Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT: Need help from moms who dehydrate

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 6 Replies

DH got me this fabulous Nesco Gardenmaster. It's great. 15 trays of goodness...15 clean screens, 15 leather trays...i am in heaven. My old one was really crappy...it didn't have a thermometer or a fan and was pretty small so i had to rotate the trays and all that jazz...

Well, yesterday when i was taking off the tomatoes i did i noticed that some of them had some discolored granular looking parts on the underside of them. I wondered if it might possible by mold...like maybe it grew because i had the temperature wrong? Could that happen or was it probably just the texture of the pulp when it was dried?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Probably the pulp. You are probably just noticing the difference between your new really good dehydrator, and the old crummy one. How long were they in there? 

* did you see more of it on the ones that were closer to the bottom? 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

They were in there for about 14 hours. Now that you mention it, i think i did notice more on the bottom trays. I am pretty new at this and still don't fully trust the food :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Probably the pulp. You are probably just noticing the difference between your new really good dehydrator, and the old crummy one. How long were they in there? 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The food on the bottom gets more heat and it is more dry the closer to the bottom on dehydrators, even the best ones. What you are seeing is uber dried tomato pulp. Lol it's a good thing. Some people actually like to gather those pieces and use it as a seasoning in raw diets. No worries. It's a learning curve. It's always better to ask!! ;-) 

Quoting UpSheRises:

They were in there for about 14 hours. Now that you mention it, i think i did notice more on the bottom trays. I am pretty new at this and still don't fully trust the food :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for your help.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

The food on the bottom gets more heat and it is more dry the closer to the bottom on dehydrators, even the best ones. What you are seeing is uber dried tomatoe pulp. Lol it's a good thing. Some people actually like to gather those pieces and use it as a seasoning in raw diets. No worries. It's a learning curve. It's always better to ask!! ;-) 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Anytime. ;-) you should have seen some of the stuff I did when I first started. Lol I had the ronco dehydrator originally and it was crappy. Big time. Now I have the Excalibur 9 tray which I love. One day I hope to have a huge commercial dehydrator. If I win poweball this weekend ill buy us both one. Lol 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Thank you for your help.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

The food on the bottom gets more heat and it is more dry the closer to the bottom on dehydrators, even the best ones. What you are seeing is uber dried tomatoe pulp. Lol it's a good thing. Some people actually like to gather those pieces and use it as a seasoning in raw diets. No worries. It's a learning curve. It's always better to ask!! ;-) 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Dehydrators are great. I have a smaller Nesco unit and it works fairly well. I just follow the temp suggestions on the lid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)