Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When it comes to your child's personality do you think it's more nature or nurture?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am the oldest of four girls and we couldn't be more different. My mom thinks it just nature of the beast. We are just born who we are...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bek22
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Both.
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Assuming a non-extreme childhood (say, Paris Hilton's or homeless at age 5 in a major metropolitan area) I would say 75% nature, 25% nuture.  When childhoods begin to be extreme in terms of either trauma or privilege, nurture begins to have a more dramatic effect.

excellent answer

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

My oldest adopted daughter is very much like me and the younger is like dad.  They are so much like us it's not even funny. 

Kids live what they learn. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quoting rfurlongg:

Both. But nature is VERY powerful.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO nature more so than nurture.  I recognize distinct `traits' in all the children from the way a few of them sleep to the way my daughter cocks her head when she's deep in thought.  I was called `little Dissy' by my mother (and everyone)  for as long as I can remember  because I so reminded her of my  great grandmother -- a woman I'd never even met.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM

agree with your mom but we are also depends on surroundings

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

both....I believe they are born with a base personality and whatever that personality is how they cope with what life and nurturing throws at them.

I have a block building personna....I take things as they come and put them into place as needed.  Moving me from country to country and school to school made me love meeting new people

My sister has a sensitive doesnt like change personna...moving for her was traumatic and made her more reserved.  She needed more petting as a child.

colljd02
by Julia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I think it definitely starts with nature and over the years nurture can change things here and there with their personality and likes and dislikes.  But I feel nature is the dominant of the two.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Both?!?!

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I think it's both. My son for instance, I like to joke around and say he's 90% DH and 5% me (he has my temper, LOL). How much they are alike is eerie almost. But then there are some things he does that I know are learned behaviors, things he's picked up from watching TV or being around other kids and seeing their attitudes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)