Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

(For those who celebrate) what are you...

Posted by   + Show Post

having for Easter dinner?

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Replies (81-90):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I just need to come up with a dessert that I'd like to bring. My famiy always has an over abundance of treats lol. 

Quoting candlegal:

Sounds delicious

Quoting fireangel5:

Parents are making ham and scalloped potatoes, I'm making strawberry pretzel salad and roasted asparagus, not sure what my sister and SIL's are bringing. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I was so sure it was some special store or something :) I've only seen lamb once in a grocery store and it was at Safeway. It was from new Zealand so we bought and cooked it, and it was horrible lol maybe it was the way we cooked it, but I might give it another try! Thanks.
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I think it depends on where you are. Easter is a festival in churches here, for sure, but it's the Christmas services that bring out all the annual visitors...

For decades, the only service my inlaws ever went to was Christmas, not Easter. If you asked them, they'd self-identify as Christians.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Easter is a much more important holiday than Christmas for Christians.  It is the very crux of the religion, Jesus dies on the cross and is resurrected.  Although Christmas gets better press, what with all the gifts and such.  

Quoting LindaClement:

I knew that for folks like Greek Orthodox, it's a much bigger festival than Christmas.

Quoting candlegal:

Your are welcome.    This is actually the most important week of the year on the Christian calendar.

We celebrate Holy Thursday  and good Friday as well as the Easter Vigil on Saturday night and of course Easter Sunday.

Quoting LindaClement:

Thanks... very informative!

Quoting candlegal:

Palm or Passion Sunday is the first day of Holy week.

Fifth Sunday of Lent

Until 1959, the fifth Sunday of Lent was known as Passion Sunday.[7] It marked the beginning of a two-week-long period known as Passiontide, which is still observed by various denominations in Protestantism and by some traditionalist Catholics. In 1960, Pope John XXIII's Code of Rubrics changed the name for that Sunday to "First Sunday of the Passion"[8] bringing the name into harmony with the name that Pope Pius XII gave, five years earlier, to the sixth Sunday of Lent, "Second Sunday of the Passion or Palm Sunday".

Pope Paul VI's revision in 1969 removed a distinction that existed (although with overlap) between Lent and Passiontide, which began with the fifth Sunday of Lent. The distinction, explicit in the 1960 Code of Rubrics,[9] predates it.[10] He removed from the fifth Sunday of Lent the reference to the Passion.

Although Passiontide as a distinct liturgical season was thus abolished, the Roman Rite liturgy continues to bring the Passion of Christ to mind, from Monday of the fifth week of Lent onward, through the choice of hymns, the use on the weekdays of the fifth week of Lent of Preface I of the Passion of the Lord, with Preface II of the Passion of the Lord being used on the first three weekdays of Holy Week, and the authorization of the practice of covering crosses and images from the fifth Sunday of Lent onward, if the Conference of Bishops so decides. Where this practice is followed, crucifixes remain covered until the end of the Good Friday celebration of the Lord's Passion; statues remain covered until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.[11]

Quoting LindaClement:

Ah. 

What's 'palm sunday'?

I've heard the words (and didn't know it was synonymous with 'passion sunday') but I have no idea what they refer to.

Quoting candlegal:

Easter is one week from today.  It is always the week after Palm Sunday.  It is also called Passion Sunday.

Quoting LindaClement:

Oh.

I don't think I know what that means... 

Quoting candlegal:

Today is Palm Sunday.    One week from today.

Quoting LindaClement:

When's Easter this year?

aidenmommy2011
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

not sure yet. maybe a roast or chicken

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Depends on if we are done moving my mom. Ugh... At this point I just hope to see my grandson hunt some eggs. 

Kayla2013
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Not sure. I'm guessing no family gathering since dh and I just got married this past weekend and it was kinda our Easter celebration. An dh has to work and I'm guessing i do too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Ham, Scalloped potatos, homemade rolls, an assortment of steamed veggies, and salad.  We are having dinner at my parents house for Easter, and that is the menu. I am making dessert. Not sure what I am making yet. I was thinking carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

sampson200
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM

My parents will be vacationing in Sedonda and we will be staying home instead of traveling. Since we all grew up and have our own busy lives and kids now, I am lucky to have relaxed parents who just let us do what we need to do.

Our childhood Easters were spent on the gulf shores with sand buckets and shovels for Easter gifts and playing on the beach and swimming all day. Cherished vacations.

Some years we have done this tradition with our kids, but Easter just has never been a big party in our immediate family, and I was raised in a semi-religious household. We would pray before meals and on Easter my father would thank God for the ressurection of his Son

But we didn't do huge meals.

Now it's more a reason to get together, but Christmas is our only real religious holiday, Easter is more of a quiet 'thank you' and we enjoy each other and this natural earth.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Growing up, my best friends family used to have rabbit on Easter too.  But they were from Belgium, and they had some strange (compared to American) food stuff that they ate.  Not saying eating rabbit isn't right, but it's unusual and it reminded me of my friend who I haven't seen in many years. 

Quoting Sekirei:

rabbit stew.

and I celebrate the Pagan version

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Normally we would have ham with all the trimmings, but I think I'm going to skip it this year.  I'm throwing a birthday party the day before for my granddaughter and I don't feel like making two big meals in one weekend.  I haven't invited anyone over for Easter, and we haven't been invited anywhere, so it's not a big deal to skip it.  We're Atheist so we don't celebrate the religious parts of the holiday, we just celebrate it more as a welcome to Spring.  I might end up taking my teens out to a sugar house for a pancake breakfast and then going on a hike if the weather is good enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)