Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I thought they couldnt do it this way (Taxes)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

I know someone who was audited by the city recently as she never filed city taxes.  The city charged her 550 in penalties and claimed she had 0 tax liability.  Is this right?  Maybe she needs a lawyer?

I thought if you didnt owe there were no penalties.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I don't know. When we lived in PA we had city taxes of 1.5% which were withheld from your paycheck. You didn't owe taxes at tax time, but you still had to sign the form and file. Something like that might be in the fine print of the tax code?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Quoting DSamuels:

I don't know. When we lived in PA we had city taxes of 1.5% which were withheld from your paycheck. You didn't owe taxes at tax time, but you still had to sign the form and file. Something like that might be in the fine print of the tax code?

Yes they have city payroll withholding here.  I feel bad for her, no fine print should be so expensive

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I really thought you have to file every year whether you owe or not as long as you are getting some kind of income.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DSamuels:

Yes they have city payroll withholding here.  I feel bad for her, no fine print should be so expensive

No, it shouldn't. 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The rules might be different for city taxes. My dad didn't have to file federal taxes when he made under a certain amount once he retired and was on SS. His annuities still kept him under the income requirement, or so he said.

Quoting .Bubbles.:

I really thought you have to file every year whether you owe or not as long as you are getting some kind of income.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

The penalties would be for not filing.  They are fines, not taxes.  Bummer for your friend. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM
What she said. Not filing is affecting that city. Someone isn't able to close their accounting and has to track the status of those properties.

Quoting momtoscott:

The penalties would be for not filing.  They are fines, not taxes.  Bummer for your friend. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

ALL fine print is expensive!!!!!! that's why it's put in fine print in the first place!

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DSamuels:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)