be filed against the owner of the gun once that is determined, Coombs said. Continued...

The school was locked down immediately after the teen was discovered. Once the student was taken out of the school and police told the staff that it was an isolated incident, parents were notified they could pick up their children.

“We made sure all the kids went home with a parent or had permission to go to another parent’s home or another family’s home,” Grusecki said. “We did not allow any kids to walk home.”

If police can find the reason for the boy’s action, the district could use that information to help someone in the future who might be dealing with personal issues, Coombs said.

Several students told media outlets earlier in the day that they believed the boy was bullied. Coombs said if the investigation shows that is the case, police will determine who played what role and to what extent the boy was picked on before proceeding with any charges.

“We’ve spoken to quite a few students and teachers,” Coombs said. “They’ve indicated that does not appear to be the case.”

By 10:30 a.m., lines of parents were at the school, waiting to be allowed in four at a time to pick up students.

Classes will resume at Davidson, 15600 Trenton Road, on Monday morning. Counselors will be available then to help students and staff. Other school districts in the area have offered help and resources for counseling, Grusekci said.

There will be an increased security presence Monday, Grusecki added. Bags will be searched when students enter the building.

He asked that students carry their books in the open instead of in backpacks and avoid wearing bulky coats.

“We’ll look for certain things, like bulky garments or anything like that, and we’ll take the appropriate steps,” he said.

Schools in the district do not have metal detectors. Grusecki said he and other school officials will work over the next few days to find ways to make buildings safer.

“We had no idea that student was coming into the building armed,” he said.

Police Chief Jeffrey Smith said officers will be at the school Monday to assist with security.

The dead boy was a good student and somewhat popular, Grusecki said, and no one suspected he would harm himself.

“Talking with the staff at the building, he had never gone to anybody with any issues or problems or anything like that,” Grusecki said. “The only person who can answer what happened, unfortunately, he can’t answer that right now.”

As the investigation continues, police will conduct follow-up interviews with parents, staff, classmates and friends of the boy.

“To determine if he was having some type of mental issues or if he was suffering from anything or if there was some type of incident that created this incident,” Coombs said.

Davidson houses about 800 students, all eighth- and ninth-graders in the district. Beginning next school year, all students in grades six through eight will attend classes there. Continued...

Grusecki commended the staff at Davidson for taking care of students and parents after the shooting. Once things calmed down, he had an emotional meeting with them in the school’s library.

“Because the reality finally had the opportunity to sink in,” Grusecki said. “They dealt with the kids and the parents first and then … once they sat down and we addressed them, and the police were in there, too, we could see it in their faces. It was difficult for all of us

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

:(

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
4 moms liked this
The schools don't care. In my experience, public schools just want kids to attend and pass the standard tests. In my experience, private schools just want tuition paid. It all comes down to money.

As a parent, it is difficult to get my tweens to open up. Most days, my kids say school is fine. I've learned to watch for changes in behavior, a change in the quality of their homework and I snoop through their book bags.

At the school, I make sure the staff recognizes my face and associates me with my kids. I've found it is easier to get answers when the staff knows you by face.

Parents are under a lot of stress. Schools are under a lot of red tape. Kids are being left behind in more ways than one. Mental illness, bullying, low self worth, poor academics and eating disorders are difficult to spot in crowded classrooms and with teachers pushing political agendas.

In general, in my area, I think the youth suicide rate is increasing because parents and teachers aren't working together for the benefit of the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM
4 moms liked this

Yeah...the response so far has been to step up security so that you can't bring a gun into school. How about stepping up integrity so children don't kill themselves in their bathroom.

Quoting Fullmoon_Goddes:

The schools don't care. In my experience, public schools just want kids to attend and pass the standard tests. In my experience, private schools just want tuition paid. It all comes down to money.

As a parent, it is difficult to get my tweens to open up. Most days, my kids say school is fine. I've learned to watch for changes in behavior, a change in the quality of their homework and I snoop through their book bags.

At the school, I make sure the staff recognizes my face and associates me with my kids. I've found it is easier to get answers when the staff knows you by face.

Parents are under a lot of stress. Schools are under a lot of red tape. Kids are being left behind in more ways than one. Mental illness, bullying, low self worth, poor academics and eating disorders are difficult to spot in crowded classrooms and with teachers pushing political agendas.

In general, in my area, I think the youth suicide rate is increasing because parents and teachers aren't working together for the benefit of the kids.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM
This is sad and not my experience at all. Maybe we've just been lucky to have teachers who really care about their students, or maybe they're just reflecting back the care we obviously show our kids. Either way, my kids schools and teachers are very open, very communicative, and very willing to work with us as a team on the occasions there has been an issue.

Quoting Fullmoon_Goddes:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

:(  it just breaks my heart when I hear this has happen.  I just don't know why things like this keep on happening.  All schools should have metal detectors.  Makes me wonder is it harder growing up now days, then it was yrs. ago.  Are there more pressures, than yrs. ago.  Seems guns are more available to young people & that parents aren't careful enough with them.  So sad :(  I hope we hear more about this case & others, so we can figure out what is going on.  Is it bullying, depression or his home life. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

This breaks my heart. I can not understand why kids are picking such a permanent answer to a temporary question.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Hard to make any blanket statements without knowing the dirty details...but I find it ridiculous to punish the entire study body by now forcing extra security measures on them.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
3 moms liked this

At that age, every problem seems insurmountable.

My sweet little cousin killed himself at age 14. To anyone else, his problems didn't seem like a big deal, but to him, it was too much. He'd be 36 now, probably with a family of his own.  

It is so hard to get kids that age to open up and then, it is hard to reconcile that what seems minor to an adult is a HUGE deal to a kid. We all know that it goes away, to them, it is forever.

Poor kid. I wish someone had helped him. I wish he'd known that someone could help him past whatever it was that put him in that place.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)