Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Vice President Biden ran up a $585,000 bill during his stay at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand Hotel in early February.

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
  • 7 Replies

Joe Biden Spent Over One Million Dollars On Two Hotel Bills

article image
By Jonathan Wolfe, Fri, March 22, 2013

Regardless of political affiliation, no one can accuse Vice President Joe Biden of being cheap.

The Weekly Standard drew attention to a government document today that shows Vice President Biden ran up a $585,000 bill during his stay at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand Hotel in early February.

A standard room in the hotel costs around $475 per night, and the royal two-bedroom suite typically costs $3,900 per night.

The Weekly Standard also referenced another one of Biden's hotel bills from the same five-day trip. The document, from the Hyatt Regency London, shows Biden racked up a $459,339 bill during his stay.

To be fair, Biden typically travels with an entourage of around 100 people.

But even after accounting for the entourage, as noted by MSN, the cost of Biden's bills just doesn't make sense.

Take a look at the numbers:

Biden reserved 136 rooms for 893 room nights during his stay at the Hyatt in London. For 893 room nights, all 136 rooms would have to be reserved for at least six nights each. Biden's entire European trip was only five days long.

The numbers don't add up for Biden's Paris hotel stay, either. Even if all 136 rooms were charged at the two-room suite price of $3,900 per night, which is unlikely, the total for the bill would still be over $50,000 less than the $585,000 cost.

During his trip, Biden and his entourage spent three days in Germany, one day in Paris, and one day in London.

So far, the vice president and his spokespeople have not released a statement on the story.

(MSN Money, Daily Mail, Weekly Standard)

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Nice that he and his can enjoy such lavish trips when so many Americans are struggling to get by. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this
Has to be more to the story, there always is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My guess would be it was a contract to provide meeting rooms, office facilities and catering, something along those lines.

Quoting LauraKW:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

They probably also booked the rooms a day or two early to do bug checks. I'm guessing the room costs probably don't include things like taxes which are added to the room bill. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

My guess would be it was a contract to provide meeting rooms, office facilities and catering, something along those lines.

Quoting LauraKW:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

To be fair, Biden typically travels with an entourage of around 100 people.
100 people divides that bill up to 5,850. Which is still a hefty price but no where near 585,000. And as someone else pointed out if they had catering or any special rooms well that is explain as well.

The more important question is how was it paid for and by who. Or if they were counting secret service members cost as news sites love to do (They do this to either party).
Quoting LauraKW:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I want to go to Paris...

DragonMother10
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I would love to have a million dollars, period! I wish I had a million to throw around like that. Gather friends and family to go on a trip and I pay for it all with no worries, that would be the life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)