Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When it comes to your child's personality do you think it's more nature or nurture?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am the oldest of four girls and we couldn't be more different. My mom thinks it just nature of the beast. We are just born who we are...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Elyssa414
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Definitely a combination, but I see more nurture than nature in my kids. My adopted son is more like me that my biological one (at this time). :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I don't know...maybe a combination of both.  Our two daughters are ten years apart in age.  They are complete opposites.  There is very little about the two that is similar....except maybe their looks, and their love of  I Love Lucy :-)

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

A little of both. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It's definitely more nature. My ds acts like his grandfather; my dd acts like her great grand-mother and the youngest is all daddy's boy!!!!!! ( they just have my good looks LOL)

manifer_momma
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM
A mix of both
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

IMO more nature than nurture, but the environment is still really important. 

theresaphilly
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM

My two oldest have kind of a similar personality, but my twins are very much different. One loves being around people and the other could care less about being around people, this two year old boy allows no one to pick him up. 

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I think it's a mix of both. I think nature is the main factor, but nurture can cause lots of change.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Nature is the base. You can use nurture to channel it, but my three kids have all been raised basically the same way and are still very different.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I think a couple of things about this:

~ Even triplets are not living the same experience in one house growing up: their different personalities mean they pay attention to different things, and those things will mean various things to each of them ... what one thinks was really important another might not even have noticed

~ personality types (like the MBPTI) are really durable and can be tested from early childhood to late adulthood with identical results

~ character may or may not develop, may develop for a while and then stop, or may not start to develop until late in life --which has nothing to do with nurture or nature

~ what happens to us is important to who we become, but it's the us it's happening to that causes meaning: this is why identical circumstances mean such varied things to different people

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN