Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why are people so weird about nudity? especially breasts?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 167 Replies
5 moms liked this
I walk around naked in my house, not all day, but I sleep naked and I'll get out of bed and get my morning routine started naked. I don't get dressed until I'm out of the shower. My daughter, 12, prefers to sleep clothed but will walk around naked after the shower. My family (my grandma, mother, aunts) are all the same. I see no shame in the body in it's natural form. Because of that, we don't view nudity as sexual, unless I'm gonna get me some. Anyway, last night I was watching a movie with a friend and our kids (both 12 yo girls), I'm not big on censorship but I don't like Hannah to watch gore or violent things. The movie wasn't so bad in violence but had one scene where the female character exposed her breasts (not a sex scene). Anyway, the violence scenes pop up and I make Hannah turn her head, my friend allows her child to watch. No biggie. Then comes the boob scene, I say nothing to Hannah but my friend turns her child and says 'uh, Amy, are you going to let Hannah watch this?' Just shocked. All I could think was 'they're boobs, we all have them, why are we making the shameful? You just let your kid see someone get shot and I'm the weird one?'

Am I the weird one?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We are not a `naked' family. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Would you let your child watch a movie with gun violence but shield them from a breast shot on a movie?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

We are not a `naked' family. 

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
That's easy...organized religion
ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this
I know non religious people the same way. I think it's a societal thing. People flip out over breastfeeding in public. It's just off to me. They're boobs, why taboo?

Quoting PinkParadox:

jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Don't know. I sleep naked and walk around naked in my home.

Europe is very relaxed about nudity and does not have a higher rate of sexual assault than the US, so it's not a safety issue.
PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Even in non-religious people. Our society in general is shaped by organized religion. My mom for example, does not believe in much of the religious things she was taught growing up. But, there are many aspects that stay with her from early childhood. Religion is much like brainwashing. Once it's in your psyche you never completely get it out, especially things taught at a very young age.

Quoting ashellbell:

I know non religious people the same way. I think it's a societal thing. People flip out over breastfeeding in public. It's just off to me. They're boobs, why taboo?

Quoting PinkParadox:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Now I'm all hot and bothered thinking of you naked.

Quoting jllcali:

Don't know. I sleep naked and walk around naked in my home.

Europe is very relaxed about nudity and does not have a higher rate of sexual assault than the US, so it's not a safety issue.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this
We walk around naked at home while getting ready in the morning or ready for bed. We're all comfortable with it. That said, we've also told our kids that our bodies are private, not for everyone else's eyes. I feel they need to understand that because they go to friends' houses and not everyone else will be comfortable with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Good point. What's weird is my family is religious lol. My grandma always says that hid brought her here in the nude, she might as well oblige.

Quoting PinkParadox:

Even in non-religious people. Our society in general is shaped by organized religion. My mom for example, does not believe in much of the religious things she was taught growing up. But, there are many aspects that stay with her from early childhood. Religion is much like brainwashing. Once it's in your psyche you never completely get it out, especially things taught at a very young age.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting PinkParadox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN