Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why are people so weird about nudity? especially breasts?

Posted by   + Show Post
I walk around naked in my house, not all day, but I sleep naked and I'll get out of bed and get my morning routine started naked. I don't get dressed until I'm out of the shower. My daughter, 12, prefers to sleep clothed but will walk around naked after the shower. My family (my grandma, mother, aunts) are all the same. I see no shame in the body in it's natural form. Because of that, we don't view nudity as sexual, unless I'm gonna get me some. Anyway, last night I was watching a movie with a friend and our kids (both 12 yo girls), I'm not big on censorship but I don't like Hannah to watch gore or violent things. The movie wasn't so bad in violence but had one scene where the female character exposed her breasts (not a sex scene). Anyway, the violence scenes pop up and I make Hannah turn her head, my friend allows her child to watch. No biggie. Then comes the boob scene, I say nothing to Hannah but my friend turns her child and says 'uh, Amy, are you going to let Hannah watch this?' Just shocked. All I could think was 'they're boobs, we all have them, why are we making the shameful? You just let your kid see someone get shot and I'm the weird one?'

Am I the weird one?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (161-167):
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

It's our culture. 

bonnie555
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
It was on a soap opera, bold and the beautiful. She doesn't get to watch a lot of tv so if its on she'll watch whatever. My mom loves b and b and was watching it.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You allowed your 4 year old to watch a sex scene? On purpose? Like it wasn't an accident? 

Quoting bonnie555:

We're a naked family. We want our kids to grow up with a haelthy attitude toward nudity. Also sex, I explained a mild sex scene in a movie to my 4 year old the other day by saying they are grown ups loving eachother. Simple as that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funnymommy71
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I totally agree! She is 5 and asks me the most awesome questions like last night, "Mommy, why do girls have boobs?". Such an honest question and the #1 reason of course..... to feed our babies as I did you and your brother and like other mammals (explain who they are) do too. Boobs are SO sexualized that is why public nursing in US is such a big deal. I am 3rd generation Scandinavian and of course nudity and by extension, nursing is viewed much differently in Europe. DS was always next to me when I nursed her (he was 5 then) to help with homework or read, and it was natural for him. Some people found that weird- he SAW your boobs?  Ummm ya and it was no big deal. I also have a much bigger problem with violence than a 1-2 minute boob scene that my kids might see on TV or movies for sure!

Quoting ashellbell:

Exactly. I've never been taught to feel shamed by any part of my body and my daughter won't either. I think when we teach our kids that they're taboo it can lead to harmful situations.

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

I'm with you on this one. My dd's think my boobs are just another part of my body like arms and legs. They've seen me naked plenty of times. Nudity is not threatening to me, and I don't teach my kids to be threatened by it either.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Humans covering up is pretty natural. Why are we the only naked land animals?  Maybe the water got too cold.

Think of the world where toilet paper did not exist and our excrement was left beside the paths we traveled. If there is no way to thoroughly clean your butt or after a movement or soak up your menstruation then a well placed loincloth is not only showing consideration for your fellow tribe members but also might offer a degree of protection from some of the many insects that thrive in warm, moist environments. And predators....picking up on scents...with olefactory senses far superior to ours...I might feel safer covering up any parts that may carry more scent than other parts even if it is not very effective in throwing predators off.

Also, as we do not have scales, feathers or fur, different environments forced different reasons for covering up upon mankind whether it was for reasons of temperature, camoflauge or protection from poison oak and other irritants.

edited for so many spelling errors. don't think I caught them all.

The cure for anything is saltwater.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I have no idea...I've never understood this either...we have parts, we're human...I was raised in a home that didn't make a big deal over nudity either...it happens...all women have breasts, my children don't see a big deal with it either...

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

*shrug* my child has seen boobs...she survived.

etsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Because nude bodies have been over sexualized, breasts especially. We aren't too concerned about breasts, Penises and vagina's we shield the kids from. I am a spiritual person and I don't think their should be shame in the body being nude, but modesty is what is expected by society.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured