Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a family tradition

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this
My mother was born in El Paso, TX in 1948.

Her mother was born in Beirut, Lebanon in 1927.

Her mother was born in Syria, the city is unknown in 1909.

Her mother was born in Barcelona, Spain in 1884. My great great grandmother (gggm)

Not to get too historical here, in 1896 a terrorist bomb exploited in Barcelona ... It resulted in the arrest of members of some of her immediate family, members she claimed she never got to see again nor heard from every again.

So at the age of twelve, all she had was her sister who was 14 at the time.

These two girls, with no one but each other to take care of em and because of the nature of the arrests of the other family members; the Catholic Church provided no help to these girls.

While my gggm, never admitted (that I know of) that the girls got into prostitution ... It seems to be the case, the girls made their way to Italy. Something happened in Italy around 1901 that got the girls separated. My gggm never got to hear from her again. A year later my gggm married an older Turkish widower merchant. The only family at that time that my gggm knew of was a cousin in America. The two wrote each other every few months for about a decade at which time it stopped (her cousin died, but my gggm didn't find that out until the end of her life in 1933)

Not to get into a lot of detail of the political and historical aspect of the time... My gggm sense of family lost made her start a tradition.

She provided a "blessing" for her first great great great granddaughter to hit the age of 21. That was a few years ago, when my niece hit that age. It was in a seal envelope kept inside a family bible. It was my gggm way of keeping the family connected through generation

But since then, all of us girls have written a blessing (a letter) to our great great great granddaughter that is seal and inside a family bible.

Do you have a tradition you like to share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so special and neat!

I don't have anything that's been passed down to me necessarily, but family is important to me, and I want to keep some of my great grandma, grandma, and mom's things to pass down to my kids as memories, and I want to start new traditions too. I just haven't decided what yet.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this
There is no time like the present to start one.

:)

Quoting Annettey19:

That is so special and neat!

I don't have anything that's been passed down to me necessarily, but family is important to me, and I want to keep some of my great grandma, grandma, and mom's things to pass down to my kids as memories, and I want to start new traditions too. I just haven't decided what yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Every year on New Year's Eve, I bundle up all the cards and letters that have been exchanged through the year, wrap in acid free paper, and pack in a metal tin for my chiodren and grandchildren to see. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
That's wonderful

Quoting eema.gray:

Every year on New Year's Eve, I bundle up all the cards and letters that have been exchanged through the year, wrap in acid free paper, and pack in a metal tin for my chiodren and grandchildren to see. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

OP what a fantastic story.

We have nothing that historical. We are the typical American family with the regular traditions. That said, I completely agree with you that there is not time to start them like the present.

We do little things. Fairies visit the homes my girls made for them on nights of the full moon and leave them coins. DD#1 is getting too old to believe this is true, but she is still very attached to this tradition. I am unsure how much longer we will continue but it is evident she will be doing this for little sis, then prob. her own children in the future.

Both of my children have a "long term" savings jar. We put a percentage of any money they get into it. They are not allowed to spend anything out of it because it is "long term". They understand this concept, that they will be able to spend it some day long in the future and that they are saving for something big. About twice a year, I ask them what they are saving for, then I write it down along with the date and their age and put it in the jar with the money. So far, some of the things include a car, a house, a puppy and a personal jet pack. LOL.

Neon Washable Paint

LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

That's quite a story.

No. We have a close family, and we see a lot of each other... so we don't do grand gestures for rare occasions. This week, we're visiting with my great aunt, who's the last of her generation. She's 91.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I am truly enamored by our elders. My great grandmother had seven living generations under her (lots in my family married young LOL)....She was born in 1898 and died at age 102 in 2001.

She lived alone and self-sufficient until 12 weeks before she died because she broke her hip. After she could no longer care for herself, she let go.

She lived in three different centuries....and that is some story in my book.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's quite a story.

No. We have a close family, and we see a lot of each other... so we don't do grand gestures for rare occasions. This week, we're visiting with my great aunt, who's the last of her generation. She's 91.

Neon Washable Paint

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this
No, but it reminds me of a story.

A newly married woman was making her first ham for Easter dinner. She cut the end off the ham and put the ham in a roasting pan. Her husband asked why she cut off the end. She told him that was the way her mother cooked ham.

So she called her mother and asked why she cut the end off the ham before cooking it. Her mother said that was the way her mother did it. So she called her mother and asked her why she always cut the end off the ham before cooking it. Her mother told her that the ham wouldn't fit in her roasting pan without cutting the end off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That's amazing ... Love hearing stories like this.

Quoting NWP:

I am truly enamored by our elders. My great grandmother had seven living generations under her (lots in my family married young LOL)....She was born in 1898 and died at age 102 in 2001.

She lived alone and self-sufficient until 12 weeks before she died because she broke her hip. After she could no longer care for herself, she let go.

She lived in three different centuries....and that is some story in my book.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's quite a story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonopotamus
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this
We have furthered the tradition that my mom started with us, or more so I guess my grandmother started with her. My mom used to take us up to where she was born and drive us to the reservation my grandma was born on. She would point different things out on the drive like the Indian mission church, the graveyard and graves of my great grandmother, great great grandmother, great great great grandmother and other family members. I have taken it one step farther and started taking my children to the island my great great grandmother was born on. We actually met two shirt tail relatives the last time I took the kids there. We met one at the Ojibwe museum and one on the island.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured