Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Easter Really A Pagan Festival?

Posted by   + Show Post

Easter falls this year on March 31, but what exactly are we celebrating?

While it is true that Christians have for centuries celebrated Easter Sunday as the day of Jesus Christ’s resurrection, the roots of the Easter holiday’s traditions and activities can be traced back to pagan celebrations: the word Easter appears only once in some versions of the Bible, and even then it is actually a mistranslation of the Greek word for Passover, the festival that Jesus would have celebrated.

That’s why strict Puritans in the past would have nothing to do with Easter, merely a human invention.

Where Does The Word Easter Come From?

There are several theories on the derivation of this name, but most experts agree that the name Eostre is a corruption of Astarte, the mother goddess of the ancient Assyrians, also known as Ishtar. Eostre was the goddess of rebirth, and in early times the feast of Eostre, around the time of the spring equinox, celebrated earth’s resurrection and rebirth.

During the 2nd century, early Christians attempting to convert pagan worshippers called their Christian celebration “Ostara” which later became “Easter.”

What about the resurrection of Christ?

Here too, Christians made the pragmatic decision to incorporate acceptance of ancient pagan practices into their religion. The general symbolic story of the death of the son (sun) on a cross (the constellation of the Southern Cross) and his rebirth, overcoming the powers of darkness, appears in many myths throughout the ancient world.

There were also plenty of stories of amazing resurrections from the dead. In fact, according to myth, the goddess Ishtar herself was hung naked on a stake, and was later resurrected and ascended from the underworld.

Celebrating The Spring Equinox

But for millennia before the Christian religion imposed its beliefs, people were celebrating the spring equinox, possibly the oldest holiday in human culture. For a world tied to the rhythms of nature, the end of winter, a dead, dark season and the beginning of spring, with the rebirth of life, must have been a truly joyful time.

Interestingly, the early Christians recognized this and used the spring equinox to determine the Easter date. In 325, the Council of Nicaea decided that Easter would be the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the March equinox. (Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Easter on a different date.)

All Things Easter: Bunnies, Eggs, Hot Cross Buns

Easter has so many fun things! For bunnies, we go back to Eostre again: her symbol was a rabbit or a hare. According to ancient myth, she owned a magic hare that hibernated all winter underground and bounded to life every spring, giving out presents to good children.

Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. The egg has represented fertility and restoration for a long time, probably long before our ancestors had any knowledge of sperm and ova. Eggs are perfect symbols of the regeneration that comes with spring.

And The Guardian explains:

Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead.

Personally, I love this season because the days are longer, I don’t have to wake up and go to work in the dark, and I know that summer, with the promise of adventures in nature, is coming!

Happy Easter everyone!

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/is-easter-really-a-pagan-festival.html#ixzz2OWJI62hY
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Replies (71-78):
blurp
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

You are in the right mindset. 

Easter the name from aoester or something that spelling, anyway,......

easter isn't a term used in bibles I've read, and I've read tons of translations.  Easter is a pagan festival I suppose to conjour up a theme for spring, and renewal a fertile-ness. 

I think people just jump to it to have convenience for the children and blend it together with resurrection of Jesus so children are essentially given a ''child's innocence '' type of celebration of something new and beautiful,  and Jesus wanted a new earth and a beautiful way to live in it.   Clean , bright, happy, loving creatures and happy, clean well not sick, humans without any death.   We also will be resurrected.

It's a great future to look forward to.  With everything high tech and robotic it's surely going to be amazing when we are surrounded by newly formed mountains, 100% clear water, and new life.

Just think the positive promise. IT'S REAL.Quoting lifeforchrist:

THANK YOU. Im sick of willy nilly Christians promoting this garbage. SHOW ME BIBLE FOR IT. If Easter were about the Resurrection the date would never change... There is even Bible for rebuking the stupid sunrise services they do...

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

:D

How could you possibly forget it, it's on EVERY year (usually right before Ben Hur :D)

Quoting Donna6503:

LOL. I forgot about that movie, I was just thinking of the " Sunday best" dress as one goes to church.

:)

Quoting LindaClement:

That whole 'Easter parade' thing... 

... does that still happen, or was it really only an American thing when Judy Garland was fake-eyelash-free?

Quoting Donna6503:

Well, since the resurrection story in the Bible, didn't have Jesus coming out of the tomb looking for chocolate baby bunnies and colored eggs in bushes. Nor did it look like He commanded everyone to wear a fancy hat to march on Main Street, nor did He start playing with His peeps when He was witness by those that saw Him after his death. I feel it is a safe bet, that there are pagan traditions behind the celebration of Easter.

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM

What are you on? The Bible GIVES the date for passover.

"In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover."  Leviticus  23:5

and imagine that NO MOON CYCLES NEEDED.And here is the definitions of astronomy vs. astrology

astrology:
"the divination of the supposed influences of the stars and planets on human affairs and terrestrial events by their positions and aspects"

astronomy:scientific study of universe: the scientific study of the universe, especially of the motions, positions, sizes, composition, and behavior of astronomical objects.

and here we have how Easter is decided...by ASTROLOGY. Nothing to do with the RESSURECTON and everything to do with the pagan cycles and festivals. It is NOT Christian in any way shape or form.

OSTARA is one of the Lesser Wiccan Sabbats, and is usually celebrated on the Vernal or Spring Equinox right around March 21. Easter is determined as the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox.
Vernal equinox:
"Vernal" means, appearing or occurring in the Spring. "Equinox" points to the time when the sun crosses the planet’s equator. When this occurs, night and day are of equal length in all parts of the earth for that day. The Vernal Equinox occurs on or about March 21st. This day was significant for Pagan sun worshippers because it marked the point where they believed the sun had been fully "resurrected" from it’s death during the Winter Solstice. This of course is one of the other Pagan festivals (Christmas.)

and to conclude some verses to confirm astrology is forbidden and Easter is not supported by the Bible.

"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." Galatians 4:9-12

"And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth." Jeremiah 8:2

Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:13-14

Quoting EireLass:

There is no actual date known. Same with Christmas. There is no actual date known for Passover. You're confusing astrology with astronomy. They did have the knowledge of astronomy and lived accordingly. The Bible does not speak ill of it, there isn't anything bad about it. The moon exists, and creates seasons, etc.

Quoting lifeforchrist:
Quoting EireLass:

It has to do with Passover, and the full moon. The Last Supper (Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday) is on the full moon, and Easter is always the sunday following.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

THANK YOU. Im sick of willy nilly Christians promoting this garbage. SHOW ME BIBLE FOR IT. If Easter were about the Resurrection the date would never change... There is even Bible for rebuking the stupid sunrise services they do...

Again my statement remains that if it were the Ressurection date it would not change. They use astrology to pick the date of easter, which we see is forbidden in the Bible. And we see in the Bible that there are two seperate passovers noted. The one Jesus had with his diciples and the one the Pharisee's observed after His death.

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Easter is mentioned in the KJV bible, the only Bible that translates it. ANd I am a KJV bible believer.

It's an apostate celebration and pagan, no Christian should have any part of. God Himself tells us to NOT worship Him as the pagans worship their Gods.

Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods." Deuteronomy 12:30&31

I believe in the Resurrection, that we will be as Christ. I would not belittle such a thing to say we will be 'happy clean and bright' We will be sinless and worshipping the Lord of Heaven for eternity in the New Jerusalem, after this world passes away. As for robotic I have no idea what you are on. But I believe the Bible. And no such thing is named in the Bible. In no way does the bible tell us to 'be positive' we are to rebuke truth. And I rebuke Easter. It did not come from Christ.

Quoting blurp:

You are in the right mindset. 

Easter the name from aoester or something that spelling, anyway,......

easter isn't a term used in bibles I've read, and I've read tons of translations.  Easter is a pagan festival I suppose to conjour up a theme for spring, and renewal a fertile-ness. 

I think people just jump to it to have convenience for the children and blend it together with resurrection of Jesus so children are essentially given a ''child's innocence '' type of celebration of something new and beautiful,  and Jesus wanted a new earth and a beautiful way to live in it.   Clean , bright, happy, loving creatures and happy, clean well not sick, humans without any death.   We also will be resurrected.

It's a great future to look forward to.  With everything high tech and robotic it's surely going to be amazing when we are surrounded by newly formed mountains, 100% clear water, and new life.

Just think the positive promise. IT'S REAL.Quoting lifeforchrist:

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

thank youuuuuuuu

Quoting rliperote2:

The Encyclopaedia Britannica (11th edition) says in the article Easter:

"The name Easter, like the names of the days of the week, is a survival from the old Teutonic mythology. According to Bede [an eight century monk] it is derived from Eostre, or Ostdra, the AngloSaxon goddess of spring, to whom the month answering to our April, and called Eostermonath, was dedicated."

