Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mental Healthcare question for people on the right.

Posted by   + Show Post

One thing that gun advocates and people who supports bans seem to agree on is that the country needs better health care.  One way people can get better mental care is more funding going into public health care. Conservatives are usually against tax dollars going into social programs. So what do the Conservatives/Libertarian's think on Cafemom? If we focus on the mental health, how can we get people the care need?

How do conservatives feel about spending more money on mental health care?

Update:

Well, that went just as I thought...

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (21-21):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Yep lots of tied hands. All you can do is hope and pray. I have been watching his facebook because he left himself logged in months ago. It is like a view into ted bundy's mind or someone like him in real time. I am the reason the cops finally got him on the drug charge warrant. For all the good it did. He has been busted so many times they COULD lock him up for yrs but they don't for some reason. Psychiatric help would do mothing for him. Can't cure psychopathy.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Law needs to change.  The Domestic laws her are strict but it amazed me sometimes who goes to prison and who doesnt,  My ex has spent a yr county time for his max sentence.  He has probably 40 DV related charges yet never been to prison.  Another man I know had 3 and went to prison for 2 yrs.

How the law is enforced should be further legislated.  Money should never by an abuser a lighter sentence.  Nor should other factors.  Your cousin should be held as criminally insane perhaps but under the current system there is nowhere to put him.  Today when they are diagnosed and prescribed the courts will at times be lenient because they dont want the mentally ill incarcerated necessarily but its my opinion that we need all those hospitals they closed.  72 hrs just isnt long enough to monitor people.

Quoting Carpy:

And even then what ya gonna do? my cousin was committed on a 72 hr hold. They labeled him a paranoid scitzo gave him meds and sent him home. He is a meth head, psychopath, sexual predator and a woman beater. not just slaping around but brutal. He knows who he can prey on, he isolates them from family and friends etc.. and he is one kill away from a serial killer. He will seem like just the sweetest guy in the world until he gets a girl in his snare. The the real Wes comes out. Then the fear of throwing him in jail is worse than the fear of living with him. I have talked so much to the law as well as a couple of his ex gfs and they still only locked him up for 90 days on his latest drug charge. He has a new gf that he just got with a few days before he got locked up. Even with all the warnings she has received from his own family and people who have known him all his life, she refuses to listen. she is angry at us all for dissing on "her babe". All we can do is sit back and hope she isn't the one he finally kills. She is what you would call "the perfect victim".

Quoting survivorinohio:

I would probably agree with that but I am sure many of the families knew there were issues prior to the crimes. 

To the OP, I think the system needs a lot more focus on mental health.  I think that families need tools to really help their loved ones from identifying problems to treating them.  Money is an issue of course but so is law.

I also do not think that other healthcare is less important even as it relates to gun laws.  Mental illness makes people do things but so does desperation.

Quoting Carpy:

Most people who are of the mind to do a mass shooting, do not believe they need help.

Quoting EireLass:

You can have as much health care available as you want....you can't make anyone seek help. Why don't those people seek help? Well, if they're male, society has pounded into them that it's not manly to be emotional. It's not manly to need help. It's really not manly to need emotional help. They don't know how to ask for the help they need. Someone needs to be the voice for them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)