Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Women Bashing Women: When to draw the line.

Posted by   + Show Post

If anyone isn't aware, recently making national news, a 16 yr old girl's rapists, also ranging from 16-17, were convicted and sentence for their crime (Steubenville, Ohio case if you want to research). Immediately following their sentencing, other teenage GIRLS raced to social media sites to bash and threaten her. I first thoughts are: "Are you serious?" and "Unbelievable!" As a girl/women how can you go so far as to threaten or bash another girl/women who's the victim in this situation? But the issue goes farther than this case, because it wouldn't be the first of its kind. So the questions posed are: When is enough, quiet frankly, enough? Why is it so acceptable to belittle, berate, slander, threaten, and demean other women? We already live in a patriarchal society, why is so necessary to further push women down the ladder of progression? Please weigh in with your thoughts. 

Thanks

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Replies (31-33):
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I personally don't believe in "sister hood" solidarity. However, blaming a woman for being raped is absolutely disgusting no matter the gender. I think there is something inherently flawed in someone who would blame or send death threats to a rape victim.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I think you cross the line, pertaining to here on Cafemom, when you threaten or wish physical harm upon someone, or especially to their children. Both have happened to me here, in this group. I've been told by people that they hope my family goes bankrupt, that they hope my child is killed suddenly in a car crash, or that I die unexpectedly so that my child suffers. To me, that's taking it too far. It's just the internet, if you are so invested that you actually wish harm and/or death upon someone or their family simply because of someone's opinion, you are taking it way too far.

ccobb1010
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Sorry to hear that, especially about your child because to me personally those are fighting words. What would make someone threaten your family or wish bad luck on you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)