Later studies indicate the word may be derived from an ancient festival celebrated in the spring in honor of the rising sun.

Many of the customs associated with Easter harken back to ancient and nonChristian religious practices. The Encylopaedia Britannica says, regarding the egg:

"the egg as a symbol of fertility and of renewed life goes back to the ancient Egyptians and Persians, who had also the custom of colouring and eating eggs during their spring festival." (article Easter).

Jesuit author Francis X. Weiser in "The Easter Book", pages 15, 181 and 188, says:

"Just as many Christian customs and similar observance had their origin in preChristian times, so, too some of the popular traditions of.... Easter dates back to ancient nature rites... The origin of the Easter egg is based on the fertility lore of the IndoEuropean races...The Easter bunny had its origin in preChristian fertility lore. Hare and rabbit were the most fertile animals our forefathers knew, serving as symbols of ... new life in the spring season".

So we see that Easter, its celebrations and traditions long predates Christianity, but few ever stop to ask, just what does all this have to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

History shows that Easter was not a tradition of the Apostles and the early Church. The Encyclopedia Britannica further states about the holiday in its article entitled Easter:

"There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians, who continued to observe the Jewish festivals, though in a new spirit, as commemorations of events which those festivals had foreshadowed. Thus the Passover, with a new conception added to it of Christ, as the true Paschal Lamb and the first fruits from the dead, continued to be observed, and became the Christian Easter."

rliperote2
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Funny no one says anything when you give them facts so typical lol

Quoting lifeforchrist:

thank youuuuuuuu

Quoting rliperote2:

The Encyclopaedia Britannica (11th edition) says in the article Easter:

"The name Easter, like the names of the days of the week, is a survival from the old Teutonic mythology. According to Bede [an eight century monk] it is derived from Eostre, or Ostdra, the AngloSaxon goddess of spring, to whom the month answering to our April, and called Eostermonath, was dedicated."

Later studies indicate the word may be derived from an ancient festival celebrated in the spring in honor of the rising sun.

Many of the customs associated with Easter harken back to ancient and nonChristian religious practices. The Encylopaedia Britannica says, regarding the egg:

"the egg as a symbol of fertility and of renewed life goes back to the ancient Egyptians and Persians, who had also the custom of colouring and eating eggs during their spring festival." (article Easter).

Jesuit author Francis X. Weiser in "The Easter Book", pages 15, 181 and 188, says:

"Just as many Christian customs and similar observance had their origin in preChristian times, so, too some of the popular traditions of.... Easter dates back to ancient nature rites... The origin of the Easter egg is based on the fertility lore of the IndoEuropean races...The Easter bunny had its origin in preChristian fertility lore. Hare and rabbit were the most fertile animals our forefathers knew, serving as symbols of ... new life in the spring season".

So we see that Easter, its celebrations and traditions long predates Christianity, but few ever stop to ask, just what does all this have to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

History shows that Easter was not a tradition of the Apostles and the early Church. The Encyclopedia Britannica further states about the holiday in its article entitled Easter:

"There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians, who continued to observe the Jewish festivals, though in a new spirit, as commemorations of events which those festivals had foreshadowed. Thus the Passover, with a new conception added to it of Christ, as the true Paschal Lamb and the first fruits from the dead, continued to be observed, and became the Christian Easter."

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't watch TV. But, yes I should've known and remember that movie

Lol

Thanks Linda for the reminder ;)

Quoting LindaClement:

:D

How could you possibly forget it, it's on EVERY year (usually right before Ben Hur :D)

Quoting Donna6503:

LOL. I forgot about that movie, I was just thinking of the " Sunday best" dress as one goes to church.

:)

Quoting LindaClement:

That whole 'Easter parade' thing... 

... does that still happen, or was it really only an American thing when Judy Garland was fake-eyelash-free?

Quoting Donna6503:

Well, since the resurrection story in the Bible, didn't have Jesus coming out of the tomb looking for chocolate baby bunnies and colored eggs in bushes. Nor did it look like He commanded everyone to wear a fancy hat to march on Main Street, nor did He start playing with His peeps when He was witness by those that saw Him after his death. I feel it is a safe bet, that there are pagan traditions behind the celebration of Easter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)