Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Women Bashing Women: When to draw the line.

Posted by   + Show Post

If anyone isn't aware, recently making national news, a 16 yr old girl's rapists, also ranging from 16-17, were convicted and sentence for their crime (Steubenville, Ohio case if you want to research). Immediately following their sentencing, other teenage GIRLS raced to social media sites to bash and threaten her. I first thoughts are: "Are you serious?" and "Unbelievable!" As a girl/women how can you go so far as to threaten or bash another girl/women who's the victim in this situation? But the issue goes farther than this case, because it wouldn't be the first of its kind. So the questions posed are: When is enough, quiet frankly, enough? Why is it so acceptable to belittle, berate, slander, threaten, and demean other women? We already live in a patriarchal society, why is so necessary to further push women down the ladder of progression? Please weigh in with your thoughts. 

Thanks

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
ccobb1010
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM

It depends on what the subject is what that woman is being judged/critized for. For example, being rape (like in my topic) for making a poor decision. I'm not talking women who prostitute or whatever, even though I don't judge them for what they do. It's one of the oldest professions in the world and I haven't walked a mile in that person's shoes.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

In this particular case, I'd say the two most likely motives are (a) gaining approval from boys by both differentiating themselves from "that kind" of girl and by showing how they disapprove of a boy being punished for his behavior with "that kind" of girl or (b) rage that the victim didn't quietly accept what happened to her in the way that either they always have when it's happened to themselves or other girls they've known--that calls into question their own behavior in a very public way. 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I don't think women have a natural dislike of each other.  For one thing, I'm definitely a woman and if disliking other women in general was a natural thing, then I would. But I don't.  I have met women who seemed to just really dislke women in general, but it was usually pretty clear why they did and what they got out of it.

Quoting SoKamele:

That's how men keep women down.....our natural dislike of each other. Using our own weakness against us.

Cafemom is a perfect example. Women loving to put other women down...just because they can.

Shame on those girls.....and shame on their parents. If my child did that. Well..let's just say they would know the meaning of hell on earth.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM

This.

Quoting PestPatti:

Some will never draw the line, until circumstances FORCE them to draw the line.  

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Sad, but I agree. :(

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I said it in an earlier thread but I really believe that the women who do this think they will be congratulated and protected by the men they are standing up for. They think that the girls that complain about rape are being babies because they should have never let themselves get hurt in the first place and by standing by the right for "men to be men" they think that somehow the men will see them as an ally instead of a target. Watch the unpopular kids get a chance to pick on someone else at the behest of the really popular kid. They really believe that by standing up for the bastards, the bastards will no longer see them as potential victims and they can all be friends. Makes as much sense but people are usually stupid

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I also think to some degree there is magical thinking happening. it's comforting to think that rape can be avoided by the "right" clothing choices and by limiting women's freedom to "appropriate" times and places.

if you believe it was the woman's fault that means you can do things differently and be safe. 

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I said it in an earlier thread but I really believe that the women who do this think they will be congratulated and protected by the men they are standing up for. They think that the girls that complain about rape are being babies because they should have never let themselves get hurt in the first place and by standing by the right for "men to be men" they think that somehow the men will see them as an ally instead of a target. Watch the unpopular kids get a chance to pick on someone else at the behest of the really popular kid. They really believe that by standing up for the bastards, the bastards will no longer see them as potential victims and they can all be friends. Makes as much sense but people are usually stupid

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Quoting autodidact:
I also think to some degree there is magical thinking happening. it's comforting to think that rape can be avoided by the "right" clothing choices and by limiting women's freedom to "appropriate" times and places.

if you believe it was the woman's fault that means you can do things differently and be safe. 

THIS^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Quoting autodidact:

This thinking isn't just from thin air, either: it's part of the rape culture. There are messages everywhere that perpetuate the vigin/slut dichotomy, and just one of it's forms is the part of your comment above that I bigged 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I have never bought into the idea of "women need to stick together".  I don't agree with sticking by someone no matter what, based soley on their gender, or any other characteristic.  That being said, when a woman is a victim of a crime, especially rape, THAT is when I believe that women must stick by women.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Cubanmom84
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We all are not suppose to agree with everyone cause we all have different opinions. And we should all have the right to voice them. I like having "discussions" that's what this whole thing is about. What I don't like nor do I participate is just useless childish and petty shit, if you can't have an adult discussion without trying to act like 12 years old with a complex then am not gonna bother.
It depends on the person, or you let it get to you or you just walk away cause it's not worth it.
Another thing women are vicious lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN