Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
My mother was born in El Paso, TX in 1948.

Her mother was born in Beirut, Lebanon in 1927.

Her mother was born in Syria, the city is unknown in 1909.

Her mother was born in Barcelona, Spain in 1884. My great great grandmother (gggm)

Not to get too historical here, in 1896 a terrorist bomb exploited in Barcelona ... It resulted in the arrest of members of some of her immediate family, members she claimed she never got to see again nor heard from every again.

So at the age of twelve, all she had was her sister who was 14 at the time.

These two girls, with no one but each other to take care of em and because of the nature of the arrests of the other family members; the Catholic Church provided no help to these girls.

While my gggm, never admitted (that I know of) that the girls got into prostitution ... It seems to be the case, the girls made their way to Italy. Something happened in Italy around 1901 that got the girls separated. My gggm never got to hear from her again. A year later my gggm married an older Turkish widower merchant. The only family at that time that my gggm knew of was a cousin in America. The two wrote each other every few months for about a decade at which time it stopped (her cousin died, but my gggm didn't find that out until the end of her life in 1933)

Not to get into a lot of detail of the political and historical aspect of the time... My gggm sense of family lost made her start a tradition.

She provided a "blessing" for her first great great great granddaughter to hit the age of 21. That was a few years ago, when my niece hit that age. It was in a seal envelope kept inside a family bible. It was my gggm way of keeping the family connected through generation

But since then, all of us girls have written a blessing (a letter) to our great great great granddaughter that is seal and inside a family bible.

Do you have a tradition you like to share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Replies (31-31):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:18 AM

That is so neat, I love it

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I have made a scrapbook every year since my kids were born. They are packed away and preserved. They will get them when they're old enough. They each start and end in their birthdays every year. It has photos and special things we do throughout the year. They will even know through these scrapbooks how my pregnancy went with them. They are also in order. Year with them and age of kid.

In out family we always put up the Christmas tree and decorations the Saturday after thanksgiving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